been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Having a lot of fun with it and I am a sucker for compilations like this. I know its been mentioned before but why do more companies not do this more often.

Some do and they are a bit poor and only a handful og games, Sega really went to town on this one and I wish more companies followed suit.

Capcom did the classics collection on PS2, Xbox etc so it would be nice to get a new one, but instead of the arcade games how about some classic console titles. UN squadron Snes version, all 3 final fight games etc.

or Konami, with sunset riders, and the twinbee games.

rossi46

Re: been playing the megadrive collection on 360

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Saturn Sega Rally, Virtual On, Daytona, Nights, the Panzers and Virtua Fighter all on one compilation CD would be ace for the current gen, IMO.

I'm aware this won't happen but it's a nice dream.
Thoughts and prayers.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 pm

I love these retro compilations. I would love to see a Saturn Panzer Dragoon one or a Sega Ages compilation. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I love them too, but prefer them in handhelds. They are great for late night gaming on my hols when the rest of the family are asleep. Snuggle down and have a blast on Streets of Rage under the covers!

The Megadrive collection for PSP is great too, although not as good as the ultimate collection.

The only compilation I would prefer on the big screen is the Gradius collection, my ageing eyeballs Just cant take the strain :lol:

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:25 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Having a lot of fun with it and I am a sucker for compilations like this. I know its been mentioned before but why do more companies not do this more often.

Some do and they are a bit poor and only a handful og games, Sega really went to town on this one and I wish more companies followed suit.

Capcom did the classics collection on PS2, Xbox etc so it would be nice to get a new one, but instead of the arcade games how about some classic console titles. UN squadron Snes version, all 3 final fight games etc.

or Konami, with sunset riders, and the twinbee games.
Yep, love retro collections, if they're done right. This one in particular shows how it should be done. Love the Megadrive collection.
Thought some of the Namco Museums were a bit of a ripoff but some of the later ones gave a lot better value.
It makes sense for companies to produce them- it allows them to make money off older titles while catering to retro fans.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 am

Remember EA replay?
what a wasted opportunity

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 am

DPrinny wrote:Remember EA replay?
They somehow managed to make Wing Comander run slower than it would have done on a 386 PC.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:38 am

Treguard wrote:
They somehow managed to make Wing Comander run slower than it would have done on a 386 PC.
SNES version might be something to do with it

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:40 am

I will never understand why they haven't done more compilations like this one, it really is superb.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am

Never played it but heard nothing but disappointment about it. Is it true that all the road rash games were likely the Amiga versions and they all had the same music?

If so that's lazy even for EA

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Replay
Mega Drive versions
The Laird wrote:I will never understand why they haven't done more compilations like this one, it really is superb.
because DLC,
Also its probably a licensing thing with the other games

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:52 am

Look in an issue of rg about 12 months ago, I wrote about this exact subject. It is in theory a license issue but all the more reason to put roms on my modded psp

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 am

The Laird wrote:I will never understand why they haven't done more compilations like this one, it really is superb.

You'd think a Castlevania, Final Fantasy or Street Fighter one would be easy to make and a licence to print money, especially considering their respective publisher's woes. That said, Capcom would prboably have SF2 and then SF2 Turbo as locked on disc DLC

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:45 pm

I think with FF Square Enix are perfectly happy to fart out "updated" ones for mobile platforms

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:42 pm

They won't do these anymore because taking into account how many games are rammed on the one disc, even knocking them out at £2-£3 apiece on a digital store will yield a lot more moolah. A cynical viewpoint I know but I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong...

I haven't played the Mega Drive Collection on PS3/360 but I have the previous set on both the PS2 and PSP and it was a fantastic thing indeed. Taito Legends 2 and the first Midway Arcade Treasures were also stupidly good value for money, especially today when they sell for a couple of quid each.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology also deserves a big shout.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.