What's your favourite genre?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:32 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
Blade Runner was great, it recreated the feeling of the films brilliantly. Although, I did find you could quite often get stuck with no obvious place to go next to progress the story.

I kind of got the impression that there might be alternative endings to it, but I only saw one. Does anyone know?

I haven't played Guitar Hero yet (but I'm sorely tempted to order the 2 player pack from Red Octane). The other games are excellent though, even if I do suck badly at Guitaroo Man.

Do you like the Parappa games? I'm slightly embarassed to admit I have the soundtrack to both games on my mp3 player, even if it is mainly just for the track featuring De La Soul from Parappa 2.
There's certainly multiple endings in Blade Runner. I've only seen 3 personally (leaving with the replicants, leaving with Crystal, and driving off with Lucy) but I'm sure there's mant to be a few more. It certainly did have the right feel.

Guitar Hero's excellent! Only played a mate's copy for half an hour, but that was enough to convince me to order a copy yesterday.

I own, and enjoy Parappa 2, but never really played the first one. Which is better?

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am

backdrifter wrote: I own, and enjoy Parappa 2, but never really played the first one. Which is better?
Technically, Parappa 2 is bigger and better.
Just as quirky and as much fun as the original.
It's probably a case of "whichever one you encountered first" is the best.
So you wouldn't be disappointed by the first one, it's just more of the same really... you wouldn't be blown away by it.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:02 am

backdrifter wrote: I own, and enjoy Parappa 2, but never really played the first one. Which is better?
Technically, Parappa 2 is bigger and better.
Just as quirky and as much fun as the original.
It's probably a case of "whichever one you encountered first" is the best.
So you wouldn't be disappointed by the first one, it's just more of the same really... you wouldn't be blown away by it.

EDIT: Actually, scratch all that - I'm thinking of Um Jammer Lammy, not Parappa 2. I've never played Parappa 2...

D'oh!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:40 am

I've owned both. Get in Gear may be thinking of the wrong game but he's right in that they're almost identical in terms of gameplay.

The biggest step up is in graphical quality. Parappa 2 is much nicer looking than the first (as you might expect). But other than that the better one would be the one with your favourite tracks. They both have some great music (just like Gitaroo Man does!) and whichever had the better soundtrack will probably be the one you like best.

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat "Punch, Kick, It's all in the mind...", though the tune in Parappa 2 with the mellow ant that kept changing size was a personal favourite too.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:59 am

revgiblet wrote:I've owned both. Get in Gear may be thinking of the wrong game but he's right in that they're almost identical in terms of gameplay.

The biggest step up is in graphical quality. Parappa 2 is much nicer looking than the first (as you might expect). But other than that the better one would be the one with your favourite tracks. They both have some great music (just like Gitaroo Man does!) and whichever had the better soundtrack will probably be the one you like best.

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat "Punch, Kick, It's all in the mind...", though the tune in Parappa 2 with the mellow ant that kept changing size was a personal favourite too.
I agree with you on 'Punch, Kick.....'
Parappa 2 just edges it for me because of the lobster hairdresser is my favourite in terms of playing along.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:28 am

Well, youve been encouraged me to search out a copy of the original. My bank balence thanks you :P

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:28 am

... I'd still recommend Um Jammer Lammy too... :wink:

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:05 pm

In the 1980s I liked platform games horizontal or vertical, games such as "Jack The Nipper II Cocoanut Cappers, Antiriad, Back To Skool, Cybernoids 1 & 2"

Games such as "Jack The Nipper II and Back To Skool" where sort of freeroam games and i liked that.

Today i am a fan of the freeroam games such as GTA: Vice City and San Andreas on ps2.
8)
Press play on tape

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:16 pm

mine are

platformers (love stuff like mario, manic miner etc)
horror survival stylee (resi evil, silent hill stuff)
puzzle (specially tetris and bust a move)

what genre would pac man? i also really love pacman
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm

mel the bell wrote:horror survival stylee (resi evil, silent hill stuff)

Pacman is one of those classic arcade play-till-you-die games. I'd say the genre simply is arcade.

Re. horror: if you've got a 360, I strongly suggest you pick up Sega's Condemned. It's a first person horror game with very strong violence (most of the fighting is done up close. Pistols and rifles are very scarce).

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:25 pm

sven wrote:
mel the bell wrote:horror survival stylee (resi evil, silent hill stuff)

Pacman is one of those classic arcade play-till-you-die games. I'd say the genre simply is arcade.

Re. horror: if you've got a 360, I strongly suggest you pick up Sega's Condemned. It's a first person horror game with very strong violence (most of the fighting is done up close. Pistols and rifles are very scarce).
nope aint got a 360, aint getting one, aint ever played a normal xbox :)
i have a gamecube and ds mind.........but it more than likely wont be coming out for those :(
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:21 pm

mel the bell wrote: nope aint got a 360, aint getting one, aint ever played a normal xbox :)
i have a gamecube and ds mind.........but it more than likely wont be coming out for those :(
Nah, wouldn't think so. The Dreamcast is a nice console, though. I bought mine around launch day in 99, but sold it a year or so after. Kind of wish I didn't, as it did have some terrific games.

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 pm

sven wrote:
mel the bell wrote: nope aint got a 360, aint getting one, aint ever played a normal xbox :)
Nah, wouldn't think so. The Dreamcast is a nice console, though. I bought mine around launch day in 99, but sold it a year or so after. Kind of wish I didn't, as it did have some terrific games.
i want a dreamcast
saw one in the window in the local gamestation so asked about it, they didnt have one in stock??

so they have all these shrinkwrapped consoles in the window but none are for sale? :(

was £20 i think.........i have 5 dreamcast games, picked em up cheap from charity shops

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:15 pm

mel the bell wrote:
so they have all these shrinkwrapped consoles in the window but none are for sale? :(

was £20 i think.........i have 5 dreamcast games, picked em up cheap from charity shops
If it's in the window you can buy it. You DID say there was one in window didn't you? If the guy on duty wasn't there when it came in he might not be aware of it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:01 pm

Dreamcast was brill , but mine kept breaking!
These are some good games:

MSR
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
House of the Dead 2 (with guns)
Resident Evil Code Veronica

Most can be picked up cheap
PS make sure you get a vmu/memory card