been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
flying_delorean81
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: Hill Valley

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:10 pm

I'd like a compilation of classic scrolling fighters which weren't ported to home consoles, like Alien Vs Predator, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, The Punisher... I'm sure there are loads more. Not sure, but I think a lot might have been made by Capcom.

I'd pay for that. I enjoy playing them in MAME on my modified XBox, but an official, optimised compilation, maybe with some little extras would be awesome
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 pm

The Beans wrote:
Negative Creep wrote: If I owned a PS4 I would buy a remastered FF7 without hesitation, but the PC port would have to be very cheap to tempt me back
Which is where a collection would come in for me. If they're just doing ports then a compilation would make more sense. Maybe not as pricey to produce as full makeovers but enough on there to justify a beefier asking price. Sort of thing.
Can you imagine how well a compilation of say, the first 7 games would do.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15035
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:39 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Negative Creep wrote: If I owned a PS4 I would buy a remastered FF7 without hesitation, but the PC port would have to be very cheap to tempt me back
Which is where a collection would come in for me. If they're just doing ports then a compilation would make more sense. Maybe not as pricey to produce as full makeovers but enough on there to justify a beefier asking price. Sort of thing.
Can you imagine how well a compilation of say, the first 7 games would do.
I would hand over my money day one for a compilation of the FFVII - IX PS1 trilogy. I have the originals of course but I wouldn't mind the option (and convenience) of playing them again on a newer system without all the disk-swapping. I know the games have been re-released digitally already on PSN but I'm not that desperate unless a nice physical compilation were available.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Combo-Breaker
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 am

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:00 pm

rossi46 wrote:Saturn Sega Rally, Virtual On, Daytona, Nights, the Panzers and Virtua Fighter all on one compilation CD would be ace for the current gen, IMO.

I'm aware this won't happen but it's a nice dream.
It's more than a nice dream, it's a bloody very nice dream! :wink:

I also playing this compilation. Love it!

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:45 am

Looks like we finally have a company willing to put out another decent compilation.

Hopefully if the Rare one does well then we may get some more.

and also relevant to this thread, finally FF fans have got the remake they wanted.

kiwimike
Posts: 3696
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Looks like we finally have a company willing to put out another decent compilation.

Hopefully if the Rare one does well then we may get some more.

and also relevant to this thread, finally FF fans have got the remake they wanted.
Yes please, keep em coming. As mentioned earlier- If done well, if offering great value...it's a win/win for the fans and the companies :)

This one looks superb. Would love it on the 360 too, but I understand their desire to entice people to upgrade.
And I'll tell you what, MS may well be swaying me from PS4 with their E3 this year :)

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5859
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:47 am

The PS2/Xbox era was a golden age for this type of compilation.

Midway Arcade Treasures 1,2&3
Capcom Classics 1&2
Taito Classics 1&2
Activision Anthology
Namco Collection
Sega Arcade Classics
The MegaDrive one
The SNK one
Intellivision Lives

And probably a few more.

Like others have said licencing and the fact they can make more from individual downloads have probably put an end to these monster compilations...unless the Rare one leads to a welcome renaissance.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:48 am

kiwimike wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Looks like we finally have a company willing to put out another decent compilation.

Hopefully if the Rare one does well then we may get some more.

and also relevant to this thread, finally FF fans have got the remake they wanted.
Yes please, keep em coming. As mentioned earlier- If done well, if offering great value...it's a win/win for the fans and the companies :)

This one looks superb. Would love it on the 360 too, but I understand their desire to entice people to upgrade.
And I'll tell you what, MS may well be swaying me from PS4 with their E3 this year :)

I'll be picking it up as well, although for me Rare will always be associated with DKC and Goldeneye which for obvious reasons could never be included. Hopefully like the Mega Drive collection they include save states for everything
Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:59 am

I have to say, I would kill people to get a Sega Arcade Collection . . . . .

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:36 am

The Laird wrote:I have to say, I would kill people to get a Sega Arcade Collection . . . . .

I still want a Sega Arcade racing collection.

perfect arcade ports of Daytona, Sega rally, Touring cars, Scud race, Rad mobile, harley davidson LA riders, powerdrift, Outrunners etc

A load of great Sega racers have never had decent home ports and I would live a racing collection.

ALK
Posts: 3081
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by ALK » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:21 am

Even though there's been a ton of "Remasters" on XBONE/PS4, maybe they could do one for the Mega Drive Collection? They could easily add a dozen or so extra games to the existing line up to tempt people to buy it again, but yeah.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:39 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
The Laird wrote:I have to say, I would kill people to get a Sega Arcade Collection . . . . .

I still want a Sega Arcade racing collection.

perfect arcade ports of Daytona, Sega rally, Touring cars, Scud race, Rad mobile, harley davidson LA riders, powerdrift, Outrunners etc

A load of great Sega racers have never had decent home ports and I would live a racing collection.

This is probably how I would do it too, do a few themed packs.

Could do racers as you say (which would be sweet) and do a Shooters Collection (Line Of Fire, Thunder Blade, After Burner, G-Loc, Sonic Boom, Galaxy Force II, Space Harrier etc.). A Fighting Collection (Altered Beast, Streets Of Rage, Die Hard Arcade, Dynamite Deka, Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Golden Axe etc.). A Platformers Collection (Sonic, Wonderboy, Alex Kidd, Flicky, Teddy Boy, Congo Bongo, Bonanza Bros. etc.) and many more.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15035
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:18 pm

I'd definitely buy an Outrun compilation just to have an arcade-perfect version of Turbo Outrun. Certainly wouldn't mind checking out the other various sequels too since I've only played the original + the excellent 2006: Coast 2 Coast.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
The Hardest of All Freds
Posts: 1746
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 am

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 pm

The MD Collections are ace, as are the Capcom/SNk ones

The Dreamcast one though, was awful. Are they REALLY the 5 best games they could muster??
Going Solo...................

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:The MD Collections are ace, as are the Capcom/SNk ones

The Dreamcast one though, was awful. Are they REALLY the 5 best games they could muster??
Nope, worse - the best FOUR games :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests