Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: the pc will continue to be sh1t
To those who don't have a half way decent one, yes... :wink: :P
I would hate to game primarily on a platform where not everone is equal. either the top end gamers get gimped games so that they are playable on earlier PCS, or games are catered to high end users and the average person can hardly run the game.

Oh if only there was a platform available where everyone knew they could be guarenteed to play the game the same as everyone else, free from worries about mnimum specs, and safe in the knowledge the games are on a stable platform allowing us to just pay once for the machine and have a nice sustained period of gaming without having to worry and simply enjoy better and better games as developers learn new tricks to get the most out if it because they know they can invest time in it because its a stable platform with stable specs for a number of years :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:25 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: I would hate to game primarily on a platform where not everone is equal.
Not equal, sure. Here's a shot how Quake on pro level play looks like:

As you can see, there are no textures, fancy effects or anything like that. Infact those are seen as "unnecessary clutter". :wink:

It's a purely skill-oriented game, and this holds true to many other highly competitive games on the system.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:33 pm

But quake is crap.

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Of course it's crap when you're trying to play it with a gamepad and it's stiff analogue stick where movement reminds more on a tank turning... :P

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm

-At least 10 new FPS will be released
-Call of Duty's next gimmick will be Skylanders like figurines of guns and other weapons
-The 3rd teaser for SW Battlefront will premiere at E3, with the 4th dated for 2016
-DS games are added to the Wii U Virtual Console, and that's about it.
-New 3DS models come out, but continue to be outsold by the Frozen DS game
-A "New 2DS" is revealed
-Some other new annual entry in the Pokemon series. I dunno, X2Y2, Z, SUPER Emerald, XZYZ, pick one...
-Nintendo confirm the Wii U's successor will be revealed at E3 2016
-And a dream one to cap it off. New F Zero with HD Graphics, mass online, create tracks using the gamepad, DLC that adds Mario, Link, Animal Crossing and others as playable racers, etc.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Ugh, this thread depresses me.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:11 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: the pc will continue to be sh1t
To those who don't have a half way decent one, yes... :wink: :P
And to those who dont know where to look for the games, for that matter.

That being said, a super gaming hyper rig just isnt really very necessary for PC gaming these days. I remember a time when it WAS necessary... but that was a long while ago. I rarely touch big-budget titles myself, but most of my friends do, and insist on the futile activity of trying to get me to give a damn (I laugh at their failure!), so I see them played on machines that are pretty weak (around the same cost as a PS4, those machines). Generally, they look fine.
ALK wrote:-At least 10 new FPS will be released
-Call of Duty's next gimmick will be Skylanders like figurines of guns and other weapons
Ugh. Wish both of these trends would go away. I dont buy games much at physical stores anymore (partly because most of those stores have gotten downright crappy or just super-annoying), but on the rare occaision I do, it's hard to find stuff among the bazillions of Skylanders figures that take up 5 walls of a room that has 4 walls. That doesnt make sense, but they manage it anyway.

....though it WOULD be absolutely hilarious if the people that put out CoD tried to cash in on that idea. Perhaps this should happen after all.
outdated_gamer wrote: - Peter Molyneux will announce a proper spiritual successor to Black & White. It will be exclusive to PC platform, with possible console versions following afterwards.
Dont forget the bit about announcements of lofty ideas that he says *will* be in said game yet either arent, or are extremely underwhelming once it comes out.

And I keep wondering about all this talk of Nintendo putting out another console much too soon... is this something that's confirmed at this point? Or just a pile of rumors?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:01 am

outdated_gamer wrote: - Valve will reveal the officially backed Steam Box and crush the PS4 and Xbone with it. Half-Life 3 will be Steam exclusive.

P
Gabe has already said that HL3 won't be a Steam exclusive and Valve won't publish any Steam exclusive games.

My predictions;

pS4/xB1 will consolidate their position in 2015

Nintendo's Wii U will continue to be an irrelevance in the UK but the redesigned 3DS will sell well.

Alienware will release a Steam machine at £349 to compete directly with Sony/Microsoft but because of a later release date will have a bit more processing grunt than either the PS4 and XB1.

