Top 5 ZX 81 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

BobS

Re: Top 5 ZX 81 games

Post by BobS » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:51 am

The ZX81 had a few good games at the time - Mazogs, 3D Monster Maze, and Miner 49er have already been mentioned in this thread - but as the more capable Spectrum was released soon afterwards it never really got the attention it deserved, but that doesn't mean that it should be ignored. Many successful British programmers started on the machine, and in the UK its release was pinnacle in bringing computing to the mainstream.

It would be a shame if modern games were excluded from this poll, as there have been a number of great titles written in the past few years. Yes, I have a vested interest in this, as I have personally been writing a number of games for the Zeddy exactly because I felt it was an ignored and much derided machine which was capable of far more. (Sorry psj3809, but at least I did write one Speccy game this year)

So, through the efforts of myself and others, we now have greats such as Manic Miner, Ant Attack, Hero, and Super Hexagon running on the machine, and classics such as Asteroids, Breakout, Space Invaders, and Boulder Dash given proper respect. And add to that the hardware improvements of loading from SD card, SCART output, and most recently, support for colour - this certainly isn't a dead machine.