Your gaming/collecting goals for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Misery

Re: Your gaming/collecting goals for 2015

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:47 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Thats pricey for a machine that can't even play mariokart

No it isnt.

Chances are if I'm going to build a new machine, I'll go way further than that. My current one was... $1200, I think? If I do get a new one here at some point this year, good chance it'll be more expensive than that. Still, lists like that do help me get ideas as to what I want to do with it, so I'm probably going to hold onto those suggestions.

Besides, it's worth it, considering that I have more full games on this thing than the total selection of any one of the 3 consoles, and that's NOT counting the roms. That and it's the machine I use for *everything*, not just gaming. Since it has so much purpose in my case, I may as well go out.

I have about 5 or so games on the Wii U, and that number is not likely to go much higher anytime soon; all I'm after beyond that is the Mario platformers that I dont already have. I havent found anything else interesting beyond that. At least not yet. There's just no store around here that has a GOOD and FULL selection of what's currently out... the bloody Gamestops usually dedicate half of the thing's available display space for #(%&^ing Skylanders. UGH. Heck, if anyone has some decent suggestions, I'm all ears. But the real reason I bought the console was two things: 1, Monster Hunter, and 2, Smash. For THOSE games... worth it, as far as I'm concerned. I'll get about a bazillionty hours out of each of those. They are fantastic. Smash in particular.

The main problem with the computer bit though: Me and hardware do not mix. We dont get along very well. Me trying to put the horrid thing together on my own is likely to not end very well. I do software, not hardware. So I have to find someone around here to do it for me. Which got just a TAD irritating last time. So I end up really procrastinating a ton with stuff like this. It's even worse when something needs FIXING. "Fixing", to me, involves things like duct tape, hitting it with something, and alot of shouting. Needless to say, electronics are not fond of things like that. Right now, the audio card isnt working very well, for reasons that I havent bothered to find out, because argh. With winter raging, I dont have the patience at the moment. So... solution: The TV that sits next to the monitor is now the speakers for the thing, thanks to the HDMI port in the video card. So.... yeah. Solutions like THAT. It's just as ridiculous as it sounds. Works though.

While I dont use the consoles all that much, I'm glad I dont have to put up with that sort of crap with them. The Wii U is basically indestructible, and while I'm not sure yet about the PS4, the PS3 was very resistant to damage, so that thing is likely to be as well. So THAT is a nice change of pace.

Now if only I was better at NOT losing track of where the damn discs are....

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Sorry to say it, but nothing. Moving to my new house means my budget is very tight so any purchases will be restricted to genuine bargains only

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I feel quite pleased with the progress I am making on my ps1 collection,the last year its come on in leaps and bounds, I hope to continue that momentum. have bought some real bargains on the second hand market and thanks to some members on here picked up some nice additions (thanks again guys :D ). still have a long way to go, as my list for ps1 is huge, its the main one I want to collect for.
i'm slowing down a bit on gamecube as I realise there aren't that many more games I want to get for it ,i'm kind of getting the essential ones I really want and have personally been interested in playing. so I might be chopping down that initial list I drew up as it was quite big when I first planned it out. i've also slowed down on 3ds a bit ,there isn't a huge amount I have an interest in thats upcoming aside from one or two games, i've wondered if getting the new 3ds will reignite my interest? currently i've more of an interest in wii u. I plan on getting a wii u at some point and picking up games for that ,I can also start properly looking into wii once I get that.
one thing I would like is to get more mega cd games, I made a start but sort of slowed down a bit (I think my mega cd might be faulty? :? ) I guess this gives me an excuse to try and find a generation 2 model! I did plan on looking into loads of other retro consoles but never got around to it, saturn, dreamcast,pc engine, I may not get around to these for a while.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Analog wrote:(I think my mega cd might be faulty? :? ) I guess this gives me an excuse to try and find a generation 2 model!
If it's completely dead then it could be just the fuse inside which is a common problem. A related problem is that a lot of the DIY repair guides online only seem to cover the fuse change in an MCD2 :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

This year, well, I think I want to fill the holes in my PS3 collection, but those holes are few and far between. Not at all ready to move onto xone or ps4.

After a few nominal PS games, GT 1,2 and 3. Turok Evolution also.

Hope to release a video game this year, well within the next few months which is my main goal.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Suppose one of mine is to get thought all my to-play pile and maybe shift a few PS2 games as that shelf is getting silly

maybe get some more 2600/7800 games

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:05 pm

DPrinny wrote:Suppose one of mine is to get thought all my to-play pile and maybe shift a few PS2 games as that shelf is getting silly

I think we should all take up skiing and buy a tree.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:07 pm

koopa42 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Suppose one of mine is to get thought all my to-play pile and maybe shift a few PS2 games as that shelf is getting silly

I think we should all take up skiing and buy a tree.
Ive tried skiing with trees the branches get in the way

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Analog wrote:(I think my mega cd might be faulty? :? ) I guess this gives me an excuse to try and find a generation 2 model!
If it's completely dead then it could be just the fuse inside which is a common problem. A related problem is that a lot of the DIY repair guides online only seem to cover the fuse change in an MCD2 :(
I have a suspicion it could be the laser,could be completely wrong though. I tried the games I got with it and they took forever to load, logo was very slow to boot and stuttered to a crawl at times. I then figured trying a rom burned to disc might be an easy way to determine whats going on ,as mcd has no copy protection I thought I would know if the burned game played then it was the games that were too badly scratched and i'll need to get them resurfaced. game didn't load though, either the rom is faulty or the discs are incompatible with the mega cd, tried loads of different combinations of roms and differing cdr brands with no luck. so there's a good chance it could be the hardware, would make sense if its the laser, the ones in the first gen mega cd consoles will be really old cd laser tech. if it is i'm not sure if I fancy changing it myself... I tried to take apart and reassemble a gba and ended up with more screws than when I started :lol: . electronic hardware assembly is not really my forte!
I might try getting some more games which are in better condition.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am

My goal is to unseal & play the following 360/PS3 games this year.

Skyrim
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age 2
Red Dead Redemption GOTY
Fable Anniversary
Fable 3
The Witcher 2
Dishonored GOTY
Alan Wake
Deadly Premonition

Yep, not much chance of that happening. :lol:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 am

Morkin wrote:My goal is to unseal & play the following 360/PS3 games this year.

Skyrim
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age 2
Red Dead Redemption GOTY
Fable Anniversary
Fable 3
The Witcher 2
Dishonored GOTY
Alan Wake
Deadly Premonition

Yep, not much chance of that happening. :lol:
There is a lifetime of gaming right there, some of those games I will play for the rest of my life.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

The Laird wrote:None. I have pretty much everything I want to own.

Might get rid of some stuff though.
I am pretty much here too. My stuff is general in very good condition so I'm just replacing a few bits here and there to bring everything up to that standard. No more than 10 things on the list now though.

Here are my goals...

1) Play more games, finish more games (I have a list that I track each year)
2) Get games room sorted, everything is in boxes and the place needs completely redecorating - the only thing I've done so far is rip out the built in wardrobes and install 4 CAT 6 network sockets
3) Least important - finish up replacing odd bits in my collection (only about 10 things to go)
4) Slim down my collection a bit
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Analog wrote:I have a suspicion it could be the laser,could be completely wrong though. I tried the games I got with it and they took forever to load, logo was very slow to boot and stuttered to a crawl at times. I then figured trying a rom burned to disc might be an easy way to determine whats going on ,as mcd has no copy protection I thought I would know if the burned game played then it was the games that were too badly scratched and i'll need to get them resurfaced. game didn't load though, either the rom is faulty or the discs are incompatible with the mega cd, tried loads of different combinations of roms and differing cdr brands with no luck. so there's a good chance it could be the hardware, would make sense if its the laser, the ones in the first gen mega cd consoles will be really old cd laser tech. if it is i'm not sure if I fancy changing it myself... I tried to take apart and reassemble a gba and ended up with more screws than when I started :lol: . electronic hardware assembly is not really my forte!
I might try getting some more games which are in better condition.
It may be that older lasers are more sensitive to damaged discs though I'm not 100% on that. I know my 3DO used to play up with just mildly scratched discs when it came to FMV sections. Perhaps if you can pick-up a cheap/common game with a mint disc then you can eliminate the games that way otherwise yeah, sounds like the laser could be knackered (or might just need a clean!).

It won't be fuse as I previously suggested because that's an issue relating to no power which I thought you had but since it fires up then the fuse is fine!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:25 am

I'm aiming to grab those last few titles i want for the PS3 and 360 and seeing as we have a baby on the way, i can't imagine there's gonna be a lot of time for anything else. Maybe i'll get to pick up the odd PS4 game if i'm lucky! Retro wise i want to thin out the collection a little more. Hopefully at some point we'll get the loft converted and i can think about moving the games room upstairs and arranging it a little better.