Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:35 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:^ With how cheap Steam games tend to be, there is no need for piracy on the PC anymore anyway... :P
Well hey, guess that makes everything ok then. All those developers that went belly up will be glad to hear that.
Now now, we all know that was because they started to cater to console gamers who decided to ignore their games... :mrgreen:
Well, we do have higher standards,

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Just on a side note, you do realise that a Steambox is likely to cause even more of the problems you are blaming on consoles don't you.

Pc developers will flock to it and will have to fit within the specs it has ( which is already a huge problem as none of the companies involved can decide what they should be ) So if they are based around any sort of mid range PC then they are going to take even less advantage of a normal PC than current console games would.

And lets be honest here Valve themselves have no where near the financial clout to put into R&D that MS and sony have.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:58 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Just on a side note, you do realise that a Steambox is likely to cause even more of the problems you are blaming on consoles don't you.

Pc developers will flock to it and will have to fit within the specs it has ( which is already a huge problem as none of the companies involved can decide what they should be ) So if they are based around any sort of mid range PC then they are going to take even less advantage of a normal PC than current console games would.

And lets be honest here Valve themselves have no where near the financial clout to put into R&D that MS and sony have.
I'm aware of the potential issues it could have and Valve are also relatively new to the hardware biz. I think we'll just have to wait and see what kind of sollutions they will come up with. The "Steam Box" might be more of a concept at the current stage, but for sure they will be developing and evolving it further.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:37 pm

It's hard to take the high ground if you are going to resort to labelling PC gamers as pirates (a lot are but don't label them as a whole) or come out with comments such as "PCs are censored anyway" as an earlier commentator did.
Elitists are annoying and should just let people enjoy the platform of their choice.
They are also a very vocal minority. You will find that a lot of PC gamers also own consoles and are quite happy gaming on them.
Some games are just more enjoyable on console.

Very few games are designed specifically for high-end PCs. They need to be scalable so developers aim for mid-tier and then add options to either raise or lower the experience.
Piracy is a problem on PC but is not unique to the system. How many C90 tapes did you guys have in your Spectrum/ C64 days? And it was absolutely rampant on the Amiga.
As long as there is a way for self-entitled people to get something for free, they will. I am not excusing it either, with the constant sales on PC there really is no excuse.

The Steambox is more of an attack on Windows rather than Xbox or Playstation. Gabe Newell isn't very happy with the direction that Microsoft are taking their OS and wants a platform for Steams own Linux OS (still in development).
I don't see in what way a Steambox would appeal to a current console gamer anyway.
Valve are not making the hardware themselves, they are more savvy than that. They are going to provide the OS and let others take the financial risk of manufacturing the Steambox.

Some developers went under due to piracy.
A lot went under when the market for games inbetween Indie and AAA disappeared.
Others just changed to making games for a different platform, the same as happened in the 90s when a lot of developers ditched the 16 bit computers and moved over to consoles.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:51 pm

THIS :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:27 pm

PostieDoc wrote: Some developers went under due to piracy.
A lot went under when the market for games inbetween Indie and AAA disappeared.
Others just changed to making games for a different platform, the same as happened in the 90s when a lot of developers ditched the 16 bit computers and moved over to consoles.
Actually most devs went out of business when the big publishers (i.e. EA, Ubi, Acti, MS, Sony, ect.) formed a sort of oligopoly and focused just on the type of games that were bringing them big income (i.e. CoD, FIFA, NFS, Ass.Creed, Halo, ect.) and decided to kill-off their less profitable franchises and close down or restructure the studios that were making them. It's many of these same devs that now found a new "home" in the independant production/crowd sourcing branches, with more "refugees" to follow suit. The rising expenses of "AAA" development and dis-interest of the main stream audience in non heavily advertised and generic games may also be attributed to the situation.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:44 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Just on a side note, you do realise that a Steambox is likely to cause even more of the problems you are blaming on consoles don't you.

