Piracy. Is it good for the industry?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is piracy good for the Industry?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:26 pm

1. YES
22%
2.NO
78%

Total votes: 37

ncf1

Re: Piracy. Is it good for the industry?

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 pm

A friend of mine once said to me "mate, I waited 30 minutes to pay the bill - they obviously didn't want my money, so I left! Do they think I have better things to do than sit around and wait around all day??", after he ate out at an expensive restaurant.

What he was doing was imposing his own ideas because of his greed; he believed the rubbish that he spouted simply to justify what he did. The fact is though, he ate something that someone made and he should have paid for it, there is no excuse.

If a game has a set price and you cant afford it, you don't steal it. If you do, then don't justify it will all kinds of rubbish, just unbelievable nonsense people will come up with to try and make it right that they pirated a game. There never is an excuse, you stole it, its as simple as that.

The old roms/preservation thing, I would say yes there is something to that because if they aren't actively for sale somewhere, they are creative works, and all games are creative expressions, so its good to preserve them.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:49 pm

From a developer standpoint, there are small benefits (people playing/sharing etc), but the benefits are hugely outweighed by the negatives.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 pm

I feel like I talk about this all the time, but really its because I was in a meeting today about a very similar issue.

Piracy, freemium and the race to the bottom have created a difficult market for small, indie and big developers; people expect games on the mobile stores to be free, or have free version. To try and get some money for the games, developers have to ask for less, as little as 69p - which they will get around 47p of. Unless you get lucky, this is no way to make any good money. So charge more, you could say; but then less people will pay. It is one hell of a battle I'm facing with my own video game that I have yet to set a price point on.

This I think is more down to free, than piracy. But on Android, piracy and free to some are synonymous. Not for everyone, but it is so easy.

I don't know, people playing your game is awesome, it just is, even if they stole it. Though, they've stolen 1/2/3 years of your life, your baby, you need their purchase to keep a roof over your head, feed your children and somehow fund game 2. I don't think some people who get these 'free' games realises the cost of their actions.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm

ncf1 wrote:If a game has a set price and you cant afford it, you don't steal it. If you do, then don't justify it will all kinds of rubbish, just unbelievable nonsense people will come up with to try and make it right that they pirated a game. There never is an excuse, you stole it, its as simple as that.
Is it ok if I just say I stole it because I didn't have the money to buy it? I'm not trying to justify it, or say its right or acceptable, just stating a fact - I stole something because I couldn't buy it.

It wasn't a physical thing I stole though. Not like a car. Or a bike. Or a handbag. The person who wants to buy it can still buy it. Its not a lost sale like a car theft. Or a bike theft. Or a handbag theft.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:15 pm

No Assassins creed 3 was s**t
Last edited by DPrinny on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It wasn't a physical thing I stole though. Not like a car. Or a bike. Or a handbag. The person who wants to buy it can still buy it. Its not a lost sale like a car theft. Or a bike theft. Or a handbag theft.
Sorry, couldn't read that without picturing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXO98IcXRw
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure fads like Wii/Wii Sports, Kinect/Kinect Sports, Rock Band/Guitar Hero didn't come to an abrupt halt due to piracy, people simply got bored of the same thing over again. You can only rehash something so much before interest declines. I'm surprised the CoD/modern military shooter fad hasn't yet died down, but I guess there's just about enough of new added to impress the masses. And who's to say the same can't happen to other, yearly franchises? Publishers these days all seem to take the "ride the fad as much as you can before it dies down" approach to things. But this is a short-sighted approach, imo. Also, I would say mobile gaming is a fad too. Like an above poster suggested, people are in it only for the novelity/time killing factor. It's only a matter of time before more developers find out there's not really a serious market there.

For all the flak PC gaming gets for piracy, it's quite amusing hearing how some former critics of the platform and it's "excess" piracy tend to come back to it after realizing their mistake of selling-out to console masses. :wink:

Epic's Mark Rein, Cliffy B, id's Carmack, the CryTek guys and many others already realized that console gaming was not "all cracked up to be".

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 pm

The trouble with the piracy debate is everyone thinks its new or different, how many spectrum or c64 owners obtained games through their friends using c90s?

My experience of pirate games came in the 90s, my uncle (he isnt my uncle any more as my auntie divorced him years ago, thank god) was able to make pirate copies of pc games. they werent great copies, the best of which was toca (the first one) which had a nasty habit of randomly crashing, it really was a lottery of if or when it would crash. after that i really couldnt be bothered as i ended up playing the few decent games i had that were genuine, and worked.

i bought a ps2 about 13 years ago, loads of people got them chipped, i didnt know anyone who sold the games and plus it had just cost me £300 and chipping was still risky, again I couldnt be bothered with the risk and bought good condition second hand games instead.

