Best and Worst Christmas mornings

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Best and Worst Christmas mornings

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 am

Best Christmas Morning for me was getting an NES turtles pack, especially as my parents hid it in the cupboard and only brought it out when I had opened everything else

Worst was giving my parents a list of all the great megadrive games I wanted, then getting the likes of Fantasia on christmas morning. Luckily I was able to take them back and exchange them.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Best and Worst Christmas morings

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 am

One of the best was getting power strike on Master System. One of the worst was receiving James Pond Robocod on Mega Drive.
Oh and the wife bought me a PS4 last year. That was okay.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 am

best was geting a scorpion light gun and time crisis on ps1 with some wcw stuff or my gba cant really say Ive had a bad one but was gutting last year when my ps2 was dead on xmas day and I opened some games so I quickly bought a new ps2 that I later traded when I started using my ps3 more but now regret that choice
This guy are sick

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:38 am

Best: Getting my first computer, a speccy!

Worst: Don't really want to say as it's a bit personal but I have had some shocking ones in recent years.

You need to edit the title, I thought it was a topic for people who live on a barge! :P

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:One of the best was getting power strike on Master System. One of the worst was receiving James Pond Robocod on Mega Drive.
Oh and the wife bought me a PS4 last year. That was okay.
Sega is awesome :D ... oh a ps4 thats nice :lol:
This guy are sick

RodimusPrime

Re: Best and Worst Christmas mornings

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:12 pm

The Laird wrote:Best: Getting my first computer, a speccy!

Worst: Don't really want to say as it's a bit personal but I have had some shocking ones in recent years.

You need to edit the title, I thought it was a topic for people who live on a barge! :P
Cheers. Sorted now.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Best might be Gameboy + Tetris + Mario Land, although for me all my console purchases and gifts have been outside of Christmas Day, so that's why I remember that one the most. From Playstation onwards I've bought everything for myself!

In all fairness I think I've appreciated all my Christmas presents I've ever been given, so can't remember an especially bad one.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Best was receiving a SNES in '93 then a PS1 in '95.

Worst. My ex receiving a semi nude picture as a Christmas present via text and not telling the guy to leave her alone. Cue a very nasty Xmas day.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Best? the ones where you get stuff and love it
Worst? the ones when you went out and got leathered on xmas eve and now can't even open your eyes let alone your presents

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Gaming-wise I have only had good ones really.

Super Mario 3 for NES. That is a really special game and to get that for Christmas was pretty good - hard to top really and it's one of the few games that actually lived up to the hype. I can still remember trying to read the manual through the haze of a hangover….good memories.

Second best is probably Diddy Kong Racing for N64 - Playing Frosty Village at that time of year is splendid. I was up for an extended session on Christmas night but my wife wanted us to go to a friend's house for drinks. I made the wise move of complying.

Worst was the year I got Defender for 2600 - but not for the reason you would think. Yeah - it was a dodgy looking port but it was pretty playable. I enjoyed it and I played the hell out of it. I pleaded to get it a few weeks early and my parents caved in and so didn't have a new game to play that Christmas. Top 2600 games were £30 back then in 1982 - equates to about £100 in todays money with inflation taken into account….and my parents didn't have a lot of money.

Couple of OK-ish experiences in the shape of stocking fillers - Zoop for SNES (which I really quite like and the music on the SNES version is great), and Ballistic for PS1 which is a predecessor of XBL's Zuma - pretty good little game that.

I'm getting Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets for the 360 this year so that will be pretty good too as I like cute shmups.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:15 pm

BEST: Getting an absolute load of games for the Amiga. My cousin ditched his and gave me all his games - Monkey Island, Mortal Kombat, Benefactor, Jim Powers, Project X, Tearaway Thomas, James Pond, The Settlers, Eye of the Beholder, Premier Manager, Oscar, Superfrog...it was a brilliant year.

WORST: Erm, I don't think I've had a particularly bad one, but I gave my little brother Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA years back and it didn't work - by the time Christmas came around it was too late to return it (that's what I get for buying in advance)

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:42 pm

look at it sideways wrote:BEST: Getting an absolute load of games for the Amiga. My cousin ditched his and gave me all his games - Monkey Island, Mortal Kombat, Benefactor, Jim Powers, Project X, Tearaway Thomas, James Pond, The Settlers, Eye of the Beholder, Premier Manager, Oscar, Superfrog...it was a brilliant year.

WORST: Erm, I don't think I've had a particularly bad one, but I gave my little brother Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA years back and it didn't work - by the time Christmas came around it was too late to return it (that's what I get for buying in advance)
yeah by in DS next time :lol:
This guy are sick

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Waking up with chicken pox in '83!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:10 pm

The Best: Getting a C64

The Worst: Letting the mother-in-law help with the cooking! :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:07 am

Never really had a bad one, but the best would be getting my megadrive.