Text Adventure Remakes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 am

And if you want to play Infocom games on a modern machine try one of the flavours of Frotz....

http://www.d.kinder.btinternet.co.uk/frotz.html (for Windows)

Coop

driver695

Frotz is COOOOOOL

Post by driver695 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:25 pm

Hust got myself Frotz and playing Lurking Horror - with Zork, Hollywood Hijinx & Deadline waiting :)

Would love to play some old Level 9 Games too. Anyone know the best way?

Celebaglar

Re: Frotz is COOOOOOL

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:46 pm

driver695 wrote:Hust got myself Frotz and playing Lurking Horror - with Zork, Hollywood Hijinx & Deadline waiting :)

Use Gargoyle, with .sna snapshots of the spectrum versions of the game.

Gargoyle will also work with most Infocom games too, plus Magnetic Scrolls and the ones wtitten with Inform and TADS. What sets it apart is that it has a nicer layout and font rendering than the bog standard interpreters.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:53 pm

I'd love to see a remake of The Hobbit - wi;h the number of Tolkein fans , and the love for this game , surely someone would be keen on a remake?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:56 pm

The Hobbit might suffer from the obvious problem: it's a license. Ditto for any Tolkien inspired game set in Middle-Earth itself, certainly anything based directly on his works.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:12 pm

Good timing to resurrect this thread, because I can legitimately use it to plug the IF Comp 2007 - which had just started.

Check out http://ifcomp.org to download and play the entries.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

driver695

Post by driver695 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Celebaglar wrote:
driver695 wrote:Hust got myself Frotz and playing Lurking Horror - with Zork, Hollywood Hijinx & Deadline waiting :)

Use Gargoyle, with .sna snapshots of the spectrum versions of the game.

Gargoyle will also work with most Infocom games too, plus Magnetic Scrolls and the ones wtitten with Inform and TADS. What sets it apart is that it has a nicer layout and font rendering than the bog standard interpreters.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
Would want the graphics for the Mag Scr games....but this is great for L9!
THANKS SO MUCH

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:07 pm

OK, simple PC based Blitz Basic inspired remake that will cover any previous 8-bit text adventure.

Simply type in:

10 Print "What Now?"
20 Input a$
30 Print "I do not understand the term ";a$
40 goto 10

run

kept me goin for weeks.......tough stuff!!!! cannot find the short strong f**kin sword!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 pm

driver695 wrote:Would want the graphics for the Mag Scr games....but this is great for L9!
You'd need the Amiga versions of the Magnetic Scrolls games, and Gargoyle will play them complete with graphics.

* Gargoyle is just a front end for various other interpreters, but it handles the presentation better.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Celebaglar wrote:* Gargoyle is just a front end for various other interpreters, but it handles the presentation better.
Including ADRIFT and all of the other interpreters used to create the games in the IF Comp. :wink:
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:46 am

Have you mentioned the IF Comp 2007 yet? :P

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 am

Celebaglar wrote:Have you mentioned the IF Comp 2007 yet? :P
The IF Comp? Why, it had completely slipped my mind.

Thanks for reminding me!

Check out the IF Comp! It's a chance to play and review a whole bunch of free IF games, some of which are quite good and some of which are quite horrible.

Remember Kids...

HTTP://IFCOMP.ORG

Tertullian

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Has anyone ever taken a text adventure world, and turned it into an actual graphical game?
The version of HHGttG on the BBC website was accompanied by some interesting graphics. Also there was a Zork game that was made into a terrible Myst-esque type affair.

I've always fancied having a go at converting Graham Nelson's amazing game 'Curses' into a graphical format, but I feel it may not quite do it justice. Text adventures are all about the graphics you create in your head, which are usually far better than any fancy GPU.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 pm

I would love a remake of all the old Magnetic Scrolls games now that I finally know how to finish them all.

Getting them for the Atari ST back in the day and struggling for answers to the puzzles pished me off a bit!

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:58 pm

I have a question. I have the Winfrotz interpreter and Infocom games. While I can play them, I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to improve the UI.

I'm interested in a UI like the one found in the Legend games, where you had a list of the available verbs, a list of the interactive items in a room, a list of your inventory present, an automapping feature and you could move by clicking on the compass (instead of typing n,e,w,s).

Or has somebody implemented the invisiclues inside the game, so you could type help at any given point and get a hint?