I do however collect game boy pirate carts, the weird multicarts that everyone seemed to be able to buy abroad, usually a couple of pounds each and good for a laugh at how bad they are.

I think the one thing the industry needs is a kick up the backside, there have been so many terrible games its astonishing people spend money on them. thats one reason i went retro, history speaks for itself and if something is terrible history will not be kind

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:It wasn't a physical thing I stole though. Not like a car. Or a bike. Or a handbag. The person who wants to buy it can still buy it. Its not a lost sale like a car theft. Or a bike theft. Or a handbag theft.
Sorry, couldn't read that without picturing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXO98IcXRw
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
For all the flak PC gaming gets for piracy, it's quite amusing hearing how some former critics of the platform and it's "excess" piracy tend to come back to it after realizing their mistake of selling-out to console masses. :wink:

Epic's Mark Rein, Cliffy B, id's Carmack, the CryTek guys and many others already realized that console gaming was not "all cracked up to be".
This is not a debate about PC vs Console and I would not like it turned into one. If you have valid points about software piracy harming (or not) the industry then fine. PLEASE KEEP IT ON TOPIC AND STOP TRYING TO DERAIL FOR THE THIRD TIME OF ASKING
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Piracy is bad. Yes. Is it good for the industry? It can be.

Back in my Yohoho and a bottle of rum days I would still buy a shed load of games - sometimes my whole paper round weekly wages :lol: on games that I really liked. Try before you buy the old fashioned way I suppose.
But now, I don't think about downloading pirated games. Something changed to stop me at some point in the early 2000's - and that was me having more cash. Then as Steam took off and their mad sales hit, I'd be lapping up the games. So now I simply do not pirate games as they are affordable by price and me being more fush with dosh.

I still think a certain amount of piracy helps though.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Does it help? Probably. Anything that helps create a demand for a product surely cant be a hindrance - I would compare with the way that high end car manufacturers create their brand desirability through low priced (often unofficial) merchandise - hats, key-rings, T-shirts, posters, sexy reviews on Top-Gear. Not every owner of a Ferrari baseball cap will be owning the car any time soon, but it does no harm to the overall demand, desirability of the product. And the simple fact remains - those that pirate games just aren't ever going to pay full-price. Ever. No sales lost.

As a side note, I don't think piracy really killed the Amiga, most owners left the system for the 486/Pentium and 3D gaming that the Amiga was not capable of producing. After all, wasn't the PC just as prone to piracy? Didn't stop the developers from jumping ship at the time.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:11 pm

clarance wrote:Does it help? Probably. Anything that helps create a demand for a product surely cant be a hindrance - I would compare with the way that high end car manufacturers create their brand desirability through low priced (often unofficial) merchandise - hats, key-rings, T-shirts, posters, sexy reviews on Top-Gear. Not every owner of a Ferrari baseball cap will be owning the car any time soon, but it does no harm to the overall demand, desirability of the product. And the simple fact remains - those that pirate games just aren't ever going to pay full-price. Ever. No sales lost.

As a side note, I don't think piracy really killed the Amiga, most owners left the system for the 486/Pentium and 3D gaming that the Amiga was not capable of producing. After all, wasn't the PC just as prone to piracy? Didn't stop the developers from jumping ship at the time.
Are you freaking kidding me.

How does pirate versions of the full game = keyrings and tshirts of a car.

Of course it affects things, they desire a copy of the game, voila they pirate the game, the desire has been fulfilled.

And your statement that people who pirate games would never buy any games is completely untrue, sure they would not buy as many, but if piracy did not exist do you truly believe those people would never ever want to play a game ever again.

People want to play the games, if they are wiilling to fork out for the hardware, then they already have a vested interest, do you think they would then not buy games.

Look at the PS1, Dreamcast, etc. heavily pirated, but piracy usually comes after the machine has been out a while. Many gamers buy the console and buy games. They turn to piracy once its available. they have already proven that they will buy new games if piracy did not exist.

Look at the DS, people were buying it and they were buying games. once the R4 card came out people sold off thier games and stopped buying new ones. How on erath can people possibly say that pirating does not stop people buying games.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't think its good for the industry, but I don't think it makes a massive difference, if there was no piracy would the overall gaming industry be that much different? awash with billions more cash? I don't think so.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:15 pm

I am staggered, to even argue that piracy does not harm the industry is a tenuous one at best. To even imply it is actually good for the industry is insane.

If its so good then why don't we all just pirate, imagine if we all pirated, just think about how healthy and amazing the industry would be.