Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega - Indiegogo campaign

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega - Indiegogo campaign

Post by Morkin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:00 pm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinc ... ctrum-vega
The Sinclair Spectrum Vega is a new low cost games computer based on Sir Clive’s hugely successful Spectrum products of the early 1980s.

The Sinclair Spectrum Vega takes advantage of major advances in technology to achieve big cost savings by replacing most of the electronics in the earlier computer products. Instead the Vega uses a low cost micro-controller and a clever piece of software that combine to enable the Vega to run all of the games, 14,000 or more of them, which were developed during the years when some 5 million of the original Sinclair Spectrum were being sold.

The Sinclair Spectrum Vega is being marketed by Retro Computers Ltd, a Luton-based start-up in which Sir Clive’s company, Sinclair Research Ltd, is a shareholder. The development and marketing of the Sinclair Spectrum Vega is under licence from Sky In-Home Service Ltd, who inherited the intellectual property rights to the Spectrum computers from Amstrad. Development of the product is complete, and a fully-functioning prototype is ready to go into production.

The Sinclair Spectrum Vega is as simple to use as any of the popular games consoles, but far less expensive. It plugs into a TV, so no computer monitor is necessary, and comes complete with around 1,000 games built-in. The Vega has sufficient memory to allow the user to download the many additional games we will be making available from time to time free of charge.
The Vega has been developed by Chris Smith, a former ZX Spectrum games developer who is the world's leading expert on Sinclair Spectrum technology and author of the definitive technical book "The ZX Spectrum ULA: How to design a microcomputer".

Retro Computers Ltd is making arrangements with the owners of the software rights to Spectrum games to donate a combined software royalty to a charity – Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. The company’s Chairman, Dr David Levy, had his life saved by the hospital when he was diagnosed with meningitis as a 3-year-old.

This Indiegogo campaign is to raise funds to manufacture the first 1,000 units of the Vega within the UK and to prepare us for the second production run.

This is your opportunity to be one of the first to own a Vega, as well as a range of other exciting perks. These include: concept art, signed by Sir Clive Sinclair, of our original concept designs; a copy of a new book about the creation of the Sinclair Spectrum Vega; an invitation to the Vega launch party next spring; and an invitation to ‘come to dinner’ and meet some of the Retro Computers Ltd team. In addition those who pledge £50 or more will have their names added to the ‘Digital Role of Honour’ which will be embedded into the Vega’s memory, displayed on our web site (unless you choose to be anonymous) and can be displayed on the TV when using the Vega.

BennyTheGreek

Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega - Indiegogo campaign

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Hmm...

As much as I am a true lover of the speccy, I just do not quite get the point of this.

Apart from the actual hardware, emulation on basically everything including phones, consoles and toasters (mebbe not) I just don't see the actual point in buying what looks like it will just be a (very stylish) uncomfortable joypad to play speccy games.

Enough....now just stop it.

Bring out a real speccy that has hdmi output and I might be interested...as long as its less than £30....(price of raspberry pi & speccy keyboard)

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Mmm seems a bit expensive at £100. Looks lovely, but I'm not sure about that dpad, plus what if you're playing a game that requires text input - there will need to be an on screen keyboard.

I would really like this to succeed, but don't think it will - plus I would gone with KS instead
c64 > spectrum 48k

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:02 am

I was also wondering how that controller would work with text adventures etc.

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 am

Apparently there's an on screen keyboard when needed. I hope I'm right that the £100 price tag is for the initial run. It needs to be a lot cheaper to succeed.
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 am

Looks like a dumbed-down Speccy... :P

Joking aside, I'm not sure about this. As said above, pretty much every portable device these days (i.e. smartphones, tablets, handhelds, laptops, ect.) will run Speccy games thru emulation and do much more than that too. This seems more like a niche product catering to nostalgic Speccy fans than anyone else. I mean, you can get a better tiny PC for less than that (Raspberry Pi) or you can add some more and get a nice, all-in-one mini PC like the Intel NUC. Gigabyte even has some gaming ones sporting better hardware than the new consoles have... :wink:

Mentski

Post by Mentski » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 am

But even at £100 the cost of the limited edition Vega, with its 1,000 games built-in, represents a huge saving over the cost of the original product plus the cost of 1,000 of the original Spectrum games. What cost thousands of pounds back in the 1980s is now available for around 1 per cent of that amount.
...Am I the only one the looks at that rationalization for the price of this and laughs uncontrollably?
A beard with an idiot hanging off it, Writes about videogames when the apathy isn't kicking in.
http://www.rosetintedgamers.com - http://www.youtube.com/mentski

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 am

Its just such a strange design. Why not a dtv stick like the C64?

If you're only providing a partial keyboard, then QAOP Space makes more sense than adding the dpad that never existed on the Speccy.

Stranger still when you have a big release like Elite on the way to tickle the public's nostalgia, yet the original game will be barely playable on this.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:33 am

Swainy wrote:Apparently there's an on screen keyboard when needed. I hope I'm right that the £100 price tag is for the initial run. It needs to be a lot cheaper to succeed.
£100 price tag is for the initial run.

You will be able to use external keyboards with this from what I understand as well as the on-screen one.

This is an officially licensed product, backed by Sir Clive himself that used Spectrum on a chip.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:14 pm

I might take a punt on this, Personally I don't see not being able to play games like Elite on it as being a problem.
Splink!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 pm

I want to like this so much.

The first official Sinclair computer for years, but it's a HUGE missed opportunity.

Not sure why they didn't stick a keyboard on it like you can get on some PS3 controllers.

It has less functionality than buying a 48k speccy & a divide for more money.

A crying shame.

They seem to have raised £40k in 24 hours on the back of huge media exposure so good luck to them. I just feel it's yet another missed opportunity for something special, just like the Elite bluetooth thing.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:35 pm

You can plug a keyboard into it or use the on-screen one, I don't see the problem.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Would have been better though if it had been made like a rubber-keyed speccy (with all the keys) and the option to buy a wireless stick. More speccy games rely on keyboard rather than stick, and most fans of the speccy (which one can only assume this device is primarily targeted at) would be used to playing games on keyboard. Plus that would give it a major selling point over emulation devices - you can use a stick on any device, but you cant properly emulate the feel and look of the rubber keyed wonder.

Its a pity that this isn't on kickstarter with lots of graded perks, as it would likely make its target price 5 times over - it may still do now.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:06 pm

The Laird wrote:You can plug a keyboard into it or use the on-screen one, I don't see the problem.
Why bother going to the hassle and bother of fiddling about with an on screen keyboard or the faff and expense of hooking up an external keyboard when its supposed to be a dinky plug & play device.

A speccy + a divide is cheaper and less fiddley

A low end tablet and keyboard combo is cheaper and less fiddley with a LOT more functionality.

I really don't see the point in this.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:38 pm

For £100 I would expect a lot more than what is shown in the video, considering a Rasp Pi is around £30 and it has more functionality...and can emulate Speccy games.