Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PostieDoc

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:31 pm

You haven't answered anything so how does this fit in with your theory.

The Amiga was pretty much destroyed by its rampant piracy, devs abandoned it in droves to systems where it was harder to pirate software because it was becoming impossible to make a profit on the computer.

The PC was on its knees between 2006 - 2010, again largely down to rampant piracy. The clever people at Valve helped to pull it back from oblivion (gaming wise) but it looked bleak for a while there.
Pirates are thieves, I am not taking the moral high ground, just stating a fact.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Looks like telling the truth can still offend someone... :wink:

I didn't think this thread would sink that low that insults would start to be thrown around though. But whatever, I'm out of this fruitless, one-sided "discussion". Enjoy your gaming predictions. :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:34 pm

good grief!

how many pages without a gaming prediction?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Looks like telling the truth can still offend someone... :wink:

I didn't think this thread would sink that low that insults would start to be thrown around though. But whatever, I'm out of this fruitless, one-sided "discussion". Enjoy your gaming predictions. :wink:
I believe you started calling people hypocrites first and still have not backed up your original assumption that piracy stimulates game sales.

instead you are running away.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Well the thread had turned into an interesting debate about the merits of the Steambox, but you have destroyed that with your trolling.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:good grief!

I predict that people will pirate games in 2015 but it's ok as it drives software sales apparently.

Also there will be a sequel to the excellent Jazzpunk (I hope).

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm

How about this then, Outdated Gamer will continue to be ignoarant and woefully uninformed about gaming in 2015 as he has been in every previous year.

Nice to have a prediction with a likey 100% chance of coming true and one that we can all agree on.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:40 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:piracy actually stimulates hardware and even software sales. And the same goes for consoles too, no matter what the hypocrites want to tell you about how damaging it is for the industry. :wink:
for goodness sake :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

How about this then, Outdated Gamer will continue to be ignoarant and woefully uninformed about gaming in 2015 as he has been in every previous year.

Nice to have a prediction with a likey 100% chance of coming true and one that we can all agree on.
You can be sure about that since I'm ignorant on purpose about the majority of happenings in modern gaming. :wink:

I joined this forum to discuss retro gaming in the first place. Maybe I will just stay out of threads dealing with modern gaming in the future, also to avoid sparking any un-wanted conflics with the, apparently overtly sensitive and defensive, posters on here... :wink:

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm

If you actually had any valid arguments to back yourself with it wouldn't be so bad.
Instead you state your (to me) ludicrous opinions as fact, ignore any questions regarding them and then dismiss anyone who disagrees with you (which is everyone) as over-sensitive and hypocrites.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Maybe I will just stay out of threads dealing with modern gaming in the future
:D One of your more sensible statements.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:47 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
edit: looks like the forum doesn't allow me (?) to post the rest of my post so here's just a little thing I wanted to say regarding piracy on the PC - it actually stimulates hardware and even software sales. And the same goes for consoles too, no matter what the hypocrites want to tell you about how damaging it is for the industry. :wink:
It might stimulate hardware sales for a while but at some stage a tipping point is reached where piracy is so rife that publishers generate dwindling revenue from their games as a result and leave the format. It happened to my favourite handheld console, the Nintendo DS much to my disappointmemt. Piracy also hurt the most popular 8bit computers and the evergreen Amiga too before the rise of IBM PC's and consoles became prominent.

I'm not sure how much piracy there is on the PC but clearly it hasn't reached that tipping point as to cause the format to slowly die a painful death.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:55 pm

I wouldn't condone piracy, but I'd think that it's effects are rather overstated. You can certainly make the back of the envelope calculation that a game could have sold many more units if everyone who pirated it had bought it instead, and made the difference between a profit and a loss for the publisher, but how realistic is that? More likely, the pirates wouldn't have the money to buy any more than a tiny fraction of the games they rip off, and if piracy was simply impossible they might well just spend it on something else and play free games.

So, whenever some developer tells you that they went under because of piracy, they're taking the easy way out and blaming a scapegoat and telling everyone to look away from the people making a bucket-full in spite of it. There's more money in PC game development these days than there ever has been, but there's no sure fire recipe for making a hit game and publishers will only give you so many chances.

As for consoles, a couple that were pretty much hacked from day one and went on to sell over a hundred million are the PlayStation and the DS. They both racked up very healthy software sales too, and the only thing that killed them was their eventual obsolescence.

Anyway, predictions... Next to nobody will pirate Wii U games, but developers will still avoid it like the plague.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Matt_B wrote:I wouldn't condone piracy, but I'd think that it's effects are rather overstated. You can certainly make the back of the envelope calculation that a game could have sold many more units if everyone who pirated it had bought it instead, and made the difference between a profit and a loss for the publisher, but how realistic is that? More likely, the pirates wouldn't have the money to buy any more than a tiny fraction of the games they rip off, and if piracy was simply impossible they might well just spend it on something else and play free games.

So, whenever some developer tells you that they went under because of piracy, they're taking the easy way out and blaming a scapegoat and telling everyone to look away from the people making a bucket-full in spite of it. There's more money in PC game development these days than there ever has been, but there's no sure fire recipe for making a hit game and publishers will only give you so many chances.

As for consoles, a couple that were pretty much hacked from day one and went on to sell over a hundred million are the PlayStation and the DS. They both racked up very healthy software sales too, and the only thing that killed them was their eventual obsolescence.

Anyway, predictions... Next to nobody will pirate Wii U games, but developers will still avoid it like the plague.
While I can agree that the cost to developers of piracy are a little overstated ( not every pirated game equals a lost sale for example )

However to go flying off in the complete opposite direction and come up with an argument that piracy helps software sales is a statement that is complete idiocy of the highest order.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:16 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:While I can agree that the cost to developers of piracy are a little overstated ( not every pirated game equals a lost sale for example )

However to go flying off in the complete opposite direction and come up with an argument that piracy helps software sales is a statement that is complete idiocy of the highest order.
It might sound ludicrous but people have done research that suggests that piracy boosts music sales:

https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-pir ... ds-120517/

Video games are, obviously, something of a different animal but I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't something similar going on.