What's your favourite genre?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:00 pm

I like all genres except complex RPGs, Zelda is fine anything else exceeds my geek tollerance. Also dont like sports except Tony Hawks games and most movie tie-ins.

Retroscrooge

Post by Retroscrooge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm

RPGs. Everything from ADoM to Morrowind. I love these games.

Don't particularily like Japanese RPGs, mainly because of the random combat, which is just bad game design.
Retrogaming since 1895.

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Retroscrooge wrote:RPGs. Everything from ADoM to Morrowind. I love these games.

Don't particularily like Japanese RPGs, mainly because of the random combat, which is just bad game design.
I found morrowind to have THE worst combat system - EVER (PC version)

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:10 am

I like RPGs and strategy games (turn-based or otherwise).

If pressed I'd say I prefer the western style of RPG (e.g. Dungeon Master) over the eastern style (e.g. Final Fantasy) simply because I prefer the create-your-own-character sandbox style than the epic-storyline-but-have-to-play-as-a-sword-wielding-guy-with-stupid-haircut style.
Last edited by revgiblet on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:17 am

I like most styles, notable exceptions being stealth and sports.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:41 am

About a page and a half in to this thread I thought I was going to be in the minority but glad to see a few saying RPG and Strategy. From Nethack onwards, always loved RPGs and I still think Dune II is one of the best strategy games ever.
Also loved Master of Magic, a £3 game by Mastertronic on the Speccy, oh and Heavy on the Magick, it really tested your typing skills and had lovely graphics for the day. Archon and Archon II are great two-player games and on a similar note Celtic Legends on the Amiga and Legend was also a great RPG on the Amiga, it let you really customise your spellcasting like no other game had before.

Yes, definitely RPG and Strategy, with maybe a bit of shootem-up thrown in for good measure, (Paradroid and Forgotten Worlds mostly)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:37 am

Driving and shmups for me, with a hint of platform action. Run & gunners are always good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Voidoid

Post by Voidoid » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:05 pm

I really don't have a favourite, it all depends on the individual game. I love any simple Space Invaders type games that go on forever. I also like strategy games and the occasional text adventure.
Shut up Clive!

beesty

Post by beesty » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 pm

2D shooters(you cant beat-em)

FPS's I just love em

Driving Games I just love drivin em
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:38 am

Early true 3d games like Hard Drivin, SNES Starfox, starglider, virus, Hunter etc. Not so much forGame play but just like the look of it.

As for gameplay, gotta be shmups, Halleys Comet (MAME) or Harmful Park (PSX).
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

beesty

Post by beesty » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 pm

Tempest X on PS1 has to be one of my all time fave shooters,I think you could even call it retro now as it seems such a long time since I had a blast
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:27 pm

RPGs

2D beat em ups

Shoot em ups

In that order, although i do like games that tend to blend boundaries or do something new.

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Shoot em ups , especially old school , Galaxian , Space invaders, , R-Type etc etc .

Also sports games , Kick Off 2 and Speedball 2 :D

sandinista

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:20 am

Probably between RPG, turn based war/strategy games, and graphic adventures (although I like all genres).

I think with all the strategy / rpg / adventure fans we should really have a dedicated section in the mag. It mostly seems to focus on the arcade style games.

I wish someone would remake Sorcerer Lord (turn based fantasy war game). I'll probably get around to it myself though as no one else seems to have ever played it!

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 am

On PC I prefer games like the XCOM series and of course Jagged Alliance 2, and I like to play space shooters like Freespace, Freelancer or X1-3. I'm not into FPS, I don't like them much, mainly install some of them, to admire the graphics, but only play them for 10 minutes.

I like RPGs, mainly japanese anime style. I never had a console, and my first one was a PSX, only because it had so many RPGs that I had to buy one. I played FF7 and FF8 on the PC, and whilst playing FF7, I fell in love with the genre. And I don't care about good or bad graphics, it's the gameplay itself and the plot which gets me glue'd to the screen. The first RPG I played has to be Temple of Apshai, Bard's Tale and then I began to play the SSI RPGs like Champions of Krynn and Buck Rogers (finished both of them).

I like sports games of course, all sort, even games like Speedball or Projectyle. Stadium64 has a great site of all sports games for C64, awesome site. Back in 1984/85 I collected every single soccer game, even though, most (about 95%) of them were pure crap. Think of Five a Side soccer, pure crap, but I played it very often with friends, and with the old Soccer (from Andrew Spencer), I created myself leagues on paper, I was just crazy about that game.

Driving games have a place in my favorites too. Who can forget games like Test Drive, Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge (or what exactly was the name) or Stunt Car Racer. And racing games are still cool nowadays, they're releasing some great stuff like the Burnout series or NFS and of course Gran Turismo.

I also like adventure games, I don't need to mention that all those LucasArts games are superb, and it is great that all those can still be played on newer PCs over ScummVM. Thus my all time favorite adventure is Simon the sorcerer, I even enjoyed it more (both ones), than the MI series.

But as I'm still a retro gamer, I prefer games like Jumpman jr., Paradroid, Bruce Lee (all time favorite), Archon and many others over the last generation PC or consoles. (If I had to list all the games I likes or even loved, the list would be nearly infinite, so I'm not going to do that right now!)

Conclusion is that there isn't really a genre that I prefer, if I had to choose I would say RPG, but there are not many genres that I don't like, and then again if I had to choose, those would be FPS.