Smash Bros: What's next?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Smash Bros: What's next?

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:15 pm

So Masahiro Sakurai says Smash Bros Wii U will likely be his last as he's done all he can with it...which leads me to the question, do you agree? What more do you think can be done with the idea? Obviously there are additional characters, but in terms of gameplay modes/improvements, how do you think it can get better?

Personally I'd like to see the following:

* A proper campaign mode - I liked what they did in Brawl, and I'd be perfectly happy to see something similar. However, I'd also be keen to see something along the lines of Soul Calibur II's career mode. Something like that could work well, I reckon.

* DLC - The Mario Kart 8 DLC showed me that Nintendo know how to do that kind of thing in the right way. Sakurai has already given his take on DLC - but I think the right way to handle it is to mainly base it around non-Nintendo characters. A Namco pack, perhaps. Or a Sega pack. Or from a Nintendo perspective, maybe a Pokemon pack. I have no problem with DLC as long as it's handled in the right way. The DLC doesn't have to be entirely character based, it could add customization content, new songs, new stages and features.

* Ending videos - Proper ending videos, Tekken style, but without the speech. Another reason to complete the game with every character. The trophies don't give me as much motivation as they probably should.

DPrinny

Re: Smash Bros: What's next?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Super Smash kart.
Go all Sonic allstars racing transformed with it

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I haven't played the latest but each installment is just more characters/stages etc. Obviously the Wii-U/3DS latest has gone a bit further with the Amiibo idea and a debut handheld game for the series but as long as Nintendo routinely add in new characters, levels and references then a sequel will always sell well without needing a major overhaul.

The single player mode in Brawl was a bit rubbish in my opinion. There were good bits and poor bits with around 75% of the bosses in that mode being annoying (including the end boss). Rayquaza, Metal Ridley and a few others were decent but the others quickly became a chore. I wasn't really too much of a fan of Melee's adventure mode either really but overall I do agree that a proper single player mode would be a great thing. The problem is that the series sells really well off the back of multiplayer so Nintendo don't really need to create something in-depth for the series to keep selling. A bit cynical perhaps but there you go...

As for DLC...isn't it already happening with the current version? I heard that Mewtwo is a DLC character for starters (about bloody time they put him back in).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Megamixer wrote:I haven't played the latest but each installment is just more characters/stages etc. Obviously the Wii-U/3DS latest has gone a bit further with the Amiibo idea and a debut handheld game for the series but as long as Nintendo routinely add in new characters, levels and references then a sequel will always sell well without needing a major overhaul.

The single player mode in Brawl was a bit rubbish in my opinion. There were good bits and poor bits with around 75% of the bosses in that mode being annoying (including the end boss). Rayquaza, Metal Ridley and a few others were decent but the others quickly became a chore. I wasn't really too much of a fan of Melee's adventure mode either really but overall I do agree that a proper single player mode would be a great thing. The problem is that the series sells really well off the back of multiplayer so Nintendo don't really need to create something in-depth for the series to keep selling. A bit cynical perhaps but there you go...

As for DLC...isn't it already happening with the current version? I heard that Mewtwo is a DLC character for starters (about bloody time they put him back in).
Sort of...as far as it goes, it seems like he's the only piece of DLC that's going to be made available: http://www.destructoid.com/no-smash-bro ... 4067.phtml

I'm thinking something closer to what's happened with Mario Kart would be appropriate.

And you're right - they could easily "Pokemon" each release (churn it out with the same basic gameplay and features) and it would still sell.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 pm

yep the last word sakurai gave on it was that there are no plans for paid dlc with exception to mewtwo. until that changes that is probably gonna be the way it is for this iteration.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Nothing/who cares?

The appeal of smash brothers is the multiplayter and the novelty of nintendo mascots fighting it out, so long as the next game has that anything else is just icing on the cake, no need to reinvent the wheel.

People are fickle anyway about differences/new directions in games or the lack their off. People moan about Mario, Zelda etc being the same old thing game after game, despite the fact they are not. For Smash Bros to have some new direction or new type of gameplay of any note it would likely require a drastic overhaul for these people to even recognise a difference, to the extent it might no longer resemble be the game that people liked in the first place, at which point people will just complain about that.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm

personaly Id like a full reboot with a whole new twist also hope sony do battle royale 2 and would like to see a microsoft one with halo gears fable and less known titles like grabbed by the ghoulies oh and do what sony did use multi platform charicters that where ms first so frank west johnny gat ect.

but in terms nintendo mabie a slower pased 1v1 mode give old charicter new moves and stage speicfic power ups oh and how about 5 players 4 on wiimote/GC pad/Gamepad pro and 1 on the tablet or a 3DS
This guy are sick

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Smash has DLC. It's called Amiibo and it will be the most expensive DLC ever.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:23 pm

The guy packs a LOT into these games since Melee from trophies to modes and games. Whether anyone will go as far as he did with the series is something I wonder, but hopefully other returning team members will be up to the task perhaps.

Another real story mode with cutscenes is a given, perhaps DLC packs could offer more 3rd Party characters in like a "SSB Vs SEGA Pack", "SSB Vs Namco" pack, etc. that adds 10 characters and some stages based off classic franchises from those companies could be a hot seller if done right (Price wise and not filling it with just Sonic's buddies).

But hey, Sakurai as a more free man could mean he'll whip out another franchise revival game and pack the sucker with a ton of content so it'll last us a good long while. Hell, I'll even take a sequel to KI Uprising for Wii U. :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:47 am

nakamura wrote:Smash has DLC. It's called Amiibo and it will be the most expensive DLC ever.
It's not DLC. It's the physical media that the fanboys are clamouring for. :wink:

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:52 am

I think a namco pack would be good but not the tekken fighters more along the lines of ms pac man dig duc ect
This guy are sick

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:01 am

I hope Hal are made developers of all future smash games. 64 and Melee are still amazing.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:21 am

Id love a NES/SNES/GB/GBA stylised 2D graphics()with filters like in retro city and like a 8bit mario who can power up into a 16 bit mario
This guy are sick

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:22 am

DPrinny wrote:Super Smash kart.
Go all Sonic allstars racing transformed with it
This.

With all the current DLC for Mario Kart it's inevitable that this is gonna happen in the next iteration. The vanilla cast was already showing signs of strain, what with all the Koopa and Mario Kids. Expand it to outside Nintendo franchises and watch all that Smash Bros money come rolling in.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 am

Matt_B wrote:
nakamura wrote:Smash has DLC. It's called Amiibo and it will be the most expensive DLC ever.
It's not DLC. It's the physical media that the fanboys are clamouring for. :wink:
They are £11 a pop and using them unlocks bonus costumes etc. Clever DLC .
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)