Valve are aiming for three levels of specifications last time I heard of good, better and best. It will be up to the individual manufacturer of how they best implement that. Anyway, I thought that software was clever enough to detect the kind of chipset in a PC and apply the appropriate level of graphics accordingly these days. Not really a big issue as far as I can see.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:46 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
I don't see in what way a Steambox would appeal to a current console gamer anyway.
it appeals to me for one. Getting the best of both worlds is how I see it.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Nemesis wrote:

Valve are aiming for three levels of specifications last time I heard of good, better and best. It will be up to the individual manufacturer of how they best implement that. Anyway, I thought that software was clever enough to detect the kind of chipset in a PC and apply the appropriate level of graphics accordingly these days. Not really a big issue as far as I can see.
Not so much an issue to start with, but as Normal PC components become better, the Steambox will slowly fall behind. Now what do developers do then.

It will be exactly the same issue PC gamers are complaining about now. Do they limit the game so it can run on anything, or do they use full advantage of the current PC hardware leaving the Steam box unable to run it.

Considering the current Steambox specs being passed around are less than the PS4 and Xbox one, its a worse version of the problem PC gamers claim already exist games being toned down to run on consoles.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:14 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Considering the current Steambox specs being passed around are less than the PS4 and Xbox one, its a worse version of the problem PC gamers claim already exist games being toned down to run on consoles.
:shock: well, I've never heard that one before. The base machines would be comparable to the xb1 and ps4 in terms of processing grunt but the majority would be more capable but would come with an additional cost over the price of Sony and Microsoft's machines. That was always highlighted from the start.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 pm

As for good, better, best, thats defeats the whole reason for creating an all in one solution to begin with. at some point the least specced of the 3 will stop getting games as developers decide to make the most of the more powerful option.

Its not something I have much confidence in. It reminds me of the 3DO where you had different manafacturers. The biggest killer for the 3DO was the fact that the companies producing the console had to make profit on hardware sold ( unlike Nintendo, Sony, etc they can't cut prices and use itas a loss leader and make it up in software sales ) companies like alienware need to make the machine sell at a profit, meaning high price points and unable to sell cheaper.

I think its a niche market, serious PC gamers will lose interest as soon as they realise they can't upgrade it to be top of the line all the time. As soon as they realise its falling being current PC tech they will abandon it.

Console gamers have an attachment to certain consoles because of franchises and are probably unlikely to give up playstations and xboxes to go with a steam box.

It sits in the middle ground, you call it the best of both worlds, I call it a shittier version of both. a unperpowered PC unable to run games at the max, and a console without the exclusives that make people choose one.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Nemesis wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
:shock: well, I've never heard that one before. The base machines would be comparable to the xb1 and ps4 in terms of processing grunt but the majority would be more capable but would come with an additional cost over the price of Sony and Microsoft's machines. That was always highlighted from the start.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... uirements/

read the top bit, even at $550 alienware would be putting out a machine struggling to play some Xboxone and PS4 games.

They can't make the savings on parts Sony and Xbox one can. they don't have software support and online subscription models to take up the slack. they have to sell the machine at a profit. Like I said the original big problem with the 3DO.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 pm

I think any Steambox would have to be modular, to an extent at least.
PC is forever evolving and I wouldn't be happy to splash out on a mid spec Steambox only for it to turn in to a low spec Steambox two years down the line because I can't upgrade the graphics card.

I still don't see it as a serious rival for established consoles.
If a console gamer really wants to get into PC gaming then it would make more sense to buy a small-form PC that you can upgrade the parts on whenever you want.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

The specs on Xbox one and PS4 are causing problems for PCs. in terms of video ram and quadcore processors.

The $550 alienware was a dual-core and struggles. They did a test run last year and ut parts together to see how a steam box would run. as of now its woefully out of date and can't run things like farcry 4. to release a box with quad-core and at least 4 gig of video ram ( PS4 and Xboxone have 8 but the problem is the fact that its shared and can be used for everything ) will cost nearly $900.

Its the way the PC uses ram, most cards have 2gig of video ram for a pc, which is no good at all now. To match the consoles you are going to need a video card with at least 4. which is currently too expensive.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:30 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I think any Steambox would have to be modular, to an extent at least.
PC is forever evolving and I wouldn't be happy to splash out on a mid spec Steambox only for it to turn in to a low spec Steambox two years down the line because I can't upgrade the graphics card.

I still don't see it as a serious rival for established consoles.
If a console gamer really wants to get into PC gaming then it would make more sense to buy a small-form PC that you can upgrade the parts on whenever you want.
Thats the problem though, if it needs upgrading then why bother in the first place, the whole point was an all in one sysytem. Soon as you start having different spec levels and certain games unable to run on certain machines you lose the whole original concept.