Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:59 am

Nemesis wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Thats just it, Valve are not stupid. They want a platform to run their own OS but the risk is too great. So they are getting other hardware companies to come in adt take the financial risks.

One thing I would have to ask as well is that if its a brand new OS are the games going to require programming to run on that system. If that is the case are companies going to bother.
That was always their plan though and they haven't tried to disguise that. I'm not sure what the financial margins are for the companies making SM's but you'd hope that it would be sustainable for the most successful manufacturers.
Given that the margins on budget computers are generally wafer thin, I'd reckon that Steam Machines could be comparatively profitable. Also, if the Alienware Alpha is anything to go by, there'll be a premium charged for more powerful CPUs and GPUs as well as more RAM and a bigger hard drive.

The risk is really whether the market is really ready for a games PC that doesn't run Windows, although I suppose that's easily fixed if the answer proves to be no.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 am

PostieDoc wrote:IGabe Newell isn't very happy with the direction that Microsoft are taking their OS
Is anyone?

And thus is the big, glaring disadvantage with all PC gaming: Having to put up with Windows. An OS that appears to be made entirely out of distilled stupidity.

For me the benefit of having hundreds of games on here (and then emulated arcade games after that) is balanced out by the part where I shriek at it and bang on it with a shoe.

Which accomplishes about as much as it sounds like, but it makes me feel better at least. Briefly. I dont use the consoles all that much, but at least the damn things just plain WORK. Even if I manage to do something like drop a TV on one. Did that once, because desk, it didnt seem to have an actual effect. Whereas Windows goes berserk if you look at it too hard.

Also in response to the bit about piracy... ugh, I always wish it was possible to stop people from doing that. A developer that puts out a game that you want/like deserves support! People seem to have this idea that "well, no, piracy doesnt REALLY hurt them, because blah blah blah (often translated to: 'because pirates on the internet told me it was fine'). So it's okay if I do it". And just.... arrrgh. Heard the same damn stupid arguement about piracy both on PC and on consoles. Just.... uuugh. I find it infuriating, espectially after having worked with indie devs as much as I now have, knowing what kinds of crap they have to go through to get a project done, let alone profit from it.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 am

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:The thing is, even as a staunch console gamer. If I had to give up consoles and was given the choice, I would avoid the Steambox like the plague and start building my own PC in a heartbeat.

Thats coming from an already established console gamer, I have no idea why people who already have a Gaming Pc would even entertain a Steambox. If I was to get into PC type games I would go with an actual PC.
You could build your own desktop easily enough, but would you build yourself a gaming-capable HTPC? That's basically what the Steam Machine is going to be, and you'd have to do a fair bit of research to come up with components you could cram into a slimline case, not make too much noise and heat, and still be capable of playing the latest games let alone assemble the thing. I think they've been quite careful in selecting the market they're pitching these things to and it's one where off-the-shelf hardware to do the job doesn't exist yet. Or at least it didn't until the Alienware Alpha.

I'd still see SteamOS as a bit of a work in progress though. Sure, it's got a comparable number of games to most current generation consoles now, and you can also stream Windows games if you've got a desktop in the same house to run them on, but It's hard to see how gamers wouldn't just view it as a glass half empty. Most likely they'd end up putting Windows on it.
The easy solution being that you get an SI to build the computer for you.
The old argument that it is cheaper to buy all the components separately and build it yourself doesn't really apply anymore, especially when you factor in shipping costs.
I like Valve and would like someone to give Microsoft the shock they need to buck up their ideas but just don't see where the market for the Steambox is.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:The thing is, even as a staunch console gamer. If I had to give up consoles and was given the choice, I would avoid the Steambox like the plague and start building my own PC in a heartbeat.

Thats coming from an already established console gamer, I have no idea why people who already have a Gaming Pc would even entertain a Steambox. If I was to get into PC type games I would go with an actual PC.
You could build your own desktop easily enough, but would you build yourself a gaming-capable HTPC? That's basically what the Steam Machine is going to be, and you'd have to do a fair bit of research to come up with components you could cram into a slimline case, not make too much noise and heat, and still be capable of playing the latest games let alone assemble the thing. I think they've been quite careful in selecting the market they're pitching these things to and it's one where off-the-shelf hardware to do the job doesn't exist yet. Or at least it didn't until the Alienware Alpha.
It's quite easy to build a small yet powerful PC these days. Just get one of those mini ITX graphics cards (the powerful GeForce GTX 970 is available in mini ITX form), boards and cases and you got yourself a little beasty PC:

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:48 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
It's quite easy to build a small yet powerful PC these days. Just get one of those mini ITX graphics cards (the powerful GeForce GTX 970 is available in mini ITX form), boards and cases and you got yourself a little beasty PC:

Ooh I'm writing this down
Scott me up beamie!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Misery wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:IGabe Newell isn't very happy with the direction that Microsoft are taking their OS
Is anyone?

And thus is the big, glaring disadvantage with all PC gaming: Having to put up with Windows. An OS that appears to be made entirely out of distilled stupidity.
That's a bit harsh... :wink:

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Windows either but I'm used to them and also the fact is that MS outdid the OS competition. Let me ask you this, why is Linux not more popular than Windows for the common user? I mean it's free and runs all the basic stuff you need, yet it's much less popular. People even rather have pirate Windows than the free Linux which is quite telling. So sure, maybe those people just don't know any better, but fact remains that Windows is the popular, common choice. And let's not waste words on Mac OS X, which doesn't even boot on a "normal" PC. Apple can be lucky that there are enough *cough*suckers*cough* to buy an overpriced Mac in the first place... :P

edit: looks like the forum doesn't allow me (?) to post the rest of my post so here's just a little thing I wanted to say regarding piracy on the PC - it actually stimulates hardware and even software sales. And the same goes for consoles too, no matter what the hypocrites want to tell you about how damaging it is for the industry. :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:04 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Misery wrote:
Is anyone?

