What's your favourite genre?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ish

Post by Ish » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:25 am

I love old computer RPGs (as opposed to console). I'm thinking of things like the Ultima series (especially these), Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Fallout and the old SSI D&D games through to more recent titles like Planescape: Torment. Japanese console based RPGs just don't really do it for me in the same way although I did greatly enjoy Paper Mario on the N64 and its sequel on the GameCube.

I also like shooters. Graidus. R-Type. Salamander. Defender. Robotron. The list goes on and on :)

I've gone off RPGs in recent years though. The stories in the more modern examples seem to lack depth and I can't cope with another case of RPG character "amnesia". I still replay the old games of course!

Shooters I still love.

Glad to see Jagged Alliance 2 getting some mentions. What a game....
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:10 am

Glad to see Jagged Alliance 2 getting some mentions. What a game....
Still waiting for another sequel here. But as XCOM:Apocalypse was my absolute favorite (besides JA2), the two sequels, Aftermath and Aftershock, were really disappointing. I hope they'll release a JA3, but I want them to keep the isometric view, I don't like this genre of game in fully 3D environment, the overview isn't that good.

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:50 am

Im sure Ive posted here once.Anyway Ive found myself having a real compulsion for all things Anime Super Deformed Robot.In particlar Super Robot Wars,and Im a bit partial to the strategy side of SD gundam games aswell.SD meaning Super Deformed.Im a huge fan of turnbased Strategy and Strategy RPG so it was inevitable I end up hunting down the fantastic turn based strategyRPG that are the Super Robot Wars Games.

There's about 25 games in the series or something like that and they've been released on Every console in Japan since the very first one on GB in 1991.Of course the're a bit more Epic now but even the older generation SRW games have certain an unparalleled charm and style.

It leaves them completely unchallenged as easily the market leaders in TRPG and Turn based Strategy.Even Fire Emblem,Disgaea and Final Fantasy tactics only gape in amazement at these games,and they often borrow the ideas that were initially in the SRW games first.Especially after the huge refinements and innovations that these little Squat Robots offer to the Turn based Strategy genre in their 15 year history.Simply amazing games highly recommended whther you are fluent in Japanese or not.

sven

Post by sven » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:04 am

Adventures. I love adventures. Dead simple.

I loved text adventures, even though I routinely got mad at the games for having such a horrible parser.

I loved the graphic adventures. I remember quite vividly the first time I played King's Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. With King's Quest, it was the exploration and the incredible sensation of being *in* an adventure with such fantastic graphics. With Larry, it was the fantasy of, well, you know. :)

Of course, I loved all of Sierra's Quest games. I even have a copy of Hero's Quest for the Amiga, which I suspect is rather rare. Not that I'd ever sell it.

I also loved every other adventure game that I've played, from Lucasarts incredibly funny games to mystery games (Deja Vu I / II (which for the ultimate retro kick, has to be run on an unexpanded Amiga 1000), Cruise for a corpse), scifi (Beneath a steel sky, Innocent until caught), to the truly bizarre (It came from the desert!, Gnome Ranger/Ingrid's Back!).

So adventures it is. And arcade adventures and the *good* rpgs of old, like Alone in the Dark, Ultima Underworld/V-VI-VII. Then there's the undefinables, such as the original Civilization, and Populous.

I also love the good arcade and platform romps I grew up with, like Robotron, Bubble Bobble etc. I really dig having Robotron (and geowars) on the 360. This alone makes the outlay worthwhile.

So, erhm. My favourite genre? I have so many, I can't pick one.

I don't like sports games, though... Except for Kick Off and California Games. I think I broke my first C64 stick on Winter Games (or maybe it was Combat school).

I'm not that fond of racers either... Except for Stunt car racer and GTA. Scratch that. I don't like realistic racers.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Swainy wrote:Decent scrolling beat em ups, not that there are that many. That are decent, that is.
As long as that doesn't include the atrocious Double Dragon mate ;)
The arcade DD was great (if you dodn't just use the elbow continually).
The home versions were total crap tho.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:05 am

Those 2D arcade style action/platformers in the style of Shinobi/ Strider/ Shadow Warrior/ Bionic Commandos/ Contra/ Metal Slug.

The megadrive was absolutely loaded with them.

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:53 am

SirClive wrote:The arcade DD was great (if you dodn't just use the elbow continually).
Hehe. My buddy and I completed the game almost solely by using the elbow attack. I was really bummed when I found out that this move didn't work half as good on the C64 and the Amiga versions (but, yeah, they were crap anyway, so no big loss really).

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:45 pm

sven wrote:
SirClive wrote:The arcade DD was great (if you dodn't just use the elbow continually).
Hehe. My buddy and I completed the game almost solely by using the elbow attack. I was really bummed when I found out that this move didn't work half as good on the C64 and the Amiga versions (but, yeah, they were crap anyway, so no big loss really).
My mate and I would sometimes use the elbow to complete the game just so we could scrap each other to win the girl. Passed half an hour or so for 10p, bargain!!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Busy chatting and forgot to put my faves down...

I loved Ratchet & Clank on the new shiny non-retro type boxes of delight, what genre is that called?

Also very suprised at the lack of support for Footy games, yes we all think EA are the devil for the neverending franchise (I may be accused of blasphemyin the kingdom of pro-evo, but Konami have now become a slightly smaller devil with their efforts). But footy games have probably swallowed the most of my time (Matchday was the grandad of all good footy sims, but Kick-off 2 is the Daddy!).

Also like side on platformers and those that are in between (Pandemonium on the PS1 and the likes).

Love old Shmups, but after R-Type I kind of lost interest (nothing really beat it for me).

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:07 pm

SirClive wrote:
My mate and I would sometimes use the elbow to complete the game just so we could scrap each other to win the girl. Passed half an hour or so for 10p, bargain!!
Sure was. They eventually replaced it with an Operation Wolf-machine (with the gun and all) over here. That was funny for like two minutes and cost the equivalent of one of your pounds to play. Turned me cold, that.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Can I cheat?
I've suddenly been so lucky that my very close video shop have gotten a pinball machine called Theater of Magic (they had the Addams Family first, but it broke down in an instant).
Pinball games are just so fantastic. Computer versions too (ok, there have been a very few stinkers, but even Night Mission Pinball (1981. Apple. Remember something called retro?) is fab.

(Oh yeah, replay is set to 200.000.000 and I have begun getting past that.)

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Good old point 'n' clickers/adventure games for me. I dread to think how many times I've played through the various Lucas Arts/Blade Runner/The Longest Journey/Still Life etc.....

Closely followed by strategy games, especially the Civlization games. Completely screwed up my GCSE's playing too much Civ II.

Special mention to whatever genre you'd put the likes of Amplitude/Frequency/Guitar Hero/Gitaroo Man too. I may not be too good with them, but I loe them all the same.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:30 am

I just thought of another that is right up there with my previous post. I can't separate them, make it my joint favourites.

Multi-event / multi-discipline sports games like the US Gold /EPYX games on the C64 - Winter Games, California Games etc. In terms of multiplayer fun I can't fault them.

Then there are the all-time classics like Track and Field, Hypersports, and the Virtua Athlete (all of which are still amazing)

Also, I recommend Segs Sports Jam on the Dreamcast. Great fun.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:38 am

backdrifter wrote:Good old point 'n' clickers/adventure games for me. I dread to think how many times I've played through the various Lucas Arts/Blade Runner/The Longest Journey/Still Life etc.....
Blade Runner was great, it recreated the feeling of the films brilliantly. Although, I did find you could quite often get stuck with no obvious place to go next to progress the story.

I kind of got the impression that there might be alternative endings to it, but I only saw one. Does anyone know?
backdrifter wrote:Special mention to whatever genre you'd put the likes of Amplitude/Frequency/Guitar Hero/Gitaroo Man too. I may not be too good with them, but I loe them all the same.
I haven't played Guitar Hero yet (but I'm sorely tempted to order the 2 player pack from Red Octane). The other games are excellent though, even if I do suck badly at Guitaroo Man.

Do you like the Parappa games? I'm slightly embarassed to admit I have the soundtrack to both games on my mp3 player, even if it is mainly just for the track featuring De La Soul from Parappa 2.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 am

I think that there were apparently about 20 different endings in Bladerunner.