JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Gigifusc

JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Just been reading about it and it looks too good to be true for retro games.

Anyone share their thoughts and experiences before I cough out £125 on one?

I'm interested in how well it emulates all the Sega & Nintendo machines but also the 8 bit computers (C64/Speccy etc) and very importantly the Amiga.
Cheers.

:)

Antiriad2097

Re: JXD android tablet - anyone have one & opinions?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:47 pm

There's a thread here:
http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49552

Still curious about suppliers myself.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 am

Yes, given the many reports of DOA and short-lived units, I'd be getting it from somewhere with a decent returns policy at any rate. They may just be isolated incidents, but better safe than sorry.

My own experience of the early JXD tablets is that they were inferior to the Archos ones, although opinion seems to be that they've got a lot better while Archos haven't really made much headway themselves. Neither device is going to be in remotely the same class as the Nvidia Shield tablet, but at half the price I suppose it doesn't have to be.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:28 am

I know a few of us got one for x-mas myself included and i've barely put it down. Ive had it on all day evryday since x-mas day :lol:

Pros.
Good build quality, great screen. Not expensive. Free access to hundreds and hundreds of ROMS across several popular platforms. All the content of any android device via the google playstore including extra emulators and advanced Android games. Powerful processor. 8 or 16Gb (recommended) internal storage. USB Flashdrive and micro SD compatible so you can play your own emulators and Rom sets.

Cons
I have not found many so far but poor wi-fi distance and fairly short battery life are things i've noticed, it's so easy to eat up a battery charge with sooooooo much content.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:53 pm

I've always fancied one, I instead got a Archos Gamepad 1 which soured my view as the screen was rubbish, battery life poor and the d-pad naff....but the Gamepad 2 and the JXD seems to have rectified this.

Its a tad bulky for me, i prefer Nintendo DS/PSP size handhelds (I think there is a JXD that is essentially a PSP rip off....but running on android which might be an option, but I think the specs are a touch underpowered compared to the tablet, which is a shame).

A good bit of kit, but I don't think its QUITE the one stop shop that means we should ditch PSP's and Nintendo DS's yet. Sadly.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:05 pm

well it emulates DS perfectly, PSP not quite so well. although i'm told this is because of the quality of the emulator rather than the power of the tablet. I've been playing Shenmue via the Dreamcast emulator all morning and it runs very well indeed.
With regards to its exact specs;

7inch IPS display 1280x800 pixels
5 point capacitive touch panel
Android 4.2.3
Quad core CPU
Front and rear cameroa 2.0 MP
100,00 Android games, 12 built in emulators, games cloud and games download channel.
3 control methods. Touch, buttons and G sensor
Dpad, ABCD, L+R 1 and 2, dual analog, select, start, home, menu and button mapping.
Wi-Fi, external ethernet and 3G Dongle
3 axis gravity sensor
dual stereo speakers
supports RMVB, AVI, MP4, WMV, F4V, FLV, also supports 3rd party apps.
supports MP3, WMA, Flac, OGG etc
rechargeable lithium battery
connectors; USB 2.0 (external keyboard, mouse, HDD ect) 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, micro SD card up to 64gb
HDMI up to 1080p dual TV JXD display

dont really know how the JXD holds up power wise to the DS or PSP but it certainly ticks all the right boxes.
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Thinking of getting a cheap Android tablet just for my iCade (so MAME/emulation etc). Max size 9.7 inches

Any decent cheap ones that you can recommend ? I'll only want it for MAME/emulation (and just a few apps)

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:18 pm

gman72 wrote:well it emulates DS perfectly, PSP not quite so well. I've been playing Shenmue via the Dreamcast emulator all morning and it runs very well indeed.
Does it run on dreamcast games well or is it bait of hit and miss with it?

I love my dreamcast and sadly, where I am now I'm unable to have it set up all the time, come to think of it I'm not 100% sure where it is at the minute, but if this does dreamcast games, and more so, both Shenmue games, it may sway me to get one after all...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:18 pm

gman72 wrote:well it emulates DS perfectly, PSP not quite so well. I've been playing Shenmue via the Dreamcast emulator all morning and it runs very well indeed.
Good to know that DS emulation is making progress, although "perfectly" is perhaps a slight stretch! "Perfectly well" might be more appropriate! I think its approximately at about 90% compatibility (some games work a lot better than others, Mario Kart DS is a bit laggy in places), and I'm not sure if it works with the microphone or you can multiplayer link, and I suspect there can be issues with having the screens side by side, rather than on top of each other, although that may be something which can be altered in the options menu. It can only improve with time, and of course hardware improvements.

Its incredible though that the Dreamcast is working well on it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:28 pm

there are multiple options for screen configuration on the DS emulator. Ive played Legend Of Kade DS and Bowsers Inside story and both run the same as on my DSi XL, though I have not yet tried Mariokart or online functionality. :D

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:32 pm

HisNHer_LP wrote:
Does it run on dreamcast games well or is it bait of hit and miss with it?

I love my dreamcast and sadly, where I am now I'm unable to have it set up all the time, come to think of it I'm not 100% sure where it is at the minute, but if this does dreamcast games, and more so, both Shenmue games, it may sway me to get one after all...
its not 100 percent compatible yet. Ive tried Blue Stinger, Shenmue and Ecco. Ecco was glitchy as hell but the others run really well with only very minor visible issues. Again the forums say that this is due to the ever evolving Reicast emulator rather that tablet limitations.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Battery life is 3-4 hours on a full charge.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks all for replies.

Has anyone tried the Speccy and/or Amiga emulator on it?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Gigifusc wrote:Thanks all for replies.

Yep, i have a full set of amiga 500 roms on my mini SD card and they look and run lovely on winuae emulator for android which is free on the store. There are several free speccy emulators on the google play store most of them connect direct to rom sites like WOS and download whatever rom you select. Again they look and play lovely. The JXD processor does not even break a sweat with anything from PS1 backwards.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:57 pm

gman72 wrote:
Gigifusc wrote:Thanks all for replies.

Yep, i have a full set of amiga 500 roms on my mini SD card and they look and run lovely on winuae emulator for android which is free on the store. There are several free speccy emulators on the google play store most of them connect direct to rom sites like WOS and download whatever rom you select. Again they look and play lovely. The JXD processor does not even break a sweat with anything from PS1 backwards.

Oh that's great thank you for that. Think that's pretty much made my mind up then. :)