Worst Sound from a Console or Computer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheDude18

Worst Sound from a Console or Computer?

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 am

I've been using a Commodore C16 emulator a lot of late and there's one thing that's struck me is how poor the sound is, very harsh and abrasive. At the time of owning an actual C16 this seemed to pass me by un-noticed but now with older ears I can safely say it was tooth ache inducing.

So what in your opinion is the worst sound that you have heard from a computer or console? I was tempted to chuck the spectrum in here myself but praise where its due that little blooper sound could work wonders in the right hands and combined with the AY chip, they could be an impressive combo.

But for me I'm going to have to chuck in the NES. Game shack (on YouTube) mention on a regular basis about some great tunes on the NES, but bar SMB 1-3 I dont hear it. Tunes sound flat and dull, sound effects, soulless. I cant put my finger on it as I love the NES, but it sounds so...........rubbish.

I always though the Megadrive was no great shakes compared to the other 16 bit machines either.

Note: Can we leave tech specs comparisons at the door which seem to derail so many interesting threads which slowly turn into playground arguments.

The Laird

Re: Worst Sound from a Console or Computer?

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 am

The Atari 7800, the TIA chip was fine on the 7800 but not in a console competing with the NES, SMS and various other machines. That horrid sound is inexcusable, they really should have made room for a POKEY chip. I mean listen to this horrendous mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-mvsOMeAiI

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:05 am

After using a C64 for most of my childhood, I was shocked at the sound coming from my brand new Master System! It was like a step back in time... so I got shot of it and got an NES... and just like you, I thought the sound was not particularly good and certainly not any better than the Master System. Both had some good games but I just ended up back with my C64 until the Amiga became my gaming system of choice.

My mate had an Atari ST and although in the early days the sound/music from games was as good or better than the Amiga counterparts, as time progressed the Amiga just seemed to push the ST out the door.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:05 am

Dubstep, urgh one of the reasons why im glad a lot of modern games have a mute music option

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 am

Highlander on the CPC. The sound on that game actually gave me migraines

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

Worste sound from any computer ever is the noise the Spectrum, c64, amstrad or any tape based machine made when it chewed up your tape.

You would just know what had happened and would sit there for a couple of minutes too scared to look hoping beyond hope that when you looked everything would be ok.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:01 am

The grinding, screeching, whirring and buzzing from my first Dreamcast as it came towards the end of its life - speaking of the DC, the screech made when you turn it on with a VMU with a dead battery.

The track "Rotterdam Nation" from Ridge Racer - my races were far more error-strewn while that was playing.

Any speech samples in a Game Boy Color game when played on a Game Boy Advance get drowned out by a piercing monotone beep.

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:31 am

I'll go with the Genesis as a whole.

Well, Megadrive to most of you. I know it as the Genesis though.

That thing.... ugh. It just never sounded right to me. I always had the impression that the thing could do with a few cough drops.

There's also the sound that the 2600 would put out every now and then when a game wasnt loading right, which tended to either be SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEK or BLOOOOOOOOOOONK.

And finally... the hideous electronic shrieking of a dial-up connection. Cant forget that one.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:13 am

markopoloman wrote:After using a C64 for most of my childhood, I was shocked at the sound coming from my brand new Master System! It was like a step back in time... so I got shot of it and got an NES... and just like you, I thought the sound was not particularly good and certainly not any better than the Master System. Both had some good games but I just ended up back with my C64 until the Amiga became my gaming system of choice.

My mate had an Atari ST and although in the early days the sound/music from games was as good or better than the Amiga counterparts, as time progressed the Amiga just seemed to push the ST out the door.

+1 The C64 spoilt me and the Amiga was the only acceptable upgrade.

I can't stand the AY sound in the Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari ST etc... To me it is like nails scraping down a black board.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 am

I agree, though the Spectrum and Amstrad were 8bit machines, so they had half an excuse! The Atari ST beggars belief some of the awful music that usually pumps out of it! When the devs make use of what else it can do i.e Bitmap Bros then the music can sound ok, but 95% of games don't and sound like the music is coming from an Atari 5200 behind it!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:26 am

General Opulence wrote:I agree, though the Spectrum and Amstrad were 8bit machines, so they had half an excuse! The Atari ST beggars belief some of the awful music that usually pumps out of it! When the devs make use of what else it can do i.e Bitmap Bros then the music can sound ok, but 95% of games don't and sound like the music is coming from an Atari 5200 behind it!
Strange comment given that the 5200 has a superior sound chip.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 am

What about the loading noise from a Spectrum? I know the early 8-bit computers had loading noises of some kind, but the speccy's was more like running fingernails down a blackboard. I even looked it up on youtube to see if its as bad as I remember (it is) As MPM has stated I think having a C64 did spoil the eardrums (mind you there are some absolute clunkers on there too)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:57 am

Misery wrote:I'll go with the Genesis as a whole.

Well, Megadrive to most of you. I know it as the Genesis though.

That thing.... ugh. It just never sounded right to me. I always had the impression that the thing could do with a few cough drops.
Flicky on the Megadrive. Arrgh my ears! The goggles do nothing! etc.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 am

Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island... nuff said! :P
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 am

The screeching at the start of loading any Novaload game on the C64 ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...