Worst consoles/computers of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

Re: Worst consoles/computers of all time

Post by flatapex » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:47 pm

virtual boy
sega pico
nokia n-gage

also seems that mentioning 'atgames' and 'handheld' in the same sentance is a byword for tat

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:12 pm

flatapex wrote: nokia n-gage
Again more hate for it,

Ive been using one as my main phone for the past few weeks, true a lot of the games wernt suited for the screen but it has a port of DOOM thats BETTER THAN THE SATURN VERSION!!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm easy to please : I'd own just about any gaming system and fall in love with something about it, but some of those handhelds in the 80's that tried to rival Nintendo's game/watch... now they would make me cry - both as a crestfallen teenager and trying to play them as an adult 30 years later, doesn't matter. Their utter awfulness will ensure tears will flow.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:24 pm

ncf1 wrote:I'm easy to please : I'd own just about any gaming system and fall in love with something about it, but some of those handhelds in the 80's that tried to rival Nintendo's game/watch... now they would make me cry - both as a crestfallen teenager and trying to play them as an adult 30 years later, doesn't matter. Their utter awfulness will ensure tears will flow.
One word that will be very familiar to anyone who watches Ashens - POPSTATION! :twisted:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 pm

The Laird wrote:
ncf1 wrote:I'm easy to please : I'd own just about any gaming system and fall in love with something about it, but some of those handhelds in the 80's that tried to rival Nintendo's game/watch... now they would make me cry - both as a crestfallen teenager and trying to play them as an adult 30 years later, doesn't matter. Their utter awfulness will ensure tears will flow.
One word that will be very familiar to anyone who watches Ashens - POPSTATION! :twisted:
I actually sent him those barbie and transformers kinder eggs he did a few weeks back. bloody git burnt them at the end. My Little lad loves his blindbag reviews and we wath the show together. He had been wanting to send something in for ages.

He was topdog in the playground for a few days for doing that.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 pm

The game.com

On paper it's a good idea, doesn't look awful and is fine to hold. Problem is the screen, which is so dark and blurry you cannot play anything beyond the most basic puzzle games. So that alone makes it completely useless as a device and worthy of inclusion

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Ill go with the Gamate. Just awful.
Going Solo...................

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Not quite sure about the title of this thread, it reads as "worst consoles/computers of all time" yet most people seem to be commenting not on the machines capabilities but on popularity.
Possibly better renaming it-"worst selling/least popular consoles/computers of all time".

Eg- the Elan Enterprise was ten times the machine the ZX spectrum was, machines like the Tatung Einstein, Sord M5 and Memotech MTX range were all good machines (just not popular).

If however you want a machine that fits comfortably into both categories-look no further than the MATTEL AQUARIUS, a truly awful machine that was born dead and received no support.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 pm

3DS - gives me headaches after about 2 minutes of playing it in 3d mode.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 pm

aztecca wrote:When i read the title Atari xegs,Atari jag,Amstrad gx4000,c64gs,Jag cd,Atari lynx all sprang to my mind.
pretty much my thoughts but I would also add the 3do.

even though the likes of the 3do, lynx, xegs are really poor machines, it's impossible to look past the truly woeful atari jaguar, a shambolic mess of a machine from top to bottom, dire games and the worst controller of all time, it's an epic fail in every sense.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Has the Apple Pippin been mentioned yet?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Nemesis wrote:Has the Apple Pippin been mentioned yet?
Yep.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 pm

DPrinny wrote:
flatapex wrote: nokia n-gage
Again more hate for it,

Ive been using one as my main phone for the past few weeks, true a lot of the games wernt suited for the screen but it has a port of DOOM thats BETTER THAN THE SATURN VERSION!!
i'm aiming the hate at symbian (i worked in the mobile industry for 6 years), symbian nearly killed nokia :shock:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:01 am

Is this computers/consoles that didn't sell very well or just consoles you personally hate? As both the plus 4 and the MSX sold very well as they where heavily discounted plus 4 is my favourite computer along with the Snes/Super Famicom

Gizmondo which only had 3 games Trailblazer, Colours(a gta rip off) and had a shop in London selling only this is the Gizmondo?
Ouya Game where selling them for about £20 can't even give them away I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole"
Neo Geo X CEX is selling them for £150 expensive for what it is

My personnel worst computer was the original X Box I sold mine a week later for £10.. Most of its catologue was also available on the Cube/PS2 and it only had 3 exclusives I wanted.. The emulation was complete cack really laggy and full of slowdown, it couldn't even emulate PC Engine games such as Magical Chase and Legendary Axe 2 where a travesty.. My original Double Switch Mega cd constantly crashed or ran so slowly it was unplayable.. So you get 1000's of badly emulated games which you would never have the time to play.. Even the small pad was to big for my hands and the time keeper battery leaks basically bricking the console.. The 360 being backwards compatible took away any reason to own it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:10 am

Coleco Adam. Truly a dire machine.