Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 pm

The big question though is this: Why did I move to Windows 7 and find that Space Pinball is no longer in the games section? Absolutely disgusting. No wonder I don't 'do' PC gaming.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:19 pm

gman72, I hope you realize that the "PC master race" thing was just a joke by Zero Punctation... :wink:

As for the "PC elitism", in my view it's a direct response to many formerly PC-centric publishers and developers making former PC franchises (e.g. The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Battlefield, Thief, Crysis, ect.) more catered to a larger (read: console) audience which is, of course, not greeted warmly by the original fans of these franchises. Is it elitism? Well, I guess it kinda is, but most of us long-time PC gamers tend to agree that these franchises were better when consoles were not yet part of the equation and at best got PC ports at a later time. :wink:

It doesn't really matter that much to me though, as there will always be games catered to a PC audience, be them independant and/or crowd-funded games or not.

edit: oh and also, I have no intentions of de-railing threads. Usually, it's someone else who starts to discuss PC gaming and related things and I just "join in the fun"... :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:30 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:gman72, I hope you realize that the "PC master race" thing was just a joke by Zero Punctation... :wink:

As for the "PC elitism", in my view it's a direct response to many formerly PC-centric publishers and developers making former PC franchises (e.g. The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Battlefield, Thief, Crysis, ect.) more catered to a larger (read: console) audience which is, of course, not greeted warmly by the original fans of these franchises. Is it elitism? Well, I guess it kinda is, but most of us long-time PC gamers tend to agree that these franchises were better when consoles were not yet part of the equation and at best got PC ports at a later time. :wink:

It doesn't really matter that much to me though, as there will always be games catered to a PC audience, be them independant and/or crowd-funded games or not.

edit: oh and also, I have no intentions of de-railing threads. Usually, it's someone else who starts to discuss PC gaming and related things and I just "join in the fun"... :wink:

Don't know why, seeing as how some of the best games in the series came once they were also aimed at console as well. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim.

So can't really see the argument that moving franchises to console as well has hurt them, if anything its created more revenue that they can put towards developing further games.

Fallout 3 for example had the 360 as a lead platform, so if anything its nice that we let you guys have a version of this great console game.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:43 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:gman72, I hope you realize that the "PC master race" thing was just a joke by Zero Punctation... :wink:

Awwww, innocent little outdated gamer. Misunderstood, misquoted and just joking, huh?
You are saying that you make your elitist posts in reponse to former PC titles being released on consoles? That does nothing but re-enforce the stereotype you already so lovingly bolster. As for your joking, even if i believed you it wasn't funny after the first post let alone the 1001st.
That said... it's a new year so let's all have a new start. OK?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Don't know why, seeing as how some of the best games in the series came once they were also aimed at console as well. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim.

So can't really see the argument that moving franchises to console as well has hurt them, if anything its created more revenue that they can put towards developing further games.

Fallout 3 for example had the 360 as a lead platform, so if anything its nice that we let you guys have a version of this great console game.
Well, that's purely a matter of opinion, isn't it? :wink:

I know very well why these franchises were expanded to more platforms and I also don't blame the publishers directly, it's business after all, but that doesn't mean that all of us need to be accepting of it. Some just want something "more" and/or "better" and look elsewhere to get their "fix". :wink:

Like I said, the crowd-funding has provided a nice altentative to the "mainstream" gaming of today, in that it caters directly to the "core" fan base and also gives developers more creative freedom than they would have under a big publisher with deadlines and all of that.

The fruits of such fan/developer collaboration are already starting to show up (e.g. the very good and expansive Elite: Dangerous, for many the best cRPG of the year Divinity: Original Sin, the forthcomming and hugely ambitious Star Citizen, ect.) and it can only get better in the future.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:50 pm

gman72 wrote: Awwww, innocent little outdated gamer. Misunderstood, misquoted and just joking, huh?
You are saying that you make your elitist posts in reponse to former PC titles being released on consoles? That does nothing but re-enforce the stereotype you already so lovingly bolster. As for your joking, even if i believed you it wasn't funny after the first post let alone the 1001st.
That said... it's a new year so let's all have a new start. OK?
You seem to be a bit obsessed with me man, constantly referring to me on this forum... :wink:

I'm here just to discuss games of the past and have some fun reading people's opinions and whatnot. Please don't take things too literally, it's not like some sort of "gaming war" is going on in this forum or anything. :wink:

p.s.: funny how we seem to respect each others opinions when discussing games and systems of old but whenever debate is about modern gaming, all hell seems to break loose... :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:59 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
You seem to be a bit obsessed with me man, constantly referring to me on this forum... :wink:
like you don't love it you scandinavian goose :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:59 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

I know very well why these franchises were expanded to more platforms and I also don't blame the publishers directly, it's business after all, but that doesn't mean that all of us need to be accepting of it. Some just want something "more" and/or "better" and look elsewhere to get their "fix". :wink:

Like I said, the crowd-funding has provided a nice altentative to the "mainstream" gaming of today, in that it caters directly to the "core" fan base and also gives developers more creative freedom than they would have under a big publisher with deadlines and all of that.

The fruits of such fan/developer collaboration are already starting to show up (e.g. the very good and expansive Elite: Dangerous, for many the best cRPG of the year Divinity: Original Sin, the forthcomming and hugely ambitious Star Citizen, ect.) and it can only get better in the future.

Thing is that just releasing a game that can only run on high end PCs are cost prohibitive. you need to fund it from somewhere because the market just is not there to make your money back. Let me guess, Do any of those games need Kickstarter to get off the ground.

The simple fact is that consoles do not hold PCs back, it is as simple as that.

I was reading that Alienwares alpha steam box has already been outperformed by Xbox one and PS4 andthat was touted at $550.

Not to mention that there has been a lot of talk in the PC community that with the new consoles it has meant that a mid range PCs specs have now jumped to accomodate the increase in power the new games require. Basically the new consoles have caused the cost of PC gaming to the average gamer to hike up in cost as the old mid range level are now no longer good enough to run games.

interesting article

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... uirements/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Plus, I love how PC gamers go on about how powerfull the PC is and how consoles are holding them back.

Guess what, if PC owners weren't a huge bunch of pirates in the first place they may still have those developers making the most of PCs. Fact is they chased developers away from PCs by pirating every game.

Going to consoles saved a lot of developers, and PC owners are in no position to start crying about things now.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

Thing is that just releasing a game that can only run on high end PCs are cost prohibitive. you need to fund it from somewhere because the market just is not there to make your money back. Let me guess, Do any of those games need Kickstarter to get off the ground.

The simple fact is that consoles do not hold PCs back, it is as simple as that.

I was reading that Alienwares alpha steam box has already been outperformed by Xbox one and PS4 andthat was touted at $550.

Not to mention that there has been a lot of talk in the PC community that with the new consoles it has meant that a mid range PCs specs have now jumped to accomodate the increase in power the new games require. Basically the new consoles have caused the cost of PC gaming to the average gamer to hike up in cost as the old mid range level are now no longer good enough to run games.

interesting article

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... uirements/
Well, Star Citizen being "the most crowd funded thing ever" does show that there is a market for games aimed at high-end PCs of today. :wink:

Think of it this way, owning a high-end PC these days is similar to owning a top Arcade board back in the 80s or early 90s. Would you be pleased with SNES and MD level ports of games on this platform of yours? :wink:

I get completely why most publishers and devs choose to cater to a larger audience, but I don't agree there is no market for games aimed at high-end hardware, like the above example demonstrates. Also, PC gaming is not only about pushing hardware muscle, it's also about game design and whatnot. For many indie games, you don't even need a powerful system but who can deny that point-and-click adventures don't work the best on PC? Even if it's mostly due to control style/input device rather than anything else.

I don't want to say that console owners or low-end PC owners should not be able to join in the fun and if it's possible to deliver the games to them they should do it, but they should also not compromise the high-end PC versions because of it. And I think this is largly the "dispute" that is going on and the accusations of the so-called "elitism". :wink:

But like I'm saying, it's not only about the visuals. There are many other factors too, like control schemes, game design, complexity and so on. Some types of games are just better suited to some platforms than other.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:23 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Plus, I love how PC gamers go on about how powerfull the PC is and how consoles are holding them back.

Guess what, if PC owners weren't a huge bunch of pirates in the first place they may still have those developers making the most of PCs. Fact is they chased developers away from PCs by pirating every game.

Going to consoles saved a lot of developers, and PC owners are in no position to start crying about things now.
So yeah, have it outdated gamer!

:wink:

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

^ With how cheap Steam games tend to be, there is no need for piracy on the PC anymore anyway... :P

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:30 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:^ With how cheap Steam games tend to be, there is no need for piracy on the PC anymore anyway... :P
Well hey, guess that makes everything ok then. All those developers that went belly up will be glad to hear that.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:33 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:^ With how cheap Steam games tend to be, there is no need for piracy on the PC anymore anyway... :P
Well hey, guess that makes everything ok then. All those developers that went belly up will be glad to hear that.
Now now, we all know that was because they started to cater to console gamers who decided to ignore their games... :mrgreen:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah yeah, yawn yawn, yadda yadda yadda. Some dweeb thinks RG is to blame for PC gaming being less nerdwank than it used to be or something. SO WHAT? :roll:

Back on planet Gamer there's mad predictions to be had by the bucketload! Let's have some before I fall asleep face down in me bag of Quavers at the serious PC dullness currently doing the rounds in here.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.