Buying a game again if you have the Rom

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Buying a game if you already have the Rom poll

YES I would buy the game Officially
77%
No i already own an illegal copy
13%
Not sure Brian Blessed Beard Andre the Giant
10%

Total votes: 31

aztecca

Buying a game again if you have the Rom

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:48 am

So just poll i wondered if people would answer as it was mentioned in another thread .

If you had a game ROM downloaded illegally that you had on Mame/Hyperspin/Hacked PSP etc that you never had the rights too.Would you then buy the said game again if it got a release on XBLA,PSN etc.

Cheers
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

aztecca

Re: Buying a game again if you have the Rom

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:51 am

Personally i have voted yes as i have done it numerous times.And dont believe that downloading a rom would stop you buying it again.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 am

Ummm, depends on how good the game is, and if there were additional features and functionality of paying for it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 am

Sometimes I have, sometimes I havent. So when i didnt it was lost revenue to the industry. I voted for Brian Blessed.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 am

I no longer use roms so the question probably no longer applies to me. I have however bought loads of re-released games on XBLA such as Marvel vs capcom, contra, sonic.

I have in fact around 100, and I actually own the original games of most of them, so I dare say I would still buy them if I owned the roms.

The problme is with owning emulators you own thousands of games and most of them you have no interets in, so I dare say rom owners would only buy ones they are interested in, if they decided to buy that is.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:17 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I no longer use roms so the question probably no longer applies to me. I have however bought loads of re-released games on XBLA such as Marvel vs capcom, contra, sonic.

I have in fact around 100, and I actually own the original games of most of them, so I dare say I would still buy them if I owned the roms.

The problme is with owning emulators you own thousands of games and most of them you have no interets in, so I dare say rom owners would only buy ones they are interested in, if they decided to buy that is.
ROM owners using emulators, I can see an advantage buying the game, as its likely the game and experience is somewhat compromised by using an emulator (glitchy). Not sure I see any advantage of buying a game if you have an Everdrive of some sort, or other flashcart, as the experience is 100% and runs natively.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:18 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I no longer use roms so the question probably no longer applies to me. I have however bought loads of re-released games on XBLA such as Marvel vs capcom, contra, sonic.

So what you saying is that owning all them roms never harmed the games industry because you went on to buy 100's of them officially putting money into the games industry.Was any of the legal downloads you made due to you first enjoying the game as a pirated rom?

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 am

Nowadays I'll normally only use a rom it I have the original already.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:33 am

aztecca wrote:

So what you saying is that owning all them roms never harmed the games industry because you went on to buy 100's of them officially putting money into the games industry.Was any of the legal downloads you made due to you first enjoying the game as a pirated rom?
No, every game I bought was a game I remembered enjoying as a kid.

I stopped using roms because 1. I prefer originals, and 2. I just don't like using roms.

Playing roms had no bearing on me buying any later rereleased games, if anything if I was really into emulation I would probably not bother buying a rereleased product. So actually not having roms and stopping using them has probably created a situation where I will buy more.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:38 am

It's definitely the case on many an occasion where playing a ROM has helped me make better purchasing choices.
Try before you buy and all that...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 am

If I didn't need them for taking screenshots I wouldn't have any ROMs on my computer at all.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:45 am

If the games good I try to track it down, its its rubbish then no

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am

Yes. Done it loads of times and will carry on doing it - if the game is something I enjoyed.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 am

Done I many times, if the re-released game is at a reasonable price.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:18 am

The Laird wrote:If I didn't need them for taking screenshots I wouldn't have any ROMs on my computer at all.
Does that mean the screen shots in RG are of pirated software?

:wink:

Eat your nans pants