Your top 10 games of 2014

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Your top 10 games of 2014

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:33 am

2014 seems to be getting a tough time from a lot of people for the quality of gaming releases. I've even read some people calling it one of the worst years ever. I couldn't disagree more. Quality over quantity as they say, and in my opinion there's been some real gems this year.

So what are your top 10 games of the year? (or top 5 if you can't think of that many)

Here are mine:

10. Smash Bros Wii U - The Wii U's a massively underrated machine, and if games like this had been available sooner it would be much more popular than it is. The lack of a story/campaign mode hurts it though, as does the lack of a playable Waluigi (seriously, why Rosalina and Luma but not him?!)

9. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - Great multiplayer, and probably the best value DLC I've seen in some time.

8. Shovel Knight (3DS) - A cross between Megaman and Ducktales, with a hint of Zelda II in there too. But at the same time it feels totally unique. If you're a retro game fan and you've not had the chance to play this, you really should give it a go.

7. Trials Fusion (PS4) - I didn't expect to like this game, and it's really one of the surprises of the year for me. I've sunk countless hours into it, it's controller-smashingly frustrating, and at the same time massively addictive.

6. Ys Memories of Celceta (Vita) - I'd not played any other Ys game before this one, and it absolutely hooked me. Brilliant gameplay, the battle system is fun, and completing the map is a clever idea too.

5. Danagan Ronpa (Vita) - This could easily have been higher on my list. The top 6 games or so are separated by a hair's breath. The Vita's become my favourite handheld console ever, and it's thanks in no small part to brilliant niche releases like this one.

4. Towerfall Ascension (PS4) - Yes, I realise this came out on the Ouya in 2013 - but I never had the chance to play that version. For me this is the best multiplayer game of the year, I've invested more time in this than any other release - so it definitely merits inclusion.

3. South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PS3) - Probably the funniest game of 2014. Lots of fan service too, which I appreciate.

2. Shadows of Mordor (PS4) - The nemesis system is a truly unique idea. I also love micromanaging my uruk army - you feel genuinely gutted when you train one of them up in the hope of making them a warchief, then they end up losing that crucial battle. It's brilliant fun.

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) - I really wrestled between this and Mordor for the top spot, and while I didn't invest as many hours into Wolfenstein, I found the game world they created utterly compelling. I'd love to see a sequel.

koopa42

Re: Your top 10 games of 2014

Post by koopa42 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:34 am

1. Diablo 3 reaper of Souls is the bestest game of 2014 by a country mile.

2. Probably The Evil Within, resident evil for this gen IMO.

3. Far Cry 4

4. the rest.
Last edited by koopa42 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:37 am

1- Divinity: Original Sin (PC)
2- Forza Horizon 2 (XB1)
3- Endless Legend (PC)
4- GTAV (XB1)
5- South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PC)
6- Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor (PC)
7- Alien: Isolation (PC)
8- Jazzpunk (PC)
9- BattleBlock Theater (PC)
10- Elite: Dangerous (PC)

I have only picked games that I actually played, hence the PC focus.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 am

2. Thief (pc)

3. Halo (X1)

4. Minecraft (X1)

5. hmm struggling here... Baldurs gate remastered (Android)

6. Titanfall (Xbone) I supose

7. Alien Isolation (PC)

8. FIFA 15 (X1) best fifa since 2004 (my favorite)

9. err... not a classic year 'eh? maybe Dragon Age Inquisition the six hour demo I played

10. was ARMA 3 this year?

1. Elite Dangerous oooh yea!

not even sure if all my picks are 2014, I'm not checking (Ain't nobody got time for that!)
Scott me up beamie!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 am

Going to have to think about this one. As with any year I have loads of games I have really enjoyed. will have to narrow it down. in the meantime I am sure someone will do the obvious.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I can't even remember what I've played/completed that was actually a 2014 release :oops: . Probably there were some but I have no idea.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Released this year or gotten this year?

I haven't gotten anything released this year

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 pm

i'd probably be able to answer this question in about 6 months to 1 years time :lol: have a huge backlog of games to get through, and I haven't even bought most of them yet.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:14 pm

PS4 - Rogue Legacy, Far Cry 4, Geometry Wars 3

Xbox 360 - Earth Defense Force 2025

Vita - OlliOlli, TxK and probably ten other games that I can't choose between.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

10? Wait, you mean games that weren't Danganronpa 2 also got released this year?!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 am

1. Diablo 3 RoS

2. erm....
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:26 pm

NickThorpe wrote:10? Wait, you mean games that weren't Danganronpa 2 also got released this year?!
Started playing that recently...not really enjoying it so far. I love Danaganronpa, but something doesn't feel quite right about this so far, they've changed it in a way that I'm finding a little backwards. Guessing you liked it, how did you find it held up to the original though?

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 am

No love for Child of Light? My game for 2014, a splendid mix of 2D platform and rpg with gorgeous art and a beautiful soundtrack.

Then, Far Cry 4 and Game of Thrones by Telltale. That's about it.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 am

look at it sideways wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:10? Wait, you mean games that weren't Danganronpa 2 also got released this year?!
Started playing that recently...not really enjoying it so far. I love Danaganronpa, but something doesn't feel quite right about this so far, they've changed it in a way that I'm finding a little backwards. Guessing you liked it, how did you find it held up to the original though?
I preferred it. I felt that the cases were generally less obvious - most of the time I felt like I was solving a mystery, rather than gathering evidence to nail an obvious culprit. I also preferred the characters, on the basis that most of them had a bit more depth - initial assumptions are more often not fully correct. Though, maybe that's just because there's a retro gamer in there? :lol:

Improved Hangman's Gambit is a misnomer though, because that little part of the trial sequences is excrement.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 pm

In no particular order...

Tekken Tag 2
Fantastic roster of characters, and very solid online.
Blazblue Chronophantasma
Fighter of the year IMO, slick and lots of depth. Gorgeous visuals and great character design
DOA 5 Ultimate
Fast and simple to get into, loved the new additions to the roster.
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max
Great fun experimenting with different character/Arcana combos.
Project Diva f 2nd
More of the same, but that's no bad thing. Good selection of tracks, and now looking forward to the DLC
Bullet Soul Infinite Burst
Excellent additional modes and rocking soundtrack, love this shmup.
Alien: Isolation
Incredible use of the license, IMO. It's hard to see how anyone will be able to make a better game set in that universe.
Akiba's Trip
Goofy fun that refuses to take itself seriously. Shion's route was pretty hilarious.
Thief
Think I enjoyed this almost as much as Deus Ex: HR, good atmosphere and sense of progression overall.
The Idolm@ster: One For All
A lot more laid back than the other titles, meaning you can just take things at your own pace and not care too much about schedules.