Who is excited about Street Fighter V?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Who is excited about Street Fighter V?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:06 am

Any fighting fans here? I'm looking for a few quotes for a potential news story about the new game. Personally, it looks a bit too much like IV to me :(

Misery

Re: Who is excited about Street Fighter V?

Post by Misery » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 am

Yeah, that's how it seems to me too. Sort of a rather minor (to me at least) graphical difference, but other than that... same old thing.

I'm not super into Capcom's fighters (prefer Arc's), but SF4 is fine as it is. I kinda think they need alot more than what's been shown so far to really justify a full-fledged sequel.

What I'd really like to see from them is something NEW. A totally new fighting game. Something different for once.

....or DarkStalkers. I miss that one.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 am

I was, then I saw it, and now I'm not.

It looks too similar to SFIV at the moment, at least SF2, SF3 and SFIV are all distinctive, and I think the art style of IV in particular is great, and what I've seen of this new one so far, it looks like a slightly worse looking version of IV. Still, I guess there must be a long way to go until its anywhere near finished enough to make a fair assessment.

The current trend suggests only the even-numbered games are worth playing anyway!
Last edited by Dam on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 am

I'm quite excited but it's early doors at the moment. Provsionally, it looks & moves much like SFIV but it's too early to judge. Given the amount of scrutiny applied to what we've seen thus far, it appears to be more combo friendly.

However, movement still appears to be a bit stilted & in no way measures up to the sublime animation found within SF3 Third Strike. Plus, I dislike the cutscenes shown before an Ultra attack as found in SFIV. I know that it would take Capcom much effort but I prefer the tradtional 2D artwork to the 3D modelling we have now.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 am

I don't think anything will have the impact that IV did, bringing back the fighting game scene. I loved it, and can only hope that V delivers.

Does look a lot like IV though. Would have liked a change of direction but as long as it plays well I'll be happy

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Not at all. I haven't played since Street Fighter 2 on my mates snes and he was very into it, it's always seemed like a hardcore series and not really for the casual player.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Not sweating to get my hands on it at all. If something else comes out at the same time as SFV then that will be picked instead.

Let's be fair it will play well and be a good game. It also has been mention by many that it's not going to cause the stir IV did. That don't make it bad, you just cannot go nuts over something just been done before.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:55 pm

I really could not care less about it. Not my thing at all
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Surely it can't be 2018 for the release date. Mankind could have fallen by that point!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:31 pm

I probably will.......once more details and characters have been revealed. As of now, we're got very little to go on.

I think the character selection will be most interesting though. From the looks of things, its set either before or after SFIII which had barely any of the SFII cast and part of the appeal of IV was everyone from II and others from Alpha and so on made the cut so it had that nostalgia factor and seeing your favorite characters in PS360 visuals as well as those awesome anime cut scenes. So now you have to please those fans who want to see their favorites older and probably more badass (Like Sakura all grown up, etc.), the Street Fighter III crowd who expect some of those characters if not all to have their humble beginnings or extended storylines played out depending on the setting, characters introduced in IV (I suspect Juri will be back), brand new characters to shake things up, and maybe the real obscure choices that fans really want like Rainbow Mika or god forbid the Ninja from SFI. XD

Mind you, the Super updates and onwards will probably add all that in, but as of now Street Fighter V has to have a mix of all that....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Nah, it peaked at Street Fighter II Turbo.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Always liked the 2d ones.no too excited about v.I Will probably pirate the pc version when it comes out and if i like it buy the xbox version.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Given the expected release date, I don't think there's much to get excited about yet - it's just too early and personally, I don't think it should have been shown so far ahead of Capcom's expected release window. Having said that, i'm pretty sure they showed off what they have so far because somebody leaked it first. I know that Ono was apparently pretty annoyed about that.

I also don't think that we should read too much into what we've seen so far and already start criticising what is obviously a really early build. I'll wait until all of the game system and character roster is revealed before making a judgement. As to whether I'd buy it? Of course I would. It's Street Fighter after all and resembling SFIV is no bad thing.

The fighting game I'm most excited about is Tekken X Street Fighter, especially since Katsuhiro Harada recently stated that the game isn't dead and that the basic gameplay systems have all been nailed down. I'd buy a PS4 for that game :)
Nemesis wrote:I know that it would take Capcom much effort but I prefer the tradtional 2D artwork to the 3D modelling we have now.
Same here. The 2.5d stuff is okay but doesn't excite me.
Last edited by Megamixer on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:54 pm

i'm not the biggest street fighter fan, I liked some of the 90's versions and really loved ex plus alpha (wish they'd reboot that series so I can play as skullomania again). not sure about whether i'd get 5, I might pass on it since I wasn't too into 4... :?
Megamixer wrote:
The fighting game I'm most excited about is Tekken X Street Fighter, especially since Katsuhiro Harada recently stated that the game isn't dead and that the basic gameplay systems have all been nailed down. I'd buy a PS4 for that game :)
holy crap! thats amazing news! I had all but given up hope that it was ever going to happen. :D I love the tekken games so i'm more into this, have the street fighter x tekken version but I prefer tekken fighting engine and style.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:58 pm

Analog wrote:holy crap! thats amazing news! I had all but given up hope that it was ever going to happen. :D I love the tekken games so i'm more into this, have the street fighter x tekken version but I prefer tekken fighting engine and style.
Only problem is that Namco apparently want to get Tekken 7 and any arcade updates out first so as not to clash with TxSF. I've always been a big Tekken fan and so I can't wait to see what Capcom's characters will look like and how they will play in the Tekken style.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.