The new Sim City

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fishsta

The new Sim City

Post by Fishsta » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Anyone heard of this new "Origin" thing?

I got an email to say that if I downloaded it, I'd get a free copy of Sim City 2000. Being one of my favourite games ever, I quickly registered and "purchased" it to download the software at home.

A couple of weeks later, I finally get round to it, and promptly lost several hours to it.

Then, up comes a pop-up, huge discount on the new Sim City. Previously, because I disagree with the whole "Internet Connection Essential" thing, I'd said I'd NEVER buy it. But for £13 with all the DLC, I decided to give it a go.

And I've lost several days to it so far. I feel like I've only scratched the surface, too.

It's the first game I've bought in a LONG time, but it is pretty addictive.

HOWEVER... I can't quite put my finger on why, but I still don't think it's QUITE as good as Sim City 2000. Anyone else given it a go?
ImageImage

Misery

Re: The new Sim City

Post by Misery » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 am

Fishsta wrote:Anyone heard of this new "Origin" thing?

I got an email to say that if I downloaded it, I'd get a free copy of Sim City 2000. Being one of my favourite games ever, I quickly registered and "purchased" it to download the software at home.

A couple of weeks later, I finally get round to it, and promptly lost several hours to it.

Then, up comes a pop-up, huge discount on the new Sim City. Previously, because I disagree with the whole "Internet Connection Essential" thing, I'd said I'd NEVER buy it. But for £13 with all the DLC, I decided to give it a go.

And I've lost several days to it so far. I feel like I've only scratched the surface, too.

It's the first game I've bought in a LONG time, but it is pretty addictive.

HOWEVER... I can't quite put my finger on why, but I still don't think it's QUITE as good as Sim City 2000. Anyone else given it a go?

I have it.

Gave it a full go, after having waited so very, very long for a new entry in the series.

....found it to be absolutely terrible. SO bad that the series, and Maxis, are both now entirely dead to me, and the Anno games have now filled the void where SimCity used to be.

The main problem: The REALLY FREAKING TINY city size. There's just not enough room, not even REMOTELY enough room, to do much of everything. Not to mention that content is very, very lacking. And the developers have very firmly said that they will NOT be increasing the size limits of the cities. There's plenty of other issues as well, but those are the biggest ones.

Try out Simcity 4 if you can, the best entry in the series... and then compare it to THAT. You'll see what I mean, likely.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:46 am

Just picked up SimCity for the Super Nintendo :)

Hi by the way :) my 1st post here.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:15 am

DaveDoc1984 wrote:Just picked up SimCity for the Super Nintendo :)

Hi by the way :) my 1st post here.
Welcome to the forum.

And this sim city took so many hours of my life away as a kid, I remember going game shopping with my mum to tell her what games I wanted for Xmas one year, I saw the cover of this game and wanted it, no idea why I wanted it,mug I did, the shop keeper tried to talk my mum out of it, saying I was too young for it and it's more of an adults game, but she got it anyway and I had no idea what I was doing, just placing roads, "red" "yellow" and "blues" everywhere with nothing happening, and it got boring, some stopped playing.... Until one day I saw my older brother playing it, and his world looked so different then mine...... He gave the places power, that's what I didn't know, ever since then I was hooked, all my friends where hooked, and still from time to time play this on my phone, I love it to bits!

I played sim city 2000 a little on the Playstation, but didn't get as into it back then, would love to dig it out now and was so tempted by the new one just released, but after all the bad press it got, turned me off it in a big way, as someone suggested, I may try 4, as I would love to get into one again.

Also, because of sim city, I also got hooked on theme park on the snes, another great game I spent far to many hours to comment, but regret nothing!!!!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:47 am

Used to love SIm City SNES and despite the obvious limitations I would still try and recreate my home town (it doesn't work very well with one police station) and spend many hours trying but never quite succeeding in building a megaopolis. One thing I thought rather weird was that you had to wait for the map selection screen to load each one - I always thought a cart should be instantaneous. Never had a computer powerful enough to run SC2000 or Theme Park when they were new but spent a lot of time on my friend's one. I did get Theme Park for the SNES but even then I could see it wasn't a great conversion, with a lot of stuff missing. Unfortunately Theme Park hasn't aged that well thanks to the awful pathfinding and Rollercoaster Tycoon doing it all a million times better

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:10 am

Sim City 2000 - I'll always remember my nan playing this :lol:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:42 am

Sim City on the SNES was such a simple version of the game, but I think thats what helped it. Everyone I know who played it got addicted to it.

I was around 14 when it came out and how a simple little sim game became so addictive for a bunch of kids into action games is something I never quite understood.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:16 am

I also had the PC Deluxe Version which I "Borrowed" from a friend back in the day. It was on a CD-Rom and contained some hilarious videos from some Cheesy Actors :) I actually found the videos on YouTube the other day!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoCNNlEOGM

:)
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:43 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Sim City on the SNES was such a simple version of the game, but I think thats what helped it. Everyone I know who played it got addicted to it.

I was around 14 when it came out and how a simple little sim game became so addictive for a bunch of kids into action games is something I never quite understood.

Was the SNES version simplified? Aside from graphical changes I remember it being pretty much the same game

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Sim City on the SNES was such a simple version of the game, but I think thats what helped it. Everyone I know who played it got addicted to it.

Was the SNES version simplified? Aside from graphical changes I remember it being pretty much the same game
I always thought it was, I just remember it being so easy and straightforward to play.

Just to clarify though, I am talking about the original and not sim city 2000

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:11 am

If anything I think the SNES version was enhanced with rewards and city levels. Never tried SC2000 on it, but considering how badly the Saturn version struggled when you had anything bigger than a town I don;t think I'll bother!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:19 am

I love Sim City 2000 on the Saturn, still play it from time to time

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 am

I only tried sim city 2000 briefly for the ps1, and it was rented from blockbuster, and I just couldn't get into it, I wanted to, but it didn't have the draw like the snes version, I loved the moving of the land though, sadly I only rented it for a day so never really gave it the chance, and could never find it for sale anywhere, may need to look into it now though I have a pc that will play it 100% and the joys of the Internet.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:09 pm

loved Sim City on the Amiga, bought a few later versions on the PC but as I feared they were not up to much.