Geometry Wars 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Geometry Wars 3

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 pm

I reckon you will like it. What's LBP 3 like?

Eat your nans pants

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:14 am

Yeah, I grabbed Resogun, it's very good except for one really huge issue: It always says WHEN Keepers are about to appear.... it never points out WHERE they're going to appear. Now, either there's some indicator that I'm not seeing (totally possible, the UI/HUD is kinda... bad), or this is just a fantastically bad design misstep. The game is very obviously modeled after Defender & Stargate, and there was a reason why those both had easy to read maps where everything stood out. It does show where dropped humans are.... but that's utterly worthless if you cant find the keepers that you only have a very short time to kill.

Other than that, it is indeed quite good. The scoring system seemed a little iffy at first.... I typically really hate chaining as a scoring mechanic, thanks to DDP.... but it turned out to work quite well for once.

As for LBP 3, it's everything I'd wanted it to be and has way more new stuff in it than I'd expected. AND total compatibility with levels from the first two games, as not even a single thing from those games is missing. However, the game released with a horrible blob of glitches; alot of people are considering it to be one of the nastiest initial release states in quite awhile. That's not TOO much of a problem, since simple patching has begun and will fix that all soon enough, but it's kinda annoying when the bugs rear their ugly heads. There are some tiny changes to certain game mechanics... mostly just tweaks... but depending on what's in the level, it can get in the way a bit. A good number of the levels I'd made myself with the first two games are basically huge bullet-hell bosses, with absurdly complicated circuits controlling complicated mechanical bits. One tiny misstep somewhere and the whole thing breaks down (and may actually shatter or explode)... it's just a TAD irritating trying to find and fix issues like that. That at least is to be expected, unlike the actual glitches.

Either way though, the game is fantastic overall.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

GW3 is really good, with a tempest 2000 vibe thrown in for good measure!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:27 am

Misery wrote:Yeah, I grabbed Resogun, it's very good except for one really huge issue: It always says WHEN Keepers are about to appear.... it never points out WHERE they're going to appear. Now, either there's some indicator that I'm not seeing (totally possible, the UI/HUD is kinda... bad), or this is just a fantastically bad design misstep. The game is very obviously modeled after Defender & Stargate, and there was a reason why those both had easy to read maps where everything stood out. It does show where dropped humans are.... but that's utterly worthless if you cant find the keepers that you only have a very short time to kill.

Other than that, it is indeed quite good. The scoring system seemed a little iffy at first.... I typically really hate chaining as a scoring mechanic, thanks to DDP.... but it turned out to work quite well for once.

As for LBP 3, it's everything I'd wanted it to be and has way more new stuff in it than I'd expected. AND total compatibility with levels from the first two games, as not even a single thing from those games is missing. However, the game released with a horrible blob of glitches; alot of people are considering it to be one of the nastiest initial release states in quite awhile. That's not TOO much of a problem, since simple patching has begun and will fix that all soon enough, but it's kinda annoying when the bugs rear their ugly heads. There are some tiny changes to certain game mechanics... mostly just tweaks... but depending on what's in the level, it can get in the way a bit. A good number of the levels I'd made myself with the first two games are basically huge bullet-hell bosses, with absurdly complicated circuits controlling complicated mechanical bits. One tiny misstep somewhere and the whole thing breaks down (and may actually shatter or explode)... it's just a TAD irritating trying to find and fix issues like that. That at least is to be expected, unlike the actual glitches.

Either way though, the game is fantastic overall.
Keepers appear in the same place each time - the game isn't random, it's in set waves. So you just learn where they come on - and they do glow :)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:54 pm

Back on this. 3-starred every level now. Planet of Peace is the hardest one to do that on I'd say.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:05 am

There's the platinum. I'm very proud of that trophy.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:There's the platinum. I'm very proud of that trophy.

Well played!
Wish I'd had more time to put into this recently.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:49 pm

I've only got Galaxies myself - admittedly both the DS and the Wii versions.
Where logic won't work, I will

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Check out the update - for free!

A new set of 40 levels
Retro Evolved and Hardcore game modes
New drones
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up - this looks great. Love GW3 - the twist into 3D gives it a Tempest vibe.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:06 am

davyK wrote:Thanks for the heads up - this looks great. Love GW3 - the twist into 3D gives it a Tempest vibe.
Oh s***. Don't tell Atari!

I quite like the new levels. Pretty hardcore to three star them though.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
davyK wrote:Thanks for the heads up - this looks great. Love GW3 - the twist into 3D gives it a Tempest vibe.
Oh s***. Don't tell Atari!

I quite like the new levels. Pretty hardcore to three star them though.
Outstanding effort for the plat!