JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am

Android PS1 emulation is far from perfect on any game or system, but it's more than good enough for most of us.

I'm very much of the 'good enough' school, as long as I can view/play it to a reasonable degree and there are no horribly game breaking bugs, I'm happy.

Which is why I didn't buy a JXD ;)

Go for the Wikipad, its much cheaper and does just as well. Marginally less powerful as a Tegra 3 device, but runs most stuff with good controls. Bulkier than the JXD mind, I do like that one's form factor, but I like my removable tablet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Android PS1 emulation is far from perfect on any game or system, but it's more than good enough for most of us.

I'm very much of the 'good enough' school, as long as I can view/play it to a reasonable degree and there are no horribly game breaking bugs, I'm happy.

Which is why I didn't buy a JXD ;)

Go for the Wikipad, its much cheaper and does just as well. Marginally less powerful as a Tegra 3 device, but runs most stuff with good controls. Bulkier than the JXD mind, I do like that one's form factor, but I like my removable tablet.
Lets hope that Gman doesn't read this, or his head will explode.

It must be added that PS1 emulation is far from perfect not just on Android, but also on highest end PC's and even on models of PS3 which has an emulator built by Sony!

I fully accept some people will be happy with stuff that isn't perfect or accurate, but I think as a package, this console isn't for me and many others.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
gman72 wrote:I don't mind if you wish to accuse me of crying. :D
I was wondering if you could name me specific PSX titles you have had issues with in the past as I would be keen to test them on the JXD. Many thanks.
You might not literally cry, but i'm spoiling your little JXD fanboy extravaganza with reasonable points of view about android emulation (which requires criticism so that the goal of nigh on 100% accuracy can one day be met then we can all celebrate together) and less than perfect build quality. You are also taking on the wrong person if you are the type who wants to get the last word in - basically, this thread will go back and forth till its locked since we will never agree nor back down.

As for selecting PS1 games, it seems futile, since our definitions of compatibility, authenticity and accuracy are different. You'd need to specify what android PS1 emulator you are using first. Maybe you could just try Ape Escape and tell me how you get on with it and the cheap analogue sticks - although I suppose you could at least just bluetooth a PS3 pad and pair it to your 7800 for a proper experience.....right?
I really don't mind if you wish to call me a fanboy. :D
Do I really have to try Ape Escape... I can't stand that game? Pick a cool game for me to test. I can tell you which emulator the JXD uses when i get home from work later. I would be quite keen on testing an emulated title agianst the real hardware so If I own the game (and I own a fair few PSX games) I can do a test both ways and see what the differences actually are. Certainly nothing that effects gameplay on the JXD - certainly not in the titles i've tried so far. It's certainly more than acceptable for me at this point. As for you talking about having the last word I really didn't realise we were actually arguing. I have noticed you seeming to get more angry in your replies and to start name calling in your last few posts, but if thats what you need to try and get your point across then i'm ok with that within reason.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:04 pm

gman72 wrote: I really don't mind if you wish to call me a fanboy. :D
Do I really have to try Ape Escape... I can't stand that game? Pick a cool game for me to test. I can tell you which emulator the JXD uses when i get home from work later. I would be quite keen on testing an emulated title agianst the real hardware so If I own the game (and I own a fair few PSX games) I can do a test both ways and see what the differences actually are. Certainly nothing that effects gameplay on the JXD - certainly not in the titles i've tried so far. It's certainly more than acceptable for me at this point. As for you talking about having the last word I really didn't realise we were actually arguing. I have noticed you seeming to get more angry in your replies and to start name calling in your last few posts, but if thats what you need to try and get your point across then i'm ok with that within reason.
I wasn't meaning to offend you by labelling you as a fanboy, just stating my observation and its a joke, not an insult.

We are having an argument about the JXD and Android, but that doesn't mean either of us is getting angry or throwing fists or getting deeply personal. I'm glad I'm not angering you, its not my intention, and I'm hardly "name calling", i'm just making a joke about you representing JXD and being a fanboy. If I resort to actual ad-hominen attacks and called you a knuckle-dragging c**t, you may have a point, but I'm relaxed and I hold no aggression towards you to insult you in that way.

