Never buying from Game again...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I've not bought anything new from Game for several years - I think the last thing I bought out of there was a couple of the "reduced to clear" Wii games - most of which are the generic tat that'll be staying on their shelves until the store gets demolished. All the gems have been long cleared.

I do still go in for a look every now and then - kinda hoping that a DS copy of Geometry Wars might just show up in there one day. :wink:
Where logic won't work, I will

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by flatapex » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:03 pm

game used to be ok here a few years ago, the manager at that time was a really straight up guy, he knew a LOT about games and consoles and everyone left with a genuinely good deal, including me who when I was after a dslite was tipped off about the immaculate one which had just arrived courtesy of the woman in front of me in the queue (one of the few that was owned by someone that looked after it, didnt scratch it, or break the hinges or recase it etc, still have it now.

he went a while back and the last time i went in the prices were wrong on the psp games and one of the games had the wrong umd in and it didnt even work
Image

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:31 am

Their website has some fairly good deals on it at the moment; I was going to get FF13 LR but it sold out before I'd finished browsing. Don't go to the shop as I can't be bothered to go all the way into town, pay to park, dodge charity sellers and pay more than I would online. Never had a bad experience - I did get once game that turned out to have a cracked disc but they swapped it no questions asked
Last edited by Negative Creep on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:57 pm

gunbladelad wrote:I've not bought anything new from Game for several years - I think the last thing I bought out of there was a couple of the "reduced to clear" Wii games - most of which are the generic tat that'll be staying on their shelves until the store gets demolished. All the gems have been long cleared.

I do still go in for a look every now and then - kinda hoping that a DS copy of Geometry Wars might just show up in there one day. :wink:
Is GW DS hard to find? I'm on about my sixth copy, keep selling it then missing it and buying it back, plus I needed it to unlock some levels on the Wii version.

As for Game I've had several shocking experiences there but a couple of positive ones too. There's a guy in one of our local branches who's really knowledgable and friendly. He once gave me a MotionPlus dongle free because I was a 'loyal customer', they were marked up for £13 at the time!
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by Treguard » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm having issues with Game online. Made some extra cash over Christmas by listing games that were in the sale at Game on eBay at a small mark up and then having them shipped direct to the buyer. A couple haven't arrived, but their stupid customer service robots tell me that they can't talk to me about the orders due to data protection because I paid via PayPal and they only have the ship to details on their screen, even though it was bought on my account from my PayPal. Just completely lacking in common sense.

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by retrojc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:16 am

Megamixer wrote:
retrojc wrote: I have never had a good experience with Game online though...
See, I'm the opposite and everything has always been fine! My only issue with them is that stuff tends to be dumped in just a grey bag which is crap when they do so many exclusive Ltd Editions in cardboard boxes :shock: . Luckily my collector's editions of Soul Calibur V and Tekken Tag 2 were undamaged but I can see how easy it would be for the opposite to be true...

Funny how we all seem to have completely polar experiences. Some people hate the place, others have never had a problem.
I've bought a lot (well, like 5 or 6) of limited editions from Game online, or at least games that come in cardboard boxes. Not a single one has ever came to my door in good condition. Some of this could be down to royal mail, some of this could be down to packaging a game in a sheet of plastic.

What really gets me is that a lot of the time, I'm on the ball with these kind of things, so I pre-order a nice edition months in advance then it arrives late, and damaged. Then they've sold out.. so I am left with a poor copy, or no game at all. This isn't just for Game though, Amazon can be poor too.

ALK
Posts: 3081
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by ALK » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Well this was classic today in-store.

Halo 3
Was £1.99
Now £3

No joke, those stickers were on all the boxed copies of Halo 3. :lol: If only I had a working picture phone with me....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Occasionally Game have half priced offers on new games, other than that I stay clear!
Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3289
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by RetroBob » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:51 pm

It is a soulless experience, nothing on the shelves, electronic tat and upwelling through the roof. They learned nothing other than 'sell electronics'.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

General Opulence
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by General Opulence » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:59 am

GAME imo are bloody useless, my son and i went in there before xmas (mainly because a 13 year old cant wait for delivery and we found what we thought was a good offer) and they had an xbox one with game bundle for sale, so we took the plunge and said we would have that, a good 20 mins later when they finally found the game cases and download coupons, idiots i thought, at least i'll be out of here in a few mins....then they tried to ring it all through the till....15 mins later still no luck it wouldn't deduct the offer off the base prices, i said cant you just put it in manually and phone through to your headquarters getting the discount put through...no apparently not.
Another 10 mins on the phone to their bosses, the deal which they had on their main board outside had run out at midnight, i said you are advertising it still, but rights you have to sell it to me, another 5 mins on the phone, "oh we can't so sorry", "but there is another deal coming in at midnight "(not with the games my son wanted) as you can imagine I'm pretty fuming at this stage, i said not only have you wasted a good 45-50 minutes of my time due to your companies imbeciles, but you could have offered a free game to go with a standalone console...but no, so we went to Sainsburys around the corner and picked one up 10 mins later.