That's a bit harsh... :wink:

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Windows either but I'm used to them and also the fact is that MS outdid the OS competition. Let me ask you this, why is Linux not more popular than Windows for the common user? I mean it's free and runs all the basic stuff you need, yet it's much less popular. People even rather have pirate Windows than the free Linux which is quite telling. So sure, maybe those people just don't know any better, but fact remains that Windows is the popular, common choice. And let's not waste words on Mac OS X, which doesn't even boot on a "normal" PC. Apple can be lucky that there are enough *cough*suckers*cough* to buy an overpriced Mac in the first place... :P

edit: looks like the forum doesn't allow me (?) to post the rest of my post so here's just a little thing I wanted to say regarding piracy on the PC - it actually stimulates hardware and even software sales. And the same goes for consoles too, no matter what the hypocrites want to tell you about how damaging it is for the industry. :wink:
please explain

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: please explain
I don't know what the situation in the UK, US, Japan, ect is, but the only consoles that were any successful here where I live were those which allowed for easy piracy, for example Famicom (colorful Chinese "100 in 1" pirate carts were common), Game Boy (well here more game swapping and trading was going on), PS1 (easy to chip, burn CDs), PS2 (likewise), 360 (piracy on PS3 was inexistent for quite some time, hence lower sales), even Wii's success was partially due to easy running of "backup" copies. And all these systems still sold a truckload of software, in spite of all the pirating that was going on. So yes, PC has the most piracy, but it's negative effects on the industry are more a question of ethics than actual "lost sales". The success of services like Steam is proof that people are more than willing to buy software when the percieved value is in accordance to the general viewpoint, and not overpriced products like it's quite common on console systems. Only reason why there's not more piracy on consoles is because the general console audience is younger and less tech-savvy than the PC one. :wink:

edit: oh, and piracy is usually connected to the general standard of living. You can't honestly compare Brazilian, Chinese and Russian software piracy to piracy in the UK, US, Japan and other countries with higher living standards.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm

How totally unsurprising that in addition to being a PC Master Race goldfish outdated gamer also turns out to be a pro-piracy telegraph pole. :roll:

And yes MPM, I'll enjoy the blow up doll.

edited to remove naughty words. mpm
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:20 pm

There are plenty of pirates in the west, so explain to everyone a couple of things.

Firstly, how does piracy drive software and hardware sales?
Secondly, why is anyone who doesn't agree with you a hypocrite?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm

@the_beans, funny then that all the software I got on my PC is legit... :wink:

PostieDoc wrote:There are plenty of pirates in the west, so explain to everyone a couple of things.

I already gave some examples, I don't think I need to discuss the matter any further to prove a point. Like I said, it's more a matter of ethics than anything else. If you want to take a "high moral ground", sure, be a crusader against it and keep kissing the big corporate behinds... :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: please explain
I don't know what the situation in the UK, US, Japan, ect is, but the only consoles that were any successful here where I live were those which allowed for easy piracy, for example Famicom (colorful Chinese "100 in 1" pirate carts were common), Game Boy (well here more game swapping and trading was going on), PS1 (easy to chip, burn CDs), PS2 (likewise), 360 (piracy on PS3 was inexistent for quite some time, hence lower sales), even Wii's success was partially due to easy running of "backup" copies. And all these systems still sold a truckload of software, in spite of all the pirating that was going on. So yes, PC has the most piracy, but it's negative effects on the industry are more a question of ethics than actual "lost sales". The success of services like Steam is proof that people are more than willing to buy software when the percieved value is in accordance to the general viewpoint, and not overpriced products like it's quite common on console systems. Only reason why there's not more piracy on consoles is because the general console audience is younger and less tech-savvy than the PC one. :wink:

I asked you to explain how piracy drove software sales, you explained nothing. All you have said is systems that were easy to pirate sold more. those people were buying pirate games and not originals. how did that drive software sales.

1000 people buying a console and buying a handful of original games > 10000 people buying a console and never buying an original game ever.

You have passed from an annoyance to an outright idiot in all honesty. No wonder most people oin here dislike you.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

The Beans wrote:How totally unsurprising that in addition to being a PC Master Race mangina outdated gamer also turns out to be a pro-piracy wombat. :roll:

And yes MPM, I'll enjoy the horse hair sandwich.
I will join you in the ban then, Outdated gamer is a lumberjack and in all honesty he should be the one getting a banned.

edited to remove naughty words... mpm

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:@the_beans, funny then that all the software I got on my PC is legit... :wink:

PostieDoc wrote:There are plenty of pirates in the west, so explain to everyone a couple of things.

I already gave some examples, I don't think I need to discuss the matter any further to prove a point. Like I said, it's more a matter of ethics than anything else. If you want to take a "high moral ground", sure, be a crusader against it and keep kissing the big corporate behinds... :wink:
Piracy has destroyed smaller development teams. You never gave any examples at all. you have never explained how piracy drives software sales.

You have just lost all credibility on here.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:29 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:(piracy on PS3 was inexistent for quite some time, hence lower sales)
This bit just doesn't agree with me. PS3's sluggish start was down to a high price, the excellent 360 getting out well in advance (thus building a good reputation + sales) and the lack of killer games. To say that the PS3 got off to a slow start because people were unable to pirate games is crazy :?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.