Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega - Indiegogo campaign

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega - Indiegogo campaign

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Is it going to be named "Balrog" in Japan?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:26 pm

merman wrote:They don't have the rights, is the simple answer. They are hoping the donation to charity will assuage people.

I had a message from a Spectrum programmer on Facebook, he is very disappointed they are not paying royalties. I can see them running into problems...
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a re-think on the royalties front. Given that the original idea was to sell a thousand units and see how it went, there wouldn't be a huge pot of profits to share about. And, split a thousandfold, that would likely result in a figure barely able to cover the cost of a stamp, let alone a royalty check.

That said, given the the unprecedented demand here, we're almost certainly looking at something that's going to go into mass production. As such, I'd think it wise for the people with rights to the games that'd be most in demand to hold out. That's almost certainly going to mean no Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner or Ultimate games, unfortunately.

Still, I doubt they'll have much of a problem coming up with a thousand games in exchange for a charitable donation. They can have all of mine for starters. :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 am

The biggest problem is of course the games, you cant contact every dev out there or larger companies now own the IP and they're all lost sat in some drawer somewhere as no one cares about them anymore.

Its like Elites keyboard, before i think it was only going to play Elites Speccy games, now that most of those are gone it surely has to be able to act as a general keyboard

Same here, if they just created this device, set it up so it works as 'kempston' controls and then had an SD card reader so people can basically load up TAP Z80 files etc people can do what they want with it. If they're going to be 'legal' and only add the games they've got permission to add i cant see that working well, when old Speccy devs see this device hitting its Indigogo target instantly they'll want a piece of the pie i reckon.

But again its a great time right now, Speccy books on kickstarter being well received and looking great, this Speccy device coming out, even Elites keyboard coming out its an exciting time for a Speccy fan. Just wish i knew what Imagine were doing with the 'Crash' name they bought (but apparently not the logo ?!?)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I wonder if Atari, Commodore (or their lawful name owners) & co. will also release some retro gaming computers or consoles. Some special version of XEGS with tons of in-built games and some "mini" C=64 with likewise tons of games could be pretty desirable, imo. Not everyone's into game collecting and to re-live some of that retro glory on actual hardware (except speed-up load times) would not harm. :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:38 am

Well i've watched a few videos as they had a launch for the press/kickstarter backers the other week.

I wasnt totally convinced when i first saw the controls but it seems to work very very well indeed. Huge selection of games on it but the best thing is you can add your own. I'll be picking one up for sure, always wanted a speccy plug n play device. Again from the videos it works really well and people have come away with good impressions.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:06 am

I had pretty much dismissed this until I heard the Retro Asylum episode where they interviewed the guys involved in producing it, and was quite impressed with how they came across. I'll wait until it's had proper reviews, but I might be tempted now.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 am

Have a look at some of the videos on youtube, looks pretty good. A key thing for me is it has a memory card reader so i can add my favourite games. I'm sure it has a lot of good games on it but i'm also sure theres a fair bit of filler.

But for years we moaned about not having a gadget like this to go to the TV, there was a C64 one, Atari one etc, never a Speccy version. So i'm glad this is coming out, finally a Speccy plug n play device. Some games i'm sure will be tricky but i cant wait to play Commando/Bomb Jack on it etc

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:14 am

Treguard wrote:I had pretty much dismissed this until I heard the Retro Asylum episode where they interviewed the guys involved in producing it, and was quite impressed with how they came across. I'll wait until it's had proper reviews, but I might be tempted now.
I have ready several reviews now and they were all VERY positive. I definitely want one.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:19 am

The latest update is that they've got a PEGI 7 rating for the package and they'll be shipping the initial batch in mid-August. Those lucky few of us that got in on the Kickstarter could have our hands on them in a few weeks.

That's an impressive timescale for the thing to go from a prototype to production that rather puts a certain other project, from a company best not mentioned in polite conversation, to shame. Let's just hope they didn't cut too many corners in the process.

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:18 pm

When will they be available thru the usual outlets?

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 am

The Laird wrote:
Treguard wrote:I had pretty much dismissed this until I heard the Retro Asylum episode where they interviewed the guys involved in producing it, and was quite impressed with how they came across. I'll wait until it's had proper reviews, but I might be tempted now.
I have ready several reviews now and they were all VERY positive. I definitely want one.
Yes, I'm starting to think about getting one too. Whatever happens and however it sells, the it's already a vastly more professional affair than the Game Gadget.

I do agree with those who think £100 is steep though. The Speccy must be the only device in consumer electronics history that costs as much in 2015 as it did in 1983.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:50 am

killbot wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Yes, I'm starting to think about getting one too. Whatever happens and however it sells, the it's already a vastly more professional affair than the Game Gadget.

I do agree with those who think £100 is steep though. The Speccy must be the only device in consumer electronics history that costs as much in 2015 as it did in 1983.
Not if you take inflation into account :wink:

Also this comes with a an absolute ton of games making it much better value.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 am

killbot wrote:Yes, I'm starting to think about getting one too. Whatever happens and however it sells, the it's already a vastly more professional affair than the Game Gadget.

Does seem a bit steep but saying that i've been after something like this for years, even more so when the C64 'tv game' thing came out and not a speccy one. Plus this one you can add your own games. But this isnt made by some mainstream manufacturer so i can see why the price is a bit high. Anyway we're all working now etc and we're adults, £100 isnt too bad, come on its a mini speccy !

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 am

Got an email from Funstock saying they're going to be stocking this, may be tempted...

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 am

Always wanted a "Plug & Play" Speccy, but this is about 15-20 years too late & about 3 times the price it should have been. £100 is an awful lot of money to shell out, it doesn't even have a keyboard.

Sure you can compare the price to the price of a speccy in the 80's + inflation, but that kind of ignores the fact that it's possible to emulate it on pretty much everything that's been released with a microchip in it since the early 90's

Good luck to them, as much as a Speccy fanboy as I am, I guess this one really isn't aimed at me.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue