Instances where games were remade/dual versions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Instances where games were remade/dual versions

Post by ncf1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:29 pm

the worst 8-bit conversions thread reminded me of Double Dragon on the C64, and then about games that were re-made, or where there were two versions. For instance Double Dragon on the C64, there was an Ocean version as well as a Melbourne House version; you had Streetfighter with UK and US versions on the C64; and uh.. what other ones were there? There were probably plenty I am not aware of and I'd love to start playing some of the alternate versions that I have hitherto not gazed my eyes upon.

Either 8-bit or 16-bit. Or 32-bit. Doesn't matter.

Antiriad2097

Re: Instances where games were remade/dual versions

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:43 pm

I assume you want stuff that has 2 versions on the same platform, like Aliens US and UK on C64?

Or cases like Bionic Commando on NES, which is a totally different game from all the other versions (though again the C64 has UK and US versions of this game)?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 pm

yes that's correct Antiriad, and you brought up Bionic Commando, another one Ive only played one version of, so that's another I shall track down, actually I have to remember which one it was that I played. Cracking game.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:04 am

I suppose on some level Super Mario Bros 2 and Doki Doki Panic are different enough in general gameplay to qualify as seperate games (SMB2 definitely "Mario's Up" the gameplay of Doki Doki, with Mario series staples like the super mushrooms and the starman being added, etc). They were both distributed in Japan, in fact, as seperate releases.

tuki_cat

Post by tuki_cat » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:46 am

There were two versions of Artic's World Cup Football.

The first was released in the early 1980s. Later US Gold were working on a new game for the Mexico 86 world cup; they got in trouble developing the new game so purchased the rights to World Cup Football and simply added the official licence. The games was released under the name World Cup Carnival for the Speccy, C64 and CPC.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:58 am

That is essentially a rerelease, albeit an underhanded one. The game is the same, with just the title and some ad hoardings changed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:59 am

Commando for everyone else and Space Invasion for the Germans with very few cosmetic changes.

Think Afterburner got uk and us releases and maybe also Space Harrier?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Think Afterburner got uk and us releases
C64 UK Version

C64 US Version

At least the sprite on the US version was nice and it was full screen.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 am

I'm pretty sure there are 2 versions of Tetris on NES - the one we all know with the Sugar Plum Fairy as the main music, and the one that's more like the arcade original including (if I remember correctly) 2 player mode.

The latter I think was suppressed by a lawsuit which Nintendo won giving them the rights to Tetris in certain territories, hence the reason their own version is more familiar despite being arguably inferior to the other.

This is just a quick post from memory so I'll try to have a deeper look later and post an edit if I find anything else.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:56 am

Yes there are 2 version of Tetris for the NES, there is the Nintendo one and Tengen one. There was a big lawsuit over it and the Tengen one was pulled from sale, making it now very rare, it's the much better version too sadly.

The Atari 8-bit has 2 versions of Star Wars, the cartridge version by Parker Brothers and a superior disk/tape version by Domark.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:13 am

After Burner had two versions on the Amiga, too. The UK version was faster, the US version was better in everything else.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 am

There are two Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade games on the NES - one published by Ubi Soft which was basically the same game as the Mega Drive, Game Gear etc.

The other was by Taito and other than a Game Boy port is rather dissimilar to any other version.

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm sure the Mega Drive had two versions of Klax and Marble Madness. For both there was a Japanese version and a US/European version. The US/Euro version of Klax was better than the Japanese version, but the Japanese version of Marble Madness was better than the US and European version.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:42 pm

ncf1 wrote:yes that's correct Antiriad, and you brought up Bionic Commando, another one Ive only played one version of, so that's another I shall track down, actually I have to remember which one it was that I played. Cracking game.
I'd guess you played the fantastic UK version with the best music out of all the Bionic Commando conversions (and better than the arcade version too)....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:36 pm

markopoloman wrote:
ncf1 wrote:yes that's correct Antiriad, and you brought up Bionic Commando, another one Ive only played one version of, so that's another I shall track down, actually I have to remember which one it was that I played. Cracking game.
I'd guess you played the fantastic UK version with the best music out of all the Bionic Commando conversions (and better than the arcade version too)....
hehe indeed you are correct, I've since seen both versions and the UK is just fantastic, crushes the US version like a bug.

I kinda miss that though, the way you could play one of your favourite arcade games and know there was an alternate version for you to try at some point also.