Geometry Wars 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Geometry Wars 3

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 pm

The first two are brilliant and this looks equally as good:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/27/geometry- ... r-4964405/

a must buy for me.

koopa42

Re: Geometry Wars 3

Post by koopa42 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Geo Wars is king
Geo Wars 2 is not king

I can only assume Geo Wars 3 will be peasant

I might have a look though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Will deffo be downloading this.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:16 pm

I was looking forward to it, and then the gameplay vids went up on IGN a while back and the game just seemed to have lost the magic somehow. I've checked out a fair few broadcasts of people playing it on the XO in the last couple of days and it's not an essential purchase for me now. I might pick it up in a sale or get it if it lands on Gold as a freebie maybe. The visuals don't seem as tasty as the first two and all that 3D arena stuff looks a bit tedious and gimmicky.

Oh, and boss battles too. Crapness right there.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Will be getting it, love the series.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Demo on XBLA at mo - its pretty good - but makes my eyes go funny
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

koopa42 wrote:Geo Wars is king
Geo Wars 2 is not king

I can only assume Geo Wars 3 will be peasant

I might have a look though.

I've heard that one a few times, dont quite know why.

It's the other way around for me. The first game, I liked it well enough.... until the point when I found the "clump" happening (and this didnt take long at all). Once that happens in that game, the difficulty has entirely run out. There's none left. At that point, the first game was dead to me, still is. Granted it wasnt exactly the hardest game out there to begin with, but originally it at least gave me SOME challenge.

2nd one had alot more variety and stuff happening, in particular had alot more enemy types and game styles to choose from, so I loved that one.

This new one looks pretty darn good too. I did buy it right away, but I've been a bit distracted by a few things here (Smash Bros) and havent had a full go at it yet.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Resogun will eat its liver.

Eat your nans pants

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Geometry Wars, Retro Evolved, Waves, Galaxies, Retro Evolved 2... that's five games in the series to date, so why is this one 'Geometry Wars 3'?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:33 am

killbot wrote:Geometry Wars, Retro Evolved, Waves, Galaxies, Retro Evolved 2... that's five games in the series to date, so why is this one 'Geometry Wars 3'?
I though Geometry Wars and Waves were just minigames within a game?

The main series is GW: Retro Evolved then GW: Retro Evolved 2 and now GW 3.

Galaxies is a standalone spin off or version or whatever.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:11 am

I thought Geometry Wars 2 was gay, a lot more gay than the original which was hardcore and not happy and jovial in any way. The sequel had a more happy and throw away easier/happier outlook as a game. I assume that 3 has a good chance of being even more gay as it perky.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:39 am

GW2 was king.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:02 am

koopa42 wrote:I thought Geometry Wars 2 was gay, a lot more gay than the original which was hardcore and not happy and jovial in any way. The sequel had a more happy and throw away easier/happier outlook as a game. I assume that 3 has a good chance of being even more gay as it perky.

Feh, the original was too easy. There was a point where the difficulty completely capped, and if you reached that... you could just keep going and going. Did that, got bored with it. Not sure what your definition of "hardcore" is here, either.

Preferred later entries in the series far more.

As for this new one, it's closest to Galaxies in terms of how it all works. Alot of individual stages in the "adventure" mode, each one with it's own seperate leaderboard and such, and each having a different shape and rules and whatever. Some worlds do the new "sphere" thing, others do not. Also, the various modes from 2 are all available in this as well, complete with the same square arena they had in that game and the same rules. Those are seperate from adventure mode; there are other seperate things beyond just the set from 2, but they must be unlocked first. The ones from 2 are there right from the start.

The sphere levels play out like a particular game I cannot remember the name of.... a game that came out very early in the PS3's lifespan, you roamed around a sphere (no other shapes) and shot things, had a variety of weapons, one of which was something like this crazy fire whip.... argh. I cant remember the damn name. But the sphere levels in this play like that game did. Different tactics are needed on sphere levels than what you would do on square/flat ones.

Other than that, it's pretty much what you'd expect of Geometry Wars. Exceedingly flashy with explosions everywhere, a ton of different types of enemy shapes with different behaviors, score points as long as you can while trying not to die.... and so on. I'm finding it to be worthwhile so far.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:26 am

I think the PS3 game you're talking about is super stardust HD. When you get your PS4 try Resogun.

Eat your nans pants

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:41 pm

crusto wrote:I think the PS3 game you're talking about is super stardust HD. When you get your PS4 try Resogun.
Ah, that's right, Super Stardust. Yeesh, been quite awhile since I've played that.

Resogun I have bought, but didnt get around to trying out yet. So far it's all been setup and some of LBP3.