Certainly won't be going back into any GAME for a long time!

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 am

General Opulence wrote:GAME imo are bloody useless, my son and i went in there before xmas (mainly because a 13 year old cant wait for delivery and we found what we thought was a good offer) and they had an xbox one with game bundle for sale, so we took the plunge and said we would have that, a good 20 mins later when they finally found the game cases and download coupons, idiots i thought, at least i'll be out of here in a few mins....then they tried to ring it all through the till....15 mins later still no luck it wouldn't deduct the offer off the base prices, i said cant you just put it in manually and phone through to your headquarters getting the discount put through...no apparently not.
Another 10 mins on the phone to their bosses, the deal which they had on their main board outside had run out at midnight, i said you are advertising it still, but rights you have to sell it to me, another 5 mins on the phone, "oh we can't so sorry", "but there is another deal coming in at midnight "(not with the games my son wanted) as you can imagine I'm pretty fuming at this stage, i said not only have you wasted a good 45-50 minutes of my time due to your companies imbeciles, but you could have offered a free game to go with a standalone console...but no, so we went to Sainsburys around the corner and picked one up 10 mins later.

Certainly won't be going back into any GAME for a long time!

Now that's a misconception that the shop has to sell it to you. Most shops will do it from a customer service point of view to avoid hassle, but seeing they could not ring it through it's annoying but they're hands are tied which is no good for you.

Here is the consumers rights on the issue:

In stores:

If an item is priced incorrectly on the shelf, or scans at the wrong price at the till, retailers are under no obligation to honour it, under the Sale of Goods Act. They can offer the item at the correct price or refuse your money and withdraw the product from sale.

If a pricing mistake is not noticed and the customer pays for an item at the reduced cost, the purchase is considered a legally binding contract between the retailer and the customer. The shop has no legal right to claw back any money if it later realises there has been an error.

Online:

The situation is not as clear-cut online.

The legally binding contract is complete when a retailer accepts an order. However, acceptance does not necessarily happen at the point of order. Even the confirmation email may not be an acceptance. Some retailers reserve the right to cancel an order up to the point of delivery. It is therefore important to carefully check the retailer’s terms and conditions (which must be available on their website) and emails – if a retailer simply acknowledges an order, there may be no contract at that point.
Last edited by silvergunner on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:58 pm

but that situation makes no sense at all...........

replacing one offer on a console with another would make sense if they were consecutive, i.e monday to sunday offer 1, then monday to sunday offer 2. with offers on the standalone console if the bundle doesnt fit what the customer wants?

a lot of stores have changed with regards to stuff like this and not for the better, when i worked in retail the rule was if any pricing error was made on the shelf, we honoured for the customer that brought it to our attention and removed the offending shelf label. this was commonplace at the time (about 10 years ago), our systems were even set up for such eventualities

now its all different, a lot of stores are a lot tighter, not admitting their mistakes and not removing the labels.
Image

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Like most legal stuff some of it really don't seem to make sense when there could be a simpler way to do things in that situation.

Also in my experience a lot of people don't really know what the sales of goods act means and when they start mouthing off regarding an issue mentioning it they are completely wrong.

As said most stores will honour prices just from a customer service point of view and avoid upset. This is game we are talking about but if the system is not setup to let them ring in anything at any price then there is not a lot that can be done.

User avatar
learnedrobb
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:08 am

silvergunner wrote:Like most legal stuff some of it really don't seem to make sense when there could be a simpler way to do things in that situation.

Also in my experience a lot of people don't really know what the sales of goods act means and when they start mouthing off regarding an issue mentioning it they are completely wrong.

As said most stores will honour prices just from a customer service point of view and avoid upset. This is game we are talking about but if the system is not setup to let them ring in anything at any price then there is not a lot that can be done.
I find it hard to believe that their till system is so rigid, that there is no way the manager (or designated supervisor) can not do a manual discount in this case. Sounds to me like the Manager wanted to try and force the extra spend rather than give good customer service.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

User avatar
rossi46
Posts: 4411
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: melrose
Contact:

Re: Never buying from Game again...

Post by rossi46 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:34 am

I'm going to Game in Livingston today (via ikea :() and we'll see what new year ps3 or ps4 bargains there are to be had.

Are there any Gamestations left in the UK?
Thoughts and prayers.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests