Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Misery

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:56 pm

The Beans wrote:How totally unsurprising that in addition to being a PC Master Race giraffe outdated gamer also turns out to be a pro-piracy sunflower. :roll:

And yes MPM, I'll enjoy the packet of polo's.

And how totally unsurprising that you still get your jollies out of insulting others, Beans. Cant you act like a mature adult for at least the minute or two that it takes to make a post?

And I only even see that post by seeing it quoted by someone agreeing with it, which somehow makes it worse....

Seriously people, this kind of crap shouldnt happen on this forum. One of the reasons I even come here at all is because, MOST of the time, it's a mature place that tends to AVOID the idiotic, braindead flaming. And now I'm reading through this topic more and seeing crap like that junk I'm quoting above. Seen some of this somewhat recently in other spots on this site as well, from various people. That "mature adults" comment I just made can really be directed towards everyone that's pulling that kind of crap at all on here.

Something I keep saying on here is: If you have a problem with someone, to the point where you think it's enough to start insulting them, USE THE DAMN BLOCK BUTTON. Or "add foe" or whatever the damn function is called. Do that INSTEAD of chucking insults back and forth. I dont care who the target is or what you think they did to deserve it. Seriously, it gets old fast.

I'd REALLY like to not see THIS forum putting out the same sorts of flamewar crap as on so very, very many other gaming sites.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:43 am

It's very difficult not to get angry and respond to people saying that piracy is good for the industry. It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever read and its source, those defending the source and those sticking up for them do not surprise me one, little bit.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:36 am

gman72 wrote:It's very difficult not to get angry and respond to people saying that piracy is good for the industry. It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever read and its source, those defending the source and those sticking up for them do not surprise me one, little bit.
You may not like certain people's views but you can still respond in a logical and well mannered way without resorting to insults and name calling.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:53 am

I'm loving the faux outrage here. It's not like anyone's been condoning piracy, quite the opposite as everyone seems to agree that it's morally wrong. If that's an issue close to your heart, your time would probably be better spent trolling the many threads about emulation.

This is entirely about the, not even the least bit radical idea, that piracy is not the existential threat to the PC games industry that they seem to want us to think it is. Seeing as not one person had been able to put forward any objective data on either side of the argument, I don't think there's any point in getting all righteous about it.

Anyway, this seems to be the the most comprehensive study on the subject I've found:

http://www.mit.edu/~ke23793/papers/Drah ... erID16.pdf

Unsurprisingly, they conclude that most piracy is of a relatively small number of hot games at any particular time and industry figures are vastly overinflated. They don't even attempt to translate the numbers into lost sales, saying more research is needed in that area.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:43 am

Nemesis wrote:
gman72 wrote:It's very difficult not to get angry and respond to people saying that piracy is good for the industry. It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever read and its source, those defending the source and those sticking up for them do not surprise me one, little bit.
You may not like certain people's views but you can still respond in a logical and well mannered way without resorting to insults and name calling.
I havent.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 am

I think the games industry is always going to suffer heavier financial loses when something has been pirated big time. It's hard to compare games to music and film in regards piracy as it effects each medium to a different extent. All be it they all lose money still.

First the price point is more expensive. So unlike a much cheaper CD where someone might decide to buy it later as an impulse buy. You're average pirate is not going to suddenly pop an average of say £30+ down for a game they already downloaded and able to play.

When compared to say a massive film franchise where they have toys, bed sheets, stickers, books, wallpaper, branded food, furniture and the endless list of other things that are making money for that brand. 90% of games don't have that luxury of being that big a name to be able to sell all that stuff in tandem with the game to make lots more money for the pot. For example take Frozen for biggest grossing film ever, but still the film was pirated off torrent sites alone about 30 million times (second highest pirated of the year). That is a scary amount.

A game could never take that hit just due to not having all the other items being sold along with it. So you can only see and understand the frustration of studios going under with under performing games. It's sad it really is.

I personally hate piracy and always will, my rooms full of games, DVDs, CDs, bluray and vinyl show that. Oh and the wife's anger at how much there is now lol. But it comes back to the old subject of change. I think prices need to be more realistic. There are only a couple of games that genuinely can command top money now (GTA being one).

I will give my personal experience of what piracy did to the PS1 and DS

Working in a games shop from 96 onwards the Playstation was starting to become more popular. Then about Christmas time of 96 onwards the sales of the machine really picked up. I mean any big release would sell huge numbers, anywhere from 30-50 copies that first weekend. This was just a small independent shop I was working for to.

