Best ever 8 bit (micro) arcade conversion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Best ever 8 bit (micro) arcade conversion

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 pm

more votes for Gryzor and Chase HQ on the CPC. They always get the love and deserve it.

have to also mention operation wolf and Pang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GrkMZBIaek - I always thought this was amazing as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_gikf8oo9I

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:34 am

Bubble Bobble on C64
Zalaga on the BBC
Green Beret on the Speccy

I'll be controversial and say Bomb Jack on the speccy was a brilliant game to play but not a good conversion as it lacked a lot of the logistics from the arcade version. IMO it was written by someone who watched a good player playing the arcade game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:40 am

supermario wrote:Bubble Bobble on C64
Zalaga on the BBC
Green Beret on the Speccy

I'll be controversial and say Bomb Jack on the speccy was a brilliant game to play but not a good conversion as it lacked a lot of the logistics from the arcade version. IMO it was written by someone who watched a good player playing the arcade game.
Never heard that view before, what do you mean ? Always thought it played so well, seemed to be nearly a carbon copy

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:49 am

The following were my favourites on the C64 and all pretty good:

Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Power Drift
Hod Rod
Psycho Pigs UXB
Crack Down
Forgotten Worlds
Solomon's Key
Tapper
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:41 am

The Laird wrote: Space Harrier. In fact I would argue that there isn't a more impressive 8-bit conversion out there than A8 Space Harrier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZpgtIEEnw
That is a very smart conversion actually. Ive never seen that before. As for it being the best... maybe, but for me the Master System has the best 8bit Space Harrier. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usiaujwjv4M
perhaps not visually as nice or as fast as the A8 version but there's 20 years worth of home brew programming techniques in that one. The MS version is official at least. Just gives it the edge. Huge kudos for squeezing that version out of the A8 though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:45 am

STranger81 wrote:Donkey Kong on the CPC. Despite having an Amstrad as a kid and a fondness for arcade conversions I never played this until about 5 years ago and couldn't believe just how good it is.

And Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja on the Amstrad. Obsessed with playing this in my local arcade so when I got it as a suprise from my folks one day I was giddy. Never understood Bruce Lee on the loading screen though!
That bruce lee loading screen was mega though, very detailed indeed.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:46 am

gman72 wrote:
The Laird wrote: Space Harrier. In fact I would argue that there isn't a more impressive 8-bit conversion out there than A8 Space Harrier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZpgtIEEnw
That is a very smart conversion actually. Ive never seen that before. As for it being the best... maybe, but for me the Master System has the best 8bit Space Harrier. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usiaujwjv4M
perhaps not visually as nice or as fast as the A8 version but there's 20 years worth of home brew programming techniques in that one. The MS version is official at least. Just gives it the edge. Huge kudos for squeezing that version out of the A8 though.
The SMS is much more powerful machine, but even still, I think the A8 version is better, it has much better sound and doesn't have the ugly boxes round the sprites or bad flicker that the SMS version has. And besides, this thread is about 8-bit micros :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:58 am

Yeah, i agree about the ugly boxes round the sprites on the MS version, it's probably the nostalgia factor but I still prefer this one. Can't agree on the music however. I love the Master System Space Harrier soundtrack. It had a secret sound select screen that brought up a list of all the tunes in the game - there were around 17 or 18 iirc - great stuff. Yeah, micros only... just noticed that. :oops:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Defo the SMS version. But one could argue for the PCE version if we are talking consoles...

I always refer to the engine as 8 bit when it suits :D

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm sure if Chris Butler had had two years (Chris Hutt took this long to complete the A8 version) to complete Space Harrier on the 64 instead of 6 weeks it would have been a far superior version than what Elite eventually punted out over here. The US version Butler wrote was superior to the UK version as he was given longer to finish the game and optimise the code. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:43 pm

crusto wrote:Defo the SMS version. But one could argue for the PCE version if we are talking consoles...

