My Retro gaming new year resolution has begun.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

My Retro gaming new year resolution has begun.

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I am starting from 8bit onwards beginning with the NES and Master System.

I am going to clean up and test every game cart I have. I am going to sit and actually give each game a good go and decide whether to keep or sell. I have decided to get ruthless and have a mass clearout.

There are just hundreds of games I don't need, so I am going to sell whatever does not make the cut and just keep a collection of stuff rhat I really want or means something to me.

With the money I make I am going to add some titles I have been wanting for ages, as well as use the money to upgrade cart only games to boxed versions where I can, and pick up manuals for games that don't have them.

TBH Its about time, I have been trying out the likes of Stealth aTF, Bugs bunny birthday blowout etc and I have realised I just do not need them. also have loose carts of games like Wild gunman etc, and somehow a Spanish language PAL B copy of the lion king ( or EL REY LEON as the label says ) plus around 11 nes controllers.

getting rid of spare loose consoles ( jsut keeping my lovely mint in box NES action set ) etc.

Best thing is I am having a lot of fun doing so as I am testing and playing every game first to really give it a chance, Using the RETRON 5 to do it and means I can do the NES, MS, NES, and MD one after the other.

Already used the money to upgrade Double dragon, and Double dragon II to nice complete boxed copies.

anyone else making a big decision regarding games this year, I did a simialr thing last year but it was a bit half arsed as all I really did was sell of all my duplicates. This time however I intend to really go for it.

dste

Re: My Retro gaming new year resolution has begun.

Post by dste » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Not this year (though I may trim down the collection a little, just a little this year) but a few years ago I went through a load of games by playing them for fifteen minutes and seeing if I wanted to keep them or not.

Seems a bit harsh to just play for fifteen minutes but it really helped in my opinion as the games fell into three categories, games that I couldn't be doing with playing on even after such short a time (they got sold or traded), games I decided to give a second chance and games that I really wanted to carry on playing. Helped me clear a fair bit of stuff.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:23 pm

dste wrote:Not this year (though I may trim down the collection a little, just a little this year) but a few years ago I went through a load of games by playing them for fifteen minutes and seeing if I wanted to keep them or not.

Seems a bit harsh to just play for fifteen minutes but it really helped in my opinion as the games fell into three categories, games that I couldn't be doing with playing on even after such short a time (they got sold or traded), games I decided to give a second chance and games that I really wanted to carry on playing. Helped me clear a fair bit of stuff.

I actually think it works great. A few games I have tried I have been playing for a while. actually sat and completed Double dragon 1 and 2 for NES and Double dragon for MS. So into the collection they go.

Shinobi for master system I ended up playing for quite a bit. It was boxed and missing a manual. So With money made I ordered a spare manual and now have a nice complete copy of Shinobi.

I originally started this a couple of months back to create a little bit of spare cash, but actually ended up with a spare few hundred pound. So tidied up and upgraded a few games.

It was then That I actually started thinking that maybe this is something to continue doing, especially as I had so much fun playing the games. So A new years resolution was born.

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:00 pm

I did this a few years ago and regretted it ever since.
The reason your doing it sounds like a really good one, just think long and hard before selling/trading it or you will end up paying out more getting it back.
Be sure to post your new gaming items on the forum it would be nice to see what you get with the cash :)
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:12 pm

the1980gamer wrote:I did this a few years ago and regretted it ever since.
The reason your doing it sounds like a really good one, just think long and hard before selling/trading it or you will end up paying out more getting it back.
Be sure to post your new gaming items on the forum it would be nice to see what you get with the cash :)

Still going to have a decent collection. I have 2000+ games. definitley not getting rid of anything I want to keep.

I would probably regret it if I was selling games I wanted just for the money, but Its more a case of clearing out the unwanted stuff and using that money to improve the overall quality.

So far I have gotten shot of 2 loose NES consoles and around 15 loose carts. I have kept my complete in box action set which is in lovely condition.

I have another 20 or so loose carts ready to go, games such as Stealth ATF, Airwolf, Topgun, Festers Quest, Total recall that Are just not games I will actually sit down and play.

keeping the likes of Bionic commando, Chip and Dale, and Ducktales etc.

luckily many of the good games I already have boxed so its not going to be too hard to get most of them boxed.

Its the megadrive, and Snes stuff that really needs sorting out though.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am

Good idea.

I'm already running out of storage space and I've not even got that many games! Consoles and Collector's Editions take up too much space.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 am

One thing I will say, Its a lot easier to get rid of a load of old games when you know the money is going to go towards some games that you really want.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:44 am

Dont forget to post your sales on here for us all ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:09 am

If you have loads to sell it might be easier/quicker to have a stall at say the Blackpool retro show and sell tons there ? (Depending on how many you have)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:33 am

psj3809 wrote:If you have loads to sell it might be easier/quicker to have a stall at say the Blackpool retro show and sell tons there ? (Depending on how many you have)
I reckon I could be reducing my collection by about 500-750 games to be honest.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:37 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
psj3809 wrote:If you have loads to sell it might be easier/quicker to have a stall at say the Blackpool retro show and sell tons there ? (Depending on how many you have)
Damn thats quite a few ! Yeah you should talk to Gordon about possibly having a small stall at a show or something ? (if you're close to those areas). Far less hassle then tons of ebay sending and stuff

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:03 am

psj3809 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Damn thats quite a few ! Yeah you should talk to Gordon about possibly having a small stall at a show or something ? (if you're close to those areas). Far less hassle then tons of ebay sending and stuff

All thee way up in the Northeast and work full time so it may be a bit awkward.

Still I am enjoying doing it the slow way and testing and playing each game. giving each one a clean and making sure whoever buys it is getting a fully tested and working game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 am

How about NERG ?

www.northeastretrogaming.com/

NERG 2015 June 20th & 21st

Gateshead ?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:10 am

psj3809 wrote:How about NERG ?
http://www.northeastretrogaming.com/

NERG 2015 June 20th & 21st

Gateshead ?

Thats actually not far at all, its definitely something to think about.

First NES casualties

Boxed US NTSC games. Mint in box all complete, some still have the shrink wrap and have only been open at the top to get the games out.

Total Recall
Phantom fighter
Iron tanks
Cybernoid
Lone ranger

will never sit through them, just never got rid of before as they were in such good condition.

Gonna sell them, already got rid of a few loose nes carts and replaced them with nice complete PAL Robocop, and Probotector. 2 games with real memories for me.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:11 pm

First two bought games