When it became super easy to pirate for the machine and Everyman and his dog was chipping machines you were lucky to sell 8 copies of a given title over the first weekend. Sales were destroyed just like that, so the whole piracy stimulates software sales is bull. Hardware to an extent yes but there is no money in hardware.

Going forward a few years the amount of DS consoles i would sell was massive. You would just fleetingly ask with every sale if there was any particular game they were after to go with the machine. More often the reply was "nope I'm getting an R4 card and downloading everything. Did not want to even pay that for the DS" I used to steam with rage thinking "you are complaining about the price of the console yet you are never going spend another penny on a single game!" You can think what a tight git you are sir dressed in you're fancy clothes. You stopped asking in the end as you knew the response.

That really did gring my gears when I used to sell games for a living.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:03 am

gman72 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
I havent.
I wasn't referring to you directly, it was a general comment, much like yours was.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:03 am

Yeah, I know how you feel with that one. As far as I'm concerned, stealing is stealing.... simple as that. Were I to catch anyone I know IRL doing that, I would proceed to make their day not only as miserable as they can imagine it, but as miserable as *I* can imagine it. Fortunately nobody I know would consider doing such a thing.

Regardless of that though, there's too much lack of control over anger this time around from too many people in this topic here. Ends up just not accomplishing anything aside from making everything suck.

Even my own self-control nearly cracked, really. Not because of the dumb comment I'd quoted earlier... that guy cant make me genuinely angry anymore, it's just tiresome at this point... but alot of the other stuff in the thread came close. It's just getting overly nasty, really.

In all honesty, were it up to me, this would be the point at which the thread got locked.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:35 am

What's even happening in this thread? Where's the predictions?

I give Capcom 3 months after release of SFV to cave in and bring it to the Bone

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 am

silvergunner wrote:the whole piracy stimulates software sales is bull. Hardware to an extent yes but there is no money in hardware.
Yes, silvergunner, I could not agree with your post more if i tried.
I've read some piffle on this forum in the past but the whole piracy is good for the industry and stimulates healthy sales is the single biggest nonsense i've ever read in this place. Never has the old analogy been true... opinions are like bumholes we all have one and they often stink.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I find it quite telling and revealing that its 2 Pc gamers that are the ones who want to pretend piracy does not do any harm. very interesting indeed.
I'm a PC gamer and have no time for pirates.
With the constant sales of games on PC and all the free to play games there really is no excuse.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:20 am

Sel Feena wrote:Image

What's even happening in this thread? Where's the predictions?

I give Capcom 3 months after release of SFV to cave in and bring it to the Bone
It's not coming till 2018 I hear.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 am

Ah? Thought it was due next year for some reason. Bloody looks enough like 4 for that to be the case

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I find it quite telling and revealing that its 2 Pc gamers that are the ones who want to pretend piracy does not do any harm. very interesting indeed.
I'm a PC gamer and have no time for pirates.
With the constant sales of games on PC and all the free to play games there really is no excuse.
I don't mean to imply all PC gamers are pirates. Far from it, but the PC communitydoes have a high quota of pirates, and as a PC gamer you will have come across them, they are self entitled as well.

always trying to claim they are pirating to make a stand, or only pirating because the game was not made the way they wanted it. The worst of the worst.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 pm

silvergunner wrote:I
I will give my personal experience of what piracy did to the PS1 and DS

Working in a games shop from 96 onwards the Playstation was starting to become more popular. Then about Christmas time of 96 onwards the sales of the machine really picked up. I mean any big release would sell huge numbers, anywhere from 30-50 copies that first weekend. This was just a small independent shop I was working for to.

When it became super easy to pirate for the machine and Everyman and his dog was chipping machines you were lucky to sell 8 copies of a given title over the first weekend. Sales were destroyed just like that, so the whole piracy stimulates software sales is bull. Hardware to an extent yes but there is no money in hardware.

Going forward a few years the amount of DS consoles i would sell was massive. You would just fleetingly ask with every sale if there was any particular game they were after to go with the machine. More often the reply was "nope I'm getting an R4 card and downloading everything. Did not want to even pay that for the DS" I used to steam with rage thinking "you are complaining about the price of the console yet you are never going spend another penny on a single game!" You can think what a tight git you are sir dressed in you're fancy clothes. You stopped asking in the end as you knew the response.

That really did gring my gears when I used to sell games for a living.
The irony of anything like this is that people pirating games obviously want to play them and therefore want the developers to keep making them, sequels etc. How they expect studios to spend thousands/millions of pounds and untold hours of labouring on a game and then have the right to pay sod all for it is unbelievable. If everybody was the same then there would be no games because there would be no incentive for anybody to bother producing them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.