JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 am

Suped up laptop but just for emu's with a PS4 controller attached. I only used the JXD for filming footage for Youtube so this is a better way for me :D
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:44 am

Cheers, still looking at that new Android tablet for gaming which looks good, GPD XD - tempted

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 am

It's a good bit of kit but expensive. If you are prepared to wait a few months it should drop in price.

eRetronic

Post by eRetronic » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm

i have just got one of these but could really do with someone's help on the emulation side and mainly the button mapping side
one i thing i dont know is how to insert coins as when i press the select or start buttons on the jxd it just brings up the load state menu :oops: :oops:

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 am

Need to list which emulators you are using. Is it hacked firmware etc?

eRetronic

Post by eRetronic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Need to list which emulators you are using. Is it hacked firmware etc?

I am a little bit old skool so not up on hacked firmware etc :oops:

It is a stock shop bought JXD so nothing modded afaik

I have put on mame and associated roms plus megadrive/snes emus but do not know how to make the roms and joystick/keys work.

tried looking on you tube etc but cant make them work

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Are you not just using Happy Chick? I thought that was on JXDs by default.

Essentially its a front end that takes care of emulator installation and configuration, with the added bonus of being able to search for and download games. First time you download a game for a system, it'll install the required emulator.

Designed for people like yourself imo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:31 pm

eRetronic - I just got one too, nifty little thing isn't it? I had the same issue with MAME and insert coins, couldn't find a solution, just stumbled upon one not long ago, you just turn the jxd vertically and you will see coin and start options appear on the screen. Also I had trouble with the roms, you have to get the right romset. My emulator says it needs 0139.u1 romset but actually I tried 0.149 and almost all the roms worked, so was lucky there.

but at least one thing fixed with the coin insert, just starting out with this thing too. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:15 pm

eRetronic wrote:i have just got one of these but could really do with someone's help on the emulation side and mainly the button mapping side
one i thing i dont know is how to insert coins as when i press the select or start buttons on the jxd it just brings up the load state menu :oops: :oops:
I'm using MAME4droid (0.139u1)

If you press Start & Select at the same time then the standard MAME menu appears and you can assign buttons as you would when using the PC version, use A button to select stuff, use the button above Start (with the arrow) to go back
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Not sure if it helps, but when you have the roms listed on the main screen, pressing the four squares button (above the select) which brings up the settings menu.

you can tweak stuff in there.

on the configuration / input menu select External controller.
Select define keys, select player one and redefine each key where you want it..including insert coin.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:27 pm

now just need to figure out how to shift gears in games like Outrun et al, in MAME4Droid, this one has me right stumped at the moment.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:58 am

ncf1 wrote:now just need to figure out how to shift gears in games like Outrun et al, in MAME4Droid, this one has me right stumped at the moment.
My post above should solve that. Start & Select takes you to MAME menu, go to the game controls for the specific game and find the gear shift option
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:22 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
ncf1 wrote:now just need to figure out how to shift gears in games like Outrun et al, in MAME4Droid, this one has me right stumped at the moment.
My post above should solve that. Start & Select takes you to MAME menu, go to the game controls for the specific game and find the gear shift option
Thanks Bub&Bob, for me it was 2 different keys for some reason, but its what did the trick so thank you most kindly for your help!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Ok having given it quite a bit of a run now, here are my opinions (JXD S7800b) for what its worth :
It can do a lot, and I like those. Loads of things to try and it kept me occupied for days on end with little time to even come up for air, so I loved that there was just so much to try out. And still lots more to do, so this for me was a big plus.

I love the big 7-inch screen. The 3DS XL I have is still too small, for me a 7 inch screen is just right, and it is a nice, clear display, just love the screen.

The emulators themselves, well it ranges from great to a bit iffy but its just like with PC emulation, not quite perfect all the time, although I am very impressed with MAME, and in particular the PS1 emulation which is just fantastic. Ive also played around with an Apple II emulator, Amiga emu, which are good, Android games come out fantastic as to be expected, so I have been pleased with the level of emulation overall.

The battery life isn't bad, I think its around on par with the 3DS, so not bad.

The wifi speed is fine, just the distance is a problem, I have to be sat right next to the pc for it to function. But the speed is fine.

People seem to have an issue with the JXD construction and I admit its not fantastically brilliant but really its fine - the one issue I have is the controls. I just hate the thumbsticks. They slip, slide, your finger rolls off all the time, it feels like ice skating but never actually improving. I *hate* the thumbsticks. The buttons are ok, not brilliant but very good, although the shoulder buttons really need improvement, they are sticky and do feel cheap.

the 16gb goes very quickly, but there is room for an sd card which I will be getting, so shouldn't be too bad once installed.

The sound quality is not great.. average at best. But it doesn't detract that much from gameplay, but still.. it would have been nicer to hear what sounds like transistor-quality sound coming from the speakers. It does cheapen it a bit.

Overall though, it plays the games and plays them well. You just feel a bit disappointed though that they couldn't have ironed out a few little issues to perfect the damn thing... you cant help but think for example how solid and 'perfect' feeling the Nintendo 3DS or DS is, you really can tell this after playing around with the JXD for a while. it feels imperfect; not quite as polished as it could be, and that is my only real niggle. I see now that they have brought out the JXD Singularity... so I guess they may have improved things a bit. But at $530Aus or whatever it is, right now I wont be taking the plunge.. no chance. The JXD S700B is good enough for me, and overall I will give a ... lets se.. 7.5/10. It is a very nice little machine, and only let down by a lack of overall polish. I am, though, happy with it overall.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:38 am

Hadn't heard of the Singularity until now.

Website here: http://www.jxd.hk/game-console/s192/

It looks a very awkward device - not happy about the location of the left analogue stick. Looks almost unusable?

I loved my JXD when I first got it. But as someone pointed out somewhere in this thread - Chinese devices seem to go wrong over time. A year later and I had a lot of issues with it. Had to reset the whole thing. Haven't been motivated enough to reinstall and reconfigure it all again. :(
The other thing was that they ever managed to get the right stick working meaning a lot of PS1 and DC games etc just wont work.

I like the look of this:
http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/gpd-xd-r ... ng-gamepad

Bit expensive but it mirroring the DS so closely means that the buttons should at least be comfortable.