Legend of Mir

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JoeNTMY

Legend of Mir

Post by JoeNTMY » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

I was just wondering if anyone else played this game back in the early 00's? It was an MMORPG and it was regularly featured on a TV channel called Game Network on Sky.

GigaPepsiMan

Re: Legend of Mir

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm

I remember this game because of Game Network dedicating loads of screen time to it. Looked like a decent Diablo clone. No idea if the game is still going today.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:I remember this game because of Game Network dedicating loads of screen time to it. Looked like a decent Diablo clone. No idea if the game is still going today.
It definitely looked a bit like Diablo with the isometric view and the health and mana bars. It was a lot slower paced though. The game isn't going any more - According to Wikipedia, it was closed in 2009.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Haha, don't get me started on this nightmare from my past.

Back in the day, when dial-up was the rage and downloads pretty much took up the entire bandwidth that browsing wasn't even possible when doing so. All of me and my brothers friends were playing this game back in the day and told us to jump on it, but the download was a whipping 600MB!!!!!!!!!

We used DAP (download accelerator plus) to get the game, as it had the great feauture of pausing/resuming downloads, because we had the 2hour automatic internet cut off through BT, so we had to reconnect every 2 hours. Anyway, 2 days pass (lol) and we finally finish the download. Unzip .....Corrupt

Rant over

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 am

samhain81 wrote:Haha, don't get me started on this nightmare from my past.

Back in the day, when dial-up was the rage and downloads pretty much took up the entire bandwidth that browsing wasn't even possible when doing so. All of me and my brothers friends were playing this game back in the day and told us to jump on it, but the download was a whipping 600MB!!!!!!!!!

We used DAP (download accelerator plus) to get the game, as it had the great feauture of pausing/resuming downloads, because we had the 2hour automatic internet cut off through BT, so we had to reconnect every 2 hours. Anyway, 2 days pass (lol) and we finally finish the download. Unzip .....Corrupt

Rant over

Ha ha! I know exactly what you're talking about! I used to have to get someone fortunate enough to have an ADSL connection to send me the download on CD.

Did you ever manage to get to play the game?

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:44 am

Always wanted to play it. Watched loads of it on Game Network. I miss that channel :(

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 am

Black Ridge wrote:Always wanted to play it. Watched loads of it on Game Network. I miss that channel :(
Yeah, it was a good channel back in the day. I think it's BabeStation now.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Wow, this was a blast from the past. Remember watching these during the day on my off days from college, I always thought Legend of Mir looked terrible!
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am

Lorfarius wrote:Wow, this was a blast from the past. Remember watching these during the day on my off days from college, I always thought Legend of Mir looked terrible!
Well, I thought it was the bees knees! The only other MMORPG that I can recall being around at that time was Ultima Online (which some friends played). Looking like Diablo and being playable online, it was perfect!