More SF5 reveals, Karin and Eagle are shown.
KOF 14 also demonstrated with larger roster than previous game.
Rare release significant XB1 game that has nothing to do with Kinnect.
PSN continues to get hacked but Microsoft continues to improve its OS on XB1.
pC's remain relevant as they always have done thus far.
Nemesis faces a tricky choice of PS4/XB1/Steam Machine and bank balance is reduced accordingly.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:01 am

ESO on the XO. Well it bloody better be.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:23 am

Skate 4 will hopefully appear.
Thoughts and prayers.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:40 am

Did someone just predict a cheap Alienware machine? :o

Another thread being derailed into PC vs Console.
How tiresome.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:18 am

Forum Predictions
-People will continue to champion PC's
-Others will continue to fight back.
-At least one (maybe more) threads will de-rail into a needless PC vs Console battleground with users lowering themselves to insults, leading to a locked thread and maybe some ban-hammering, users taking a break from the forum.

Proper Predictions
-PS4/XBO will continue to sell steadily and be classed a success without actually becoming icons like the PS2 and 360 did.

-Wii-U will just about tick along with a new console announcement emerging sometime between summer and winter.

-The Vita will be largely forgotten and left to die-hard fans discussing the latest indie downloads or import titles.

-Street Fighter V will properly enter the information drip-feed process. Some sort of online poll will take place where fans tell Capcom which characters they want in the most (completely irrelavant in the future when everyone ever will be included in the 'Ultra Turbo' edition).

-Tekken X Street Fighter will finally break cover.

Can't really think of much else as I genuinely believe this gen will be pretty similar to the last.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:19 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Did someone just predict a cheap Alienware machine? :o

Another thread being derailed into PC vs Console.
How tiresome.
I presume that was aimed at me considering I mentioned Alienware?

Just to be clear, I wasn't making a PC vs Console comment as I have no interest in agruing in the merits between each format as I like them both. I read on a tech site a few months ago that Alienware were building a competitively priced Steam machine to challenge the price of the established consoles. Plus, as it will be released over a year after Sony's/Microsofts machines, then I theorized it might have slightly more capable components.

Plus, the fact these Steam machines will be consoles & not PC's either.

I said PC gaming would be still relevant because, well, it has been so far so why not this year as well?

Anyhoo, no agenda from me on this one.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

The PC vs Console thing wasn't aimed at you Nemesis.
It is Outdated Gamer who keeps derailing threads with his PC Master Race rubbish.

I was a little surprised by your cheap Alienware Steambox thingy prediction though, given their reputation for being amongst the most expensive PC makers.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:42 pm

ALK wrote:-At least 10 new FPS will be released
Ugh. Wish both of these trends would go away. I dont buy games much at physical stores anymore (partly because most of those stores have gotten downright crappy or just super-annoying), but on the rare occaision I do, it's hard to find stuff among the bazillions of Skylanders figures that take up 5 walls of a room that has 4 walls. That doesnt make sense, but they manage it anyway.

....though it WOULD be absolutely hilarious if the people that put out CoD tried to cash in on that idea. Perhaps this should happen after all.
The same here for COD at least. I don't think figurines will go away just yet, but I view them like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band trend, it'll be a fad that'll go away once they stop making money off of them. Disney will no doubt cash in on Star Wars for their figures this year (Blowing up Tie Fighters as Ironman while flying on Dumbo is too hard to resist...), Nintendo plans for every Smash Bros fighter to have a figurine, so there'll be that plus I'm sure they will announce a new line based on another franchise like the new Zelda Wii U, and Skylanders will find some other gimmick.

As for the COD Figures idea, it came to me when I saw you could climb up walls like Spiderman, which is another series Activision makes, in the new COD so hell, it would not surprise me if they take other ideas from their best sellers like I dunno, ride a skateboard like Tony Hawk while shooting guys at the same time or whatever....

Be interesting to see Activision try and explain the COD Figures are "Grown Up Toys" when parents complain of their children buying them.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.