Tell me what the emulator is when you get back, and I'll look into it as well. I've tried epsxe and fpse (which I have paid for on Android for my sins) which seem to be the top two on Android in terms of compatibility and accuracy (both running on a Samsung Note 3, Archos Gamepad, Nexus 7, Xperia Play, Samsung Tab 2). As i've said time and time again, I'm pleased for you that you are satisfied with the 7800. It works for you, but its just not quite there for me yet (neither is general PS1 emulation as a whole in current form after both trying it and reading feedback, be it on PC, PS3 or android....i play my PS1 games on a PS1 or PS2 phat....at a stretch i'll play them as PSN games on PSP). Its important that this thread airs both sides of the coin, which we are doing. We have different opinions, its not the end of the world and I'm sure you agree. Lets just hope JXD don't see this and cancel your contract with them though!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:33 pm

gman72 wrote:Shin, i'm not just saying it for the benefit of my health and I have no reason to lie. Snes, MD, PC, Spectrum and C64 are brilliant on this system. I can't really put it any other way. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTsO7D ... e=youtu.be

have a view of this video and see if it helps.
The fifth-generation 32-bit eras look decent certainly much better than I was expecting it to look on a HD screen on the other hand the Neo Geo Emulator 'Metal Slug's' colours are wrong and the scan lines make it look like it's being played on a HD telly.. Snes seems pretty good but as the guy said sounds not 100% perfect, and it runs slower... I think the problem with the JXD for me is the size and after watching the guys video the controllers look awful admittedly he said they aren't great.. Thing is as I own the Original consoles I'd rather play the games on the original hardware through my 21 inch CRT with the original controller as Seperioth mentioned I couldn't see Dreamcast or N64 games being easy to play on the JXD.. Then again I understand why people do like it, but I think I will stick to my DS for 8 bit emulation.. Not knocking the JXD just not really for me I've got a Apple I Pad I';ve not turned on in over a year
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:44 pm

I'd prefer to carry on the convo without any name calling if I'm honest. Be it fanboy or the passive aggressive stuff ITS-NOT-LIKE-IM-CALLING-YOU-A-KNUCKLEDRAGGING-**** I just don't think it is needed when we are just talking about emulators. I don't really mind its just not conducive to a sensible conversation.

The emulator used on the JXD for PSX is ePSXe but it's just listed as PS1 emulator for happy chick on the device itself. If you could list the issues you have with an agreed game I would be very keen to see what I'm apparently missing and whether or not it's of any significance to me. I'm quite keen on doing some comparison videos for YouTube for JXD vs real hardware in order to get a balance. Probably Snes and PSX.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:14 pm

gman72 wrote:I'd prefer to carry on the convo without any name calling if I'm honest. Be it fanboy or the passive aggressive stuff ITS-NOT-LIKE-IM-CALLING-YOU-A-KNUCKLEDRAGGING-**** I just don't think it is needed when we are just talking about emulators. It doesn't upset me I just don't think it is needed. Anger doesn't butter any parsnips with me.

The emulator used on the JXD for PSX is ePSXe but it's just listed as PS1 emulator for happy chick on the device itself. If you could list the issues you have with an agreed game I would be very keen to see what I'm apparently missing and whether or not it's of any significance to me. :D
I wasn't trying to upset you or your parsnips, in any way, you're reading far too much into a discussion on the internet.

There, its ePSXe, a decent emulator, but hardly fully compatible (even on a PC, least of all a weedy android device), let alone high accuracy that I aspire to, you can simply look up a list of compatibility issues yourself and decide yourself whether it bothers you or not, i'm sure it won't which we knew about 6 months ago.

For a moment, I thought you were going to pull out a JXD exclusive emulator that was created via hacking Sony files to create the best Playstation emulator on the planet. You had me going for a moment....no, its just ePSXe.

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I've owned a JXD 7800B for quite a few months and found the PSX emulation to be really good. The games are very playable without any glitches. If you want the perfect technical experience then you should use the original hardware.

For a android emulation device with physical controls I can't fault this machine. The only machine I'm struggling to emulate is the Commodore 16, as vice is being rather tricky to set up. If anyone can offer any help with the C16/Plus 4 emulation, I'd really appreciate it.

Other 8 Bit & 16 bit machines run beautifully. N64 & Dreamcast are good but with the odd glitch.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:29 pm

C16 wrote:I've owned a JXD 7800B for quite a few months and found the PSX emulation to be really good. The games are very playable without any glitches. If you want the perfect technical experience then you should use the original hardware.

For a android emulation device with physical controls I can't fault this machine. The only machine I'm struggling to emulate is the Commodore 16, as vice is being rather tricky to set up. If anyone can offer any help with the C16/Plus 4 emulation, I'd really appreciate it.

Other 8 Bit & 16 bit machines run beautifully. N64 & Dreamcast are good but with the odd glitch.
yeah that's pretty much how I'm finding it too. You could spend all your time striving for some perfection with emulation that you may never reach. Or just enjoy games in whatever format suits you the most, be it original hardware or emulation. We are lucky to have so much choice these days. :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 am

gman72 wrote:I'm quite keen on doing some comparison videos for YouTube for JXD vs real hardware in order to get a balance. Probably Snes and PSX.
As you can't see any issues with ePSXe on Android, you're probably not the person to be doing this.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
gman72 wrote:I'm quite keen on doing some comparison videos for YouTube for JXD vs real hardware in order to get a balance. Probably Snes and PSX.
As you can't see any issues with ePSXe on Android, you're probably not the person to be doing this.
Well that's the point of a comparison video, its all there on the screen. I've been emulating PSX for ages so some real hardware comparisons may put minds at ease. Its all very well us having opinions but an on screen comparison is fairly concrete. :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am

The developers of ePSXe admit its not totally perfect and continuing to make progress on both Android and PC platforms. If Sony can't get it quite right on a Playstation 3 (not criticising, as the PS1 emulation is decent on that platform, but its still a better experience playing it on a PS2 which has native hardware in and no glitching at all), what have outsiders got who may not understand the PS1 hardware so intricately?

