JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Montytom

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by Montytom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I recieved a second machine but that had a dead pixel-I could live with that but the direction pad was sticking so I sent it back and got a refund.
Shame as it promised so much but twice having not fully functioning machines meant i didnt want a third.

Give funstock there dues they put the money straight back into my bank after recieving the product back

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Montytom wrote:I recieved a second machine but that had a dead pixel-I could live with that but the direction pad was sticking so I sent it back and got a refund.
Shame as it promised so much but twice having not fully functioning machines meant i didnt want a third.

Give funstock there dues they put the money straight back into my bank after recieving the product back
Oh dear, this whole thread isn't a good advert for JXD!
Scott me up beamie!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Will contact andy tomorrow. Not liking it though, it's too backwards (buttons seem the wrong way around) and ecerything is a hassle. I much prefer the retron 5, at least that works out the box.
This. It's cumbersome and fiddle and I am an Android user. When you get it to work though, it is very good.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm a non-techy - I had a hudl... I don't understand what a hassle with it? I'll try and help if I can, as I was up and running inside 10mins?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:12 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
Montytom wrote:I recieved a second machine but that had a dead pixel-I could live with that but the direction pad was sticking so I sent it back and got a refund.

Well many of us are enjoying our JXDs very much and have had few problems with it. Mine has no dead pixels, no sticking buttons, is not fiddly, virtually set itself up and works wonderfully. Some users have had problems and you have to sympathise with those guys but to say the thread isn't a good advert for the JXD is not accurate. :)
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 am

Sorry to hear you don't like it much Daz, stick with mate, it will come good in the end. :)

I had never used Android before getting this being an ios user but have found it ok, the odd config issue with where files are stored and the folder structure aside all has been relatively straight forward, then again I'm an emu config veteran.. :)

Am going to look into Reicast this weekend, and am getting the PS1 emu stocked up.

Only issue atm is on Happy Chick I can't select the faster download link when getting a game, I can only select the standard one.

I am enjoying the JXD, like Benny said it compliments the vita and that great screen means the PSP is getting used a bit less atm. :)

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm

gman72 wrote:
Scratch_Porkings wrote:

Well many of us are enjoying our JXDs very much and have had few problems with it. Mine has no dead pixels, no sticking buttons, is not fiddly, virtually set itself up and works wonderfully. Some users have had problems and you have to sympathise with those guys but to say the thread isn't a good advert for the JXD is not accurate. :)
Dont get me wrong Gman, My best friends got one and he dropped it in to me to set it up and fill it with emus and roms. He knows I love messing with gadgets and emus. I thought it was awsome (though I never got happy chick going, the download button never showed up) I did want one for my birthday in april but my sons smashed his linx7 so it looks like he'll get my nexus and I'll get to repair his thing for myself. Thats the pleasures of being a dad, gutted.
Scott me up beamie!

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:45 am

I think there are more JXD owners in this thread with positive opinions than those with negative. Unfortunately, as is natural, the negative comments stick harder.

I'll pin my post it note to the wall though - the JXD is one of the best devices I've ever bought. And no I don't have shares in the company. I'm genuinely in love with it.
:)

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 am

My findings are just that my findings.
Im not slagging the console off as if mine were fine then I would still have it now.
Will i get one in the future-Yes i will but im going to leave it a while.
I hope people realise i have nothing against these tablets

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Its tres cool that the new happy chic update has a full set of neo geo pocket ROMs. Metal Slug 1st and 2nd mission here we come :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

andyfunstock

Post by andyfunstock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Nick how did you perform the update? I can't even get it to download!
From here mate: http://www.happychick.hk/ - you should be able to load it straight from your JXD.

Personally, I totally avoid Happy Chick and do everything via SD. It's a simple drag and drop situation.
General Manager at http://www.funstock.co.uk

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks Andy...sadly, that doesn't download either! No biggy, assume its server issues their end.

I don't use Happy Chick, but reading good things on here,thought I'd give it a bash.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Ashens has reviewed it now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVvQbJMe79o

He said it was very fiddly to set up too and he is pretty tech savvy.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't think that's quite what he meant, I took it to mean that setting up emulators can be fiddly... not the device.

The comments about Dreamcast and N64 reflected my experience - i.e. emulation isn't great.. which is down to the emulators, rather than device.

Good review though...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Still loving the device. Tried to get Uae4all2 up and running but no luck. I have put the kickstarter rom in android/data/pandora.uae4all.sdl/files/kickstarts and a few .adf files in the roms folder but when I click onto insert disk image and select the roms folder it shows no files. I've never used an Amiga emu before so any help would be great!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward