JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:perhaps with a slightly smaller screen.
that's a tad odd. Why would you want a smaller screen? One of the JXDs plus points is the big screen in my opinion.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 pm

gman72 wrote:One of the JXDs plus points is the big screen in my opinion.
I agree - although I would take a smaller screen version as I find it difficult to press the L2 / R2 buttons without pressing L1 / R1 by mistake
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 pm

The big screen is great...especially at home.

However I don't find it as easy on the communte.... I take psp or ds instead.

If they did a smaller screen, I'd have still got the bigger one though!!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Has anyone had any problems with the key mapping app? It was working fine before but I seem to have suddenly lost the ability to save my settings. I thought this was just the PS1 emulator but it seems to be a general thing. When I tap save, the app closes but doesn't save anything. :(

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Well have managed to set up Happy Chick to save PS1 games to the external sd card and have now managed to transfer it to a new sd card that I got a few days ago as the other one was full.

So is Reicast difficult to set up? Sounds a bit convoluted, any advice would be gratefully received. :)

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Install Reicast, drop BIOS files into folder, drop game ISO in, play game. Same as most emus that need BIOS files really.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 pm

JXD do this one - emulates up to N64 and some N64 are playable ish. Same screen size as vita.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 pm

S5110b

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Ignored this thread as I've got a couple of android tablets and a Windows tablet - but one android tablet has died. Just read through loads of this and it sounds excellent! It is now on my shopping list :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Install Reicast, drop BIOS files into folder, drop game ISO in, play game. Same as most emus that need BIOS files really.
Thanks Ant, just thought there was a bit of messing about needed after reading a few posts above, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Also have issues with Frodo64, it is all installed and works but as I scroll down the list of games it gets to about D in the list and then the whole thing slows down, freezes, the games list glitches out and then the app crashes back to the desktop. Can't seem to fix it either. I suppose a delete and reinstall may help. Anyone else had tnis issue? There are quite a few games in the list.

Go get one Marko, you won't regret it Sir! :)

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 am

boggyb68 wrote:Also have issues with Frodo64....
Dunno about that but im using C64.emu and it works a treat!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 am

markopoloman wrote:Ignored this thread as I've got a couple of android tablets and a Windows tablet - but one android tablet has died. Just read through loads of this and it sounds excellent! It is now on my shopping list :D
Marko - you may want to take a look at the wikipad as well - this is what I'm using for the retroleague this time around. It has great controls and they are also detachable if you want to use just the tablet. It's currently less than £70 from ebuyer (it used to be £250 when it was first released). Analog/digital controls, loads of buttons - including shoulder buttons, tegra 3, 1gb ram, Android 4.2. I've tested loads of emulators with it and it works great with them all (c64, speccy, nes, snes, gba, ds, megadrive, n64, ST, mame etc)
c64 > spectrum 48k

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:46 am

boggyb68 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Install Reicast, drop BIOS files into folder, drop game ISO in, play game. Same as most emus that need BIOS files really.
Thanks Ant, just thought there was a bit of messing about needed after reading a few posts above, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Also have issues with Frodo64, it is all installed and works but as I scroll down the list of games it gets to about D in the list and then the whole thing slows down, freezes, the games list glitches out and then the app crashes back to the desktop. Can't seem to fix it either. I suppose a delete and reinstall may help. Anyone else had tnis issue? There are quite a few games in the list.

Go get one Marko, you won't regret it Sir! :)

Cheers

B.
I have had issues setting up Reicast on the JXD. The bios files need to be put in three folders called Data and then the emulator will read them. This forum is the only place where I could find that advice over the whole internet. This may well be something to do with the JXD rather than using the emulator on PC. I would advise you get advice from users of the actual device rather than people jumping into the thread who don't use a JXD. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:S5110b
Yea, i saw that one a while back, i think its a great idea, just a touch underpowered. They need to do another update of this, with a dual or quad core processor and 2gb of RAM, then i'd be a customer!
gman72 wrote:
that's a tad odd. Why would you want a smaller screen? One of the JXDs plus points is the big screen in my opinion.
The smaller the unit the better for this kind of device IMO, for the L/R button spacing, and as well as emulating the screens of handheld consoles better. Playing any handheld game on a screen that size or bigger looks stretched or just too big. A PSP size screen would do the trick for me.

I really liked the screen and form on my old Xperia Play, it was great. They perhaps could have done a slightly better job on the d-pad, but otherwise it was the perfect emulator toy - just whack in a better processor and more RAM to keep it modern.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 pm

How big are N64, Dreamcast and PS1 roms? I'm interested in getting one of these for emulating higher end retro machines (if that even makes any sense). Quite happy with my Pandora with it's physical keyboard for the 8Bit and 16Bit stuff, but anything above that and it really chugs. what capacity SD cards are you guys using in these, what will it recognise?