Bear in mind that even SNES emulation is not perfect in 2015 on Android and we're talking about a highly unsophisticated 16 bit 3.58mhz cpu. Play Zelda III (an 8mbit game with no use of custom chips or anything special), and the timing of the introduction (triforce) is still quite a bit out on what it was on native hardware. Although this is rectified on Higans highly (claims of 100%) accurate emulator. Sure ZSNES and SNES9X are decent because they are fast and do a job, but lets not claim emulation is accurate. This is what the whole debate is about, differing tolerances of whats accurate and what isn't. I hope there will be more people like me, so that development on these emulators continues, rather than just settling for something adequate.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:The developers of ePSXe admit its not totally perfect and continuing to make progress on both Android and PC platforms. If Sony can't get it quite right on a Playstation 3 (not criticising, as the PS1 emulation is decent on that platform, but its still a better experience playing it on a PS2 which has native hardware in and no glitching at all), what have outsiders got who may not understand the PS1 hardware so intricately?

Bear in mind that even SNES emulation is not perfect in 2015 on Android and we're talking about a highly unsophisticated 16 bit 3.58mhz cpu. Play Zelda III (an 8mbit game with no use of custom chips or anything special), and the timing of the introduction (triforce) is still quite a bit out on what it was on native hardware. Although this is rectified on Higans highly (claims of 100%) accurate emulator. Sure ZSNES and SNES9X are decent because they are fast and do a job, but lets not claim emulation is accurate. This is what the whole debate is about, differing tolerances of whats accurate and what isn't. I hope there will be more people like me, so that development on these emulators continues, rather than just settling for something adequate.
Well it's more than adequate to me, couple of colours here, slight speed differential there, it's all fairly minimal in my eyes and the games still look beautiful on the JXD screen even if the yellow of the background isn't as yellow as it should be. As you quite rightly point out though it's all about tolerances of what's accurate and what isn't. I was reading through a compatibility list for ePSXe last night actually and it was tested on some such or other smart phone. One game that I've tested on my JXD is Chrono Cross and on the list it stated that a blue line appears on the screen and is always present. I know that this is not the case on the JXD as I was play said game on it very recently. There were no really noticeable glitches that I picked up on. So maybe the compatibility list are not updated regularly or some android devices fair better than others. All the more reason for me to do a few impartial comparison vids so we can all see the extent of the issues. :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:09 pm

gman72 wrote: Well it's more than adequate to me, couple of colours here, slight speed differential there, it's all fairly minimal in my eyes and the games still look beautiful on the JXD screen even if the yellow of the background isn't as yellow as it should be. As you quite rightly point out though it's all about tolerances of what's accurate and what isn't. I was reading through a compatibility list for ePSXe last night actually and it was tested on some such or other smart phone. One game that I've tested on my JXD is Chrono Cross and on the list it stated that a blue line appears on the screen and is always present. I know that this is not the case on the JXD as I was play said game on it very recently. There were no really noticeable glitches that I picked up on. So maybe the compatibility list are not updated regularly or some android devices fair better than others. All the more reason for me to do a few impartial comparison vids so we can all see the extent of the issues. :D
Video capture won't be able to detect some of the timing issues that the naked eye can pick up on. If you want to go ahead and produce a video of random games, you go ahead, "have at it hoss". As you and I have both said now on numerous occasions, there will always be two camps on this issue, those who accept minor problems, and those that would rather just play it on a native system or wait until there is an emulator with a higher degree of accuracy. I see no problem with the hardware, it should easily be able to do it, just need optimisation of the emulators. The PS3 one is very good largely, but I only put PS1 discs in there out of curiosity rather than playing them seriously. I will always use a PS1 or PS2 (phat) for this job.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 pm

gman72 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Well that's the point of a comparison video, its all there on the screen. I've been emulating PSX for ages so some real hardware comparisons may put minds at ease. Its all very well us having opinions but an on screen comparison is fairly concrete. :D
The point of a comparison video is to highlight the differences. Differences you apparently don't see, so you'd gloss over it and it may not be obvious on the captured video.

We'd be better off with Sephiroth doing it, since he seems to be highly tuned towards spotting the issues. With his commentary, he'd highlight the problems and we could decide whether those were significant to us or not.

Not that I expect him to do it, just highlighting the difference in approach and value of the comparison.