Dad makes son only play retro games for ten years

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Dad makes son only play retro games for ten years

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:10 am

If you have kids, why not make them grow up playing the stuff you did
https://medium.com/message/playing-with ... 226ff0a7c3
“I got a great dirty trick you can play on a three-year-old kid… Whenever you’re around him, talk wrong. So now it’s like his first day in school and he raises his hand, ‘May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?’”
I’m not sure if it’s a great idea to take parenting advice from 1970s standup albums, but this always made sense to me.

If you have a kid, why not run experiments on them? It’s like running experiments on a little clone of yourself! And almost always probably legal.

It’s disappointing how many people have children and miss this golden opportunity, usually waiting until they’re in their teens to start playing mindgames with them.

Before my son was born in 2004, I was prepared. I’d brainstormed a long list of sociological and psychological experiments with friends and coworkers, ready to unleash my inner Milgram on my unborn offspring.

My original plan was to raise him thinking he was living in a computer simulation, but sadly, my wife vetoed it. And any other potentially harmful, but funny, life-altering scenarios.

But I managed to sneak one in anyway.
Full story on the site

Long story short
Hes considerably better at games
He prefers Rougelikes
Hes drawn towards pixels rather than polygons

koopa42

Re: Dad makes son only play retro games for ten years

Post by koopa42 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:14 am

That's not creepy at all

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 am

Did he have a gun against the kid's head?

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:22 am

I would do something similar with any kids I ever have - I'd start them out on the old stuff and progress them on through the generations as they got older.

At the very least they'd appreciate the progress that's been made on the technology more than they would being dumped right onto the latest games console.
Where logic won't work, I will

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 am

I love old games, however, I reallly don't see why kids should be forced to play older games. Let them play what is in their era. What their friends are playing.

No matter how you dress it up, playing old games now will never be the same as it was back then. part of the excitement was sharing with friends, reading magazines etc. semms like a selfish exercise in self indulgence to me.

I grew up with the Nes and Snes. I sure as hell would not want to have been forced to play Pong machines for years before being allowed to play the stuff that was around when I was growing up.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:53 am

He was not really forced, he gave him a plug in and play and his son liked playing it, twas of a time when games where simple.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:13 pm

It wasn't for ten years, it was about four. He started when he was four and was playing Spelunky when he was eight, which is a modern game.

I don't see it as too crazy, as a four year old isn't going to be playing Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy XIV. Pac Man seems a sensible place to start.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:01 am

i'm letting mine play what they take an interest in. they've played plenty of phone/ipad games, as well as the dora/kai-lan/toy story type games on wii, and loved castle of illusion and quackshot, toe jam and earl etc on the megadrive so far. :D they're 4 and 6.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I love old games, however, I reallly don't see why kids should be forced to play older games. Let them play what is in their era. What their friends are playing.

No matter how you dress it up, playing old games now will never be the same as it was back then. part of the excitement was sharing with friends, reading magazines etc. semms like a selfish exercise in self indulgence to me.

I grew up with the Nes and Snes. I sure as hell would not want to have been forced to play Pong machines for years before being allowed to play the stuff that was around when I was growing up.
Totally agree. The kid will get the mick taken out of him at school if hes only playing old games and refuses/doesnt play any of the new games all his mates will. I mean all that crap his dad said above about his 'experiment' is creepy as anything. When my boys older of course i'll show him older games but i wont let him ONLY play older games and refuse to get him the latest consoles like all his friends will have when hes older.

A very creepy experiment by the dad. I'll let him play with whatever he wants

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:52 am

Also reminds me about a kid from my old school. Oliver.H (I wont post his surname !)

Imagine it, first year of 'big school' and this gangly kid appears with a briefcase, not just a normal briefcase but like an old 1960's style briefcase. Cue 5 years or grief for the poor lad ! Now i wasnt a bully at school but to have a briefcase (and to be the ONLY kid with one) then i'm sorry the kid deserves a bit of grief ! What on earth his dad/mum were thinking at the time, just ridiculous. All 100% true though

I did laugh years later when Greg Davies said something similar (for years they called this kid 'Baghdad' why ? Because he came to school once with a bag bought by his dad) and also of course the Inbetweeners with 'briefcase w**ker')

Anyway posted that just because this dad seems to think its 'fine' doing this strange experiment on his poor son, just let him play what he wants, if he shows an interest in his dad playing Manic Miner then of course show him

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:58 pm

My daughter plays old games and she told all of her friends about them and they all want to come over and play! Turtles in Time is the current favourite. I had to force them to stop playing after a while. She is 6.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:04 pm

thingonaspring wrote: they're 4 and 6.
I'll give you 3 shillings for them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 am

psj3809 wrote:
Totally agree. The kid will get the mick taken out of him at school if hes only playing old games and refuses/doesnt play any of the new games all his mates will. I mean all that crap his dad said above about his 'experiment' is creepy as anything. When my boys older of course i'll show him older games but i wont let him ONLY play older games and refuse to get him the latest consoles like all his friends will have when hes older.

A very creepy experiment by the dad. I'll let him play with whatever he wants
Theres a lot worse things to be taken the mick out of. Kids should be taught to be more thick skinned, resilient and be able to retort in a witty way. Its the best way to deal with censored-taking, just defuses it.

But its a good way of children appreciating history. Sometimes we get caught up in only appreciating the now. Like old films, old games can be good, if not better than new games - thats why we are here! We should defend that! :D

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Theres a lot worse things to be taken the mick out of. Kids should be taught to be more thick skinned, resilient and be able to retort in a witty way. Its the best way to deal with censored-taking, just defuses it.
Yeah, that'll work.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
thingonaspring wrote: they're 4 and 6.
I'll give you 3 shillings for them.
:lol:
let me check what they're worth on ebay first.