What's your favourite genre?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

What's your favourite genre?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:01 pm

Everyone has a particular type of game they enjoy, so what's yours?

I'm a huge fan of shmups, both horizontal and vertical and can play them until the cows come home. In my mind they require the core mechanics for any skilled gamer, it's all about the reactions and skill levels.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 pm

I think I like games that involve mixing genres to some degree.

For example, on my C64, the Last Ninja series which involved fighting and exploration. Or Citadel / Paradroid, which involved blasting things, but also contained an element of strategy.

It would seem that in general, I prefer any game (genre) which requires me to excercise my brain cells to some extent, as opposed to my less than lightning quick reactions... :)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:43 pm

I really dig arcade-adventures - The sort of multi-screen game where you have to explore and figure out puzzles.

I can also play Shooters in the Gradius/R Type vein till the cows come home...or till my girlfriend moans about wanting to watch telly! :lol:

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 am

Decent scrolling beat em ups, not that there are that many. That are decent, that is.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 am

Swainy wrote:Decent scrolling beat em ups, not that there are that many. That are decent, that is.
As long as that doesn't include the atrocious Double Dragon mate ;)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 pm

Tough choice, probably shooters (both horizontal and vertical) or platformers, you know, the type we all got sick of in the 90s. Never really been into sports games apart from the odd one, Sensible Soccer, Fifa 96 spring to mind, but thats about it.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:59 pm

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2 or Bruce Lee on the C64 as my all time fave. Hmmmmm...... come to think of it, maybe The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is my number one.

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:13 am

Manic Miner made me love platformers forever.

Also a lover of arcade adventures (or Aardvarks to the Zzap! crowd :D ). I don't know why the term went out of favour - I much prefer it to the crappy action RPG tag that stuff gets these days. Stuff like Starquake, Underwurlde, Cadaver etc

Can anyone recommend any decent arcade adventures for the GBA (not RPG's)? Apart from the Zelda and Metroid titles that is.

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:33 am

I've always been in love with turn-based strategy games for some reason. The likes of Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Vandal Hearts, X-Com and so on really do it for me.

They're great because you can choose to take them at a relaxed pace or you can exploit every last tactic to get the most out of a squad. Taking turns is great too so you can enjoy a cup of coffee and a bacon butty in between moves.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:43 am

A very difficult choice. I grew up playing platformers & still play them a fair bit nowadays, but I suppose out of all genres, I play puzzlers the most. I'd love to get back into the adventure genre though.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 am

When it comes to retro I'll say platform games and shooters. And a puzzle game now and then.

romanista

Post by romanista » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:30 am

vertical shmup's, sensi games, civ/advance wars (but not all turnbased stuff)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:03 pm

Shmups, vertical and horizontal (though I do have a bias towards horis). I did used to have a tendency to play too many of them and not really improve at any individual game. I had a bit of a clearout and now focus on doing well in a handful of favourites.

Other than that, when the mood takes me I can get thoroughly stuck into a console RPG. As long as there's plenty of character stat micromanagement and an absence of random encounters I'm sorted.

My main gaming time is spent on a bunch of MMORPGs though. EVE Online, FFXI and WoW.

FFXI and WoW will almost certainly be ditched when Phantasy Star Universe makes an appearance, but I'll play EVE for as long as I'm playing games, I think.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:57 pm

Good to see the Shmup fans coming out of the woodwork ;)

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I love driving games myself and I'm a fan of old skool Platform games, none of this 3D marlarkey :lol: