Thimbleweed Park - New adventure game by Ron Gilbert

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gibberish Driftwood

Thimbleweed Park - New adventure game by Ron Gilbert

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick are kickstarting a new game, Thimbleweed Park: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... -click-adv
To fund the project they need $375 0000. They managed to reach that goal today. And there are still 23 days to go, so they should get a lot more once the kickstarter has ended.
Ever wonder what it would be like to play a classic adventure game the day it came out and experience all the surprise and charm for the very first time? Wonder no more!

Twenty-five years ago, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick created the game that introduced the world to 2D point & click adventure games. Maniac Mansion took the computer game world by storm with its compelling story, complex puzzles, cutting edge humor, engaging game play, and provided an entire generation with a new idea of what an adventure game could be. Blah blah blah...
Zomg! The graphics look just like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. And they are using the same verb interface.
So excited. This is what the Doublefine game should have been like.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

paranoid marvin

Re: Thimbleweed Park - New adventure game by Ron Gilbert

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick are kickstarting a new game, Thimbleweed Park: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... -click-adv
To fund the project they need $375 0000. They managed to reach that goal today. And there are still 23 days to go, so they should get a lot more once the kickstarter has ended.
Ever wonder what it would be like to play a classic adventure game the day it came out and experience all the surprise and charm for the very first time? Wonder no more!

Twenty-five years ago, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick created the game that introduced the world to 2D point & click adventure games. Maniac Mansion took the computer game world by storm with its compelling story, complex puzzles, cutting edge humor, engaging game play, and provided an entire generation with a new idea of what an adventure game could be. Blah blah blah...
Zomg! The graphics look just like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. And they are using the same verb interface.
So excited. This is what the Doublefine game should have been like.

I agree.

And this looks pretty exciting. I'm pretty happy to commit to a sizeable commitment (and I love the way that an extra $5 absolves you from pirating previous software!) But why do I have to open up an Amazon account to pay for it? Why can't I simply use the normal kickstarter payment method? Little bit annoyed about that tbh
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I thought all UK Kickstarter payments went through Amazon anyway?
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:29 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I thought all UK Kickstarter payments went through Amazon anyway?
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Dunno, but I can't remember having to log into Amazon or create an account with them in order to commit.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm

What do you folks think about the graphics, are they too retro, or would you have prefered if the visuals looked more like a 90s era Lucasarts game(Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle etc)?
To me the graphics are just perfect. When ever I replay Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken i prefer to play them on the C64 rather than booting up the "prettier" pc versions.
It has a lot to do with nostalgia, I guess.
Ken sent me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:12 am

Funny you say that, as I'm not loving the art style. It's very Zak McKracken, but I'm just not keen on bobble heads. I wish they'd gone for a later style. I don't mind pixel graphics, but in this instance they've picked the wrong base imo. I'd much rather have a Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle look, as for me that denotes the high point. I'm not sure the verb interface is a good idea either, I thought we'd moved beyond that. Going back to those feels clumsy now.

I can't help but feel th4y've gone this wy because it's cheap to do. I don't doubt it'll be an enjoyable, playable game, but it falls short of what I'd lime from them. On that basis, I'll wait til it turns up in a GoG sale, as I've a backlog of point n clicks from there anyway.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 am

The game does look like fun. I play scummvm games on my tab so I'm OK with clunky old fashioned controls. It's all about that humour that doesn't seem to be around these days in games.
Scott me up beamie!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Funny you say that, as I'm not loving the art style. It's very Zak McKracken, but I'm just not keen on bobble heads. I wish they'd gone for a later style. I don't mind pixel graphics, but in this instance they've picked the wrong base imo. I'd much rather have a Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle look, as for me that denotes the high point. I'm not sure the verb interface is a good idea either, I thought we'd moved beyond that. Going back to those feels clumsy now.

I can't help but feel th4y've gone this wy because it's cheap to do. I don't doubt it'll be an enjoyable, playable game, but it falls short of what I'd lime from them. On that basis, I'll wait til it turns up in a GoG sale, as I've a backlog of point n clicks from there anyway.

I agree that they would have been better going with the DOTT style graphics, although I love the verb interface which was so much better than that used in MI3. Just glad that they didn't go with the graphics used in Fandango and MI4. Looks like it's going to hit the 'talkie' level , which it really needs to to be a commercial success. Just hope they have quality voice acting like in DOTT and Atlantis, as the more modern MI talkie versions are not great.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:20 pm

That said, I'd rather have bad voice acting than none at all.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:That said, I'd rather have bad voice acting than none at all.

True; at least you can turn it off if it annoys you.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Yep, I agree about the graphics - DOTT, Monkey Island 2 & Fate of Atlantis were the high point for scumm adventures. I'm happy with the verb interface even if we lose some screen real estate. Hope the tunes will be chip tunes.
c64 > spectrum 48k

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:06 pm

kaiserpc wrote: Hope the tunes will be chip tunes.
That would be awsome, going "full retro"!
Scott me up beamie!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm excited for this as Zak McKracken is my fave SCUMM game of all time!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 pm

The game will be released this thursday.
Ken sent me.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I was excited for 2 games this year: Resident Evil 7 and Thimbleweed Park. RE7 exceeded my expectations, and from what I have seen of Thimbleweed Park, it looks like it too will be a ripsnorter, I cant wait to play it.