Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nemesis

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:33 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Considering the current Steambox specs being passed around are less than the PS4 and Xbox one, its a worse version of the problem PC gamers claim already exist games being toned down to run on consoles.
:shock: well, I've never heard that one before. The base machines would be comparable to the xb1 and ps4 in terms of processing grunt but the majority would be more capable but would come with an additional cost over the price of Sony and Microsoft's machines. That was always highlighted from the start.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... uirements/

read the top bit, even at $550 alienware would be putting out a machine struggling to play some Xboxone and PS4 games.

They can't make the savings on parts Sony and Xbox one can. they don't have software support and online subscription models to take up the slack. they have to sell the machine at a profit. Like I said the original big problem with the 3DO.
Yeah but that's not a real Steam machine as it does not run on the Steam OS. sM's aren't being shown until the GDC and not even at this years CES show. That Alienware machine is just a consolised PC in its literal sense.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Oh, I understand that, but it does highlight some issues that may be a problem.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:I think any Steambox would have to be modular, to an extent at least.
PC is forever evolving and I wouldn't be happy to splash out on a mid spec Steambox only for it to turn in to a low spec Steambox two years down the line because I can't upgrade the graphics card.

I still don't see it as a serious rival for established consoles.
If a console gamer really wants to get into PC gaming then it would make more sense to buy a small-form PC that you can upgrade the parts on whenever you want.
Thats the problem though, if it needs upgrading then why bother in the first place, the whole point was an all in one sysytem. Soon as you start having different spec levels and certain games unable to run on certain machines you lose the whole original concept.
Agreed, that is why I have said earlier that I don't see the Steambox appealing to console owners.

It is a vehicle for Valves Linux OS as they want to rival Microsofts monoply with Windows and guard against them trying to turn PC into a closed system.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Oh, I understand that, but it does highlight some issues that may be a problem.
The difference between the 3DO & the Steam Machines is that the SM's are just a conduit for an already successful gaming service. The 3DO on the other hand was just another format that needed to establish itself amongst other bigger fish at the time. The games will already be there from the outset on Steam whereas the 3DO's library needed to be built up, by which time Sony and its all conquering Playstation appeared on the scene.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Thats just it, Valve are not stupid. They want a platform to run their own OS but the risk is too great. So they are getting other hardware companies to come in adt take the financial risks.

One thing I would have to ask as well is that if its a brand new OS are the games going to require programming to run on that system. If that is the case are companies going to bother.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Nemesis wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Oh, I understand that, but it does highlight some issues that may be a problem.
The difference between the 3DO & the Steam Machines is that the SM's are just a conduit for an already successful gaming service. The 3DO on the other hand was just another format that needed to establish itself amongst other bigger fish at the time. The games will already be there from the outset on Steam whereas the 3DO's library needed to be built up, by which time Sony and its all conquering Playstation appeared on the scene.
Regarding the 3DO, I was more looking back at the inabilty to give the hardware a price drop to compete because the companies making it were having to make a profit on hardware.

The 3DO was begging for a price drop but the companies just could not do it as they had no software sales to offset the loss.

Plus the library will not be there, the games will have to be rewritten to run on the new OS.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Thats just it, Valve are not stupid. They want a platform to run their own OS but the risk is too great. So they are getting other hardware companies to come in adt take the financial risks.

One thing I would have to ask as well is that if its a brand new OS are the games going to require programming to run on that system. If that is the case are companies going to bother.
Well Linux already exists and Valve have been encouraging developers to port their games onto Linux as well.
The Steam OS will just be a more user friendly version.
So there will be a decent library of games available but it is just a fraction of what can currently be played on Windows.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:02 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:The specs on Xbox one and PS4 are causing problems for PCs. in terms of video ram and quadcore processors.
I'm pretty sure even a mid-range quad core desktop CPU outperforms the laptop-level CPUs inside the Bone and PS4. :wink:

Also PCs have something called system RAM, no need to squeeze everything in video RAM like on the new consoles. More than 4 GB of V-RAM is overkill for PC gaming unless you're gaming in some very high resolutions (like 4K, multi displays and such) which would make use of it.

Bone and PS4 are firmly in the low (CPU) to mid-range (GPU) desktop PC range. The only kinda impressive thing is the 8 GB V/system RAM but even that is limited to about 5 GB or so for games and the rest is for the OS and background tasks.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Thats just it, Valve are not stupid. They want a platform to run their own OS but the risk is too great. So they are getting other hardware companies to come in adt take the financial risks.

Well Linux already exists and Valve have been encouraging developers to port their games onto Linux as well.
The Steam OS will just be a more user friendly version.
So there will be a decent library of games available but it is just a fraction of what can currently be played on Windows.
So there we go, now companies have to rewrite the games.

Lets not forget that some games are slow to come to steam, or don't come at all, or in some cases dissappear for a while.

This is on current PC's, how far up in the priority list will be linux steambox versions of games, thats if the developer wants to bother in the first place.

Microsoft have bought up minecraft and will buy up other big franchises, Plus what about titles like Battlefield from EA, they already want to run their own digital service.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 pm

The thing is, even as a staunch console gamer. If I had to give up consoles and was given the choice, I would avoid the Steambox like the plague and start building my own PC in a heartbeat.

Thats coming from an already established console gamer, I have no idea why people who already have a Gaming Pc would even entertain a Steambox. If I was to get into PC type games I would go with an actual PC.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Anyway I don't mean to spoil things for anyone. If anyone is excited for the Steambox I really hope it works out. All the negative things about the machine are just my own concerns and I am not implying in any way anyone should not be excited for it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:01 pm

I was just gonna install SteamOS on my laptop. I do like steam big picture mode. I already plug it into the telly every now and again for emulating, I've got a gamereciever and xbox pad. I doubt I'll ever buy any official Steambox.
Scott me up beamie!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:47 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:The thing is, even as a staunch console gamer. If I had to give up consoles and was given the choice, I would avoid the Steambox like the plague and start building my own PC in a heartbeat.

Thats coming from an already established console gamer, I have no idea why people who already have a Gaming Pc would even entertain a Steambox. If I was to get into PC type games I would go with an actual PC.
You could build your own desktop easily enough, but would you build yourself a gaming-capable HTPC? That's basically what the Steam Machine is going to be, and you'd have to do a fair bit of research to come up with components you could cram into a slimline case, not make too much noise and heat, and still be capable of playing the latest games let alone assemble the thing. I think they've been quite careful in selecting the market they're pitching these things to and it's one where off-the-shelf hardware to do the job doesn't exist yet. Or at least it didn't until the Alienware Alpha.

I'd still see SteamOS as a bit of a work in progress though. Sure, it's got a comparable number of games to most current generation consoles now, and you can also stream Windows games if you've got a desktop in the same house to run them on, but It's hard to see how gamers wouldn't just view it as a glass half empty. Most likely they'd end up putting Windows on it.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 am

That was always their plan though and they haven't tried to disguise that. I'm not sure what the financial margins are for the companies making SM's but you'd hope that it would be sustainable for the most successful manufacturers.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:47 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway I don't mean to spoil things for anyone. If anyone is excited for the Steambox I really hope it works out. All the negative things about the machine are just my own concerns and I am not implying in any way anyone should not be excited for it.
Mate, you don't have to apologise. We are all crystal balling at the moment so who knows how it will turn out. The reason I'm excited is because it's another credible competitor in the console realm. I think that every now and then the established order needs a kick up the arse, much like when Sonys Playstation burst onto the scene. it's a good thing and challenges the established order to up their game or sink, which is great for the consumer.