I always refer to the engine as 8 bit when it suits :D
Yeah I consider PCE 'Deluxe 8 Bit' :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm

gman72 wrote:I'm sure if Chris Butler had had two years (Chris Hutt took this long to complete the A8 version) to complete Space Harrier on the 64 instead of 6 weeks it would have been a far superior version that what Elite eventually punted out over here. The US version Butler wrote was superior to the UK version as he was given longer to finish the game and optimise the code. :D
Actually it took Chris 7 years on and off to code that!

I first played a demo of it back at Jagfest in 2005 and then it was just 1 level IIRC and would only work on a 128k machine. It's quite remarkable what he went through to get that whole game working on a 64k machine with all the music, speech, scaling effects etc. I remember him saying that he found it very hard to find any time to actually work on it, so it's pretty incredible he stuck to it when most people would just give up.

As for the sound, we will have to agree to disagree I suppose. The A8 has a far superior sound chip to the SMS though so it's only natural it should sound better :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:33 pm

The Laird wrote:
gman72 wrote:I'm sure if Chris Butler had had two years (Chris Hutt took this long to complete the A8 version) to complete Space Harrier on the 64 instead of 6 weeks it would have been a far superior version that what Elite eventually punted out over here. The US version Butler wrote was superior to the UK version as he was given longer to finish the game and optimise the code. :D
Actually it took Chris 7 years on and off to code that!

I first played a demo of it back at Jagfest in 2005 and then it was just 1 level IIRC and would only work on a 128k machine. It's quite remarkable what he went through to get that whole game working on a 64k machine with all the music, speech, scaling effects etc. I remember him saying that he found it very hard to find any time to actually work on it, so it's pretty incredible he stuck to it when most people would just give up.

As for the sound, we will have to agree to disagree I suppose. The A8 has a far superior sound chip to the SMS so it's only natural it should sound better :wink:
Yeah the SMS sound chip holds a dear place in my heart - its a nostalgia thing but there you are.
I'm not trying to detract from the quality of the A8 homebrew conversion it's clearly excellent - and the machine itself had titles that were more suited to it than the 64. Games like Dropzone, Star Raiders2, Elektraglide or Encounter where the lower res, more colours and faster CPU worked in the A8s favour. All i'm saying is that with the benefit of 7 years on and off and advanced techniques like Triple Buffering to keep the frame rate up its much more possible to come up with a super conversion. Space Harrier on the A8 was only possible on cartridge also I believe. :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:45 pm

gman72 wrote:All i'm saying is that with the benefit of 7 years on and off and advanced techniques like Triple Buffering to keep the frame rate up its much more possible to come up with a super conversion.
Oh without doubt, no argument from me there!

The A8 was largely unknown to me until a few years ago really, aside from playing that demo at a Jagfest show actually, but it continues to impress me as to what the machine can do. Having spoken to quite a few coders now it's clear that the machine has several advantages over the other 8-bits that can make games like Space Harrier possible. Because the hardware is so cleverly designed a decent coder can perform all sorts of tricks such as interrupts, DLAs, double and triple buffering etc. Chuck Peavey gave some good examples of this when I interviewed him for RG. He told me from day 1 he was very much a C64 man as he liked the hardware sprites and scrolling routines it offered but said that the A8 definitely had the advantage when it came to tricks. For a piece of hardware that was released in 1979 it's bloody amazing how it can do things like Space Harrier really, but I suppose all credit goes to the amazing Jay Miner and his team, after all that same team progressed on to making equally technically impressive machines like the Amiga, Lynx and 3DO.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Nemesis wrote:This one on the spectrum

Gotta agree, the Speccy version of Enduro was the one I first played and looking up comparison vids today I'm surprised it holds it's own compared to other versions. :wink:

Otherwise R-Type for Speccy was quite amazing port, imo. Very colorful and good framerate. And I'd also mention Arkanoid and Tetris for Speccy which hold a special place in my memory and are nice ports in general.