JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:22 am

That's odd. Happy chic virtually ran itself when I first started up my JXD. Self updated and auto listed 1000s of titles. It's a shame you are not getting a better experience.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 am

Will contact andy tomorrow. Not liking it though, it's too backwards (buttons seem the wrong way around) and ecerything is a hassle. I much prefer the retron 5, at least that works out the box.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 am

Are you in the habit of using Android? Moving from ios to Android is a bit odd initially, but very quickly makes sense once you realise what's going on.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Will contact andy tomorrow. Not liking it though, it's too backwards (buttons seem the wrong way around) and ecerything is a hassle. I much prefer the retron 5, at least that works out the box.
Looks like a case of techno phobia or been on iOS too long to see the big picture, the happy chick thing could be a case that they offer two portals for downloads one is slow as hell the other fast-ish, which could be your hassles?, buttons been the wrong way round? I don't get what your saying here? Its like all tablets with game controls, you assign them, they haven't released a fisher price version of the jxd I'm afraid for you to get your head around, but I don't think you've given it a chance, I've used many of these devices and found this to be exceptionally good and never had any form of issue with games or their emulators.

Maybe its because I love the challenge of getting things working to their best or perfected on the jxd, okay the wifi is the downfall of the device, but it's been sold as a gaming tablet and does its job very well, spend some time with it, rather than running for the door because you can't get a handle on it, if I was over there I'd show how good it actually is. Stick it out you may be pleasantly surprised :)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 am

Configuring emulators has always been fiddly I don't expect JXD devices to be any different. Stick with it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Configuring emulators has always been fiddly
I can manage it so they can't be that bad! :mrgreen:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:00 am

It was my first Android device so I found it difficult to use at first - I think I would probably lob it at the wall if I was trying to use it for anything other than games.

But downloading emulators from the app store, copying roms onto the memory card and messing with the emulator settings was pretty simple TBH.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 am

Greyfox wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Will contact andy tomorrow. Not liking it though, it's too backwards (buttons seem the wrong way around) and ecerything is a hassle. I much prefer the retron 5, at least that works out the box.
they haven't released a fisher price version of the jxd I'm afraid for you to get your head around
Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

With regards to the buttons I'm used to always have the a button to select menus etc, yes it's a console thing but you get used to it.
I'm not techy with this sort of stuff meaning I'm going to be like the average used who is picking this up because of everything it offers. If you're not tech-minded it's fiddly to use there's no getting around that.

And yes I don't use Android I use iOS so this is all totally foreign to me. I just don't understand that when my brother brought he around he was downloading and installing everything he wanted via Happy Chick and for some reason that's not working on the version we've been sent. And I'm perfectly aware that it's best to use the proper emulators, but again, that's what the layman is going to be using so I wanted to try and emulate (ho ho) that experience.

I won't be writing the review as I fear I'd be overly negative towards something which is clearly a great bit of kit. I've not got the know how to get stuff like this working on anything other than a base level, so if we do review it (ethics and all that) it will be giving to our resident tech head Nick. I'm clearly a technophobe :?

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:15 pm

what is "happy Chick" is this an unofficial app store? Just use the official play store - the emulators are all on there. Download; frodo c64, marvin (spectrum), mame4droid, snes9x ex+, mupen64+ae free (n64), SToid (Atari ST), SCUMM etc etc all these emulators are free. Half of them will work with the controls (I'm using a wikipad rather than a jxd but it should be exactly the same) - you will need to go into the settings of the emulator (usually by pressing the "more/info" android button - 3 horizontal lines) and going to controls, pressing the "up" one and pushing "up" on the analog stick, pressing the "left" and pushing "left" on the analog stick etc etc, doing the same for the buttons as well.

Then fill a microSD card full of games (make sure you have the originals - we don't advocate piracy :-) ) - and go back into options and assign your rom path - usually something like /storage/sdcard2/roms/spectrum etc - this bit can be a bit fiddly if you don't know the Android directory structure - go up to the top level and look for storage or sdcard - and then navigate down till you see your roms folders

Remember you don't get emulators on IOS - so having them all on Android is brilliant - you can emulate everything from a NES all the way up to N64, PS1 and Dreamcast
c64 > spectrum 48k

zaphod79

Post by zaphod79 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Glad others are finding the case link useful - disapointing that it isnt working well for you Darran

I'd not really used Android before and so yes the way to 'move around' the system was totally new and very confusing
c0nfu53d wrote:Configuring emulators has always been fiddly I don't expect JXD devices to be any different. Stick with it.
This is one part where actually the JXD works really well but its the part that is not working for Darran.

'happychic' is the built in program on the JXD's - you start it up - it updates to the latest version and its just like a 'shopfront' with games on there and a search button

You search for what you want - click the button to download it - it downloads the game and the emulator to work it all pre-configured to for the JXD

No messing with settings , no grabbing weird bios files from other places , no setting up the D-pad or other weird stuff to work correctly - in my experience 'it just works'

Its very console orientated (so MD / SNES / NES / PS1 / DC ) but when it works like this its the type of thing I think you could give to anyone and they could just use it

zaphod79

Post by zaphod79 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:19 pm

kaiserpc wrote:what is "happy Chick" is this an unofficial app store?
See my post - its an unofficial front end for the JXD stuff and avoids you having to setup or configure anything you just search for something click it - download it and it runs.

Its very impressive when it works (i've never really had any problems with it on mine)

Here is a video showing it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luIXG1Upvts

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 pm

The ST emulator SToid isn't free kaiserpc, Hataroid is. I think it's actually better than the paid emu.
Scott me up beamie!

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Greyfox wrote:
they haven't released a fisher price version of the jxd I'm afraid for you to get your head around
Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Nah, I wasn't been that guy fella, its was a comedic reference not about you :) , if you want, you could contact me on Facebook and I'd run thought it with you to help get you familiar with it all and even show you a few shortcuts :) if you are interested and or have the time? Up to you. Can't be fairer that than?
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Bit pointless comparing it to a retron 5

I use mine as a handheld on the bus and lunchtimes at work...its a handheld...not a console....it is a bonus that you can link it up via hdmi to a big screen, but I dont think it should be compared to the retron 5...

The jxd can run more machines anyway.....I also dont agree that it is a hassle....its a bit tricky to set up, but once youve done a little bit of work, it runs sweet...

I have also added c64, pc engine and amiga emulator on mine and they run even better....

Its the perfect accompaniment to the ps vita.....retro on jxd and newer stuff on the vita.

your opinion though...pleased youre not doing the review as it might put people off buying a brilliant bit of tech...(in my opinion)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:25 pm

I would have to agree with you there Benny. Perhaps Daz was just in a bad mood when he looked at his JXD. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD