Your most exciting time in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Your most exciting time in gaming

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:13 pm

koopa42 wrote:Yep, it's about 60 pages longer than the usual too with lots of 'turn to this page minus this page' meaning no cheating unless you found certain items, it also had that mechanic to get to AND beat the baddie. It also had 2 or 3 official endings :o I have 2 copies :oops: and one is always in my bedstand

Starship Traveller was always the toughest one for me; never succesfully got home.

One of my major disappointments in gaming was the release of Deathtrap Dungeon and finding out it was a crappy TR wannabe.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Nemesis wrote:
gman72 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: As I mentioned, this was purely about graphics, and not gameplay. It's also personal opinion, and I must admit that I see most gaming through rose-tinted specs! :D
yeah, but saying you don't like the look of a game because it isn't photo realistic yet prefer spectrum graphics is an opinion that is rather at odds with itself.
I'm not sure that's what he said though. He said he didn't like the look of the game because it was trying to be photorealistic and failed not because it was realistic in the first place.

That's right. I was saying something that does the job well is better than something which aims higher but fails.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

I didn't think it was photo realistic. Just modern graphics... if you don't like modern graphics that's your choice.
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I don't think the game is trying to be photorealistic, it is just pushing the hardware as much as it can.
People would complain if a new RPG came out and they scaled back the graphics to capture the feel of some etchings in an old book.

Depends. If (for example) a new Judge Dredd game is released and it looks like the 2000AD magazine, I don;t think many people would complain. It's all about how it's pulled off. Look at cell shading; not pushing graphics to the limit, but when done well looked very nice indeed.

As for photo-realism in Skyrim; I don't know what the programmers intended, but for me they look like they're trying to look as realistic as possible - or should I say more realistic than the technology allows. This seems to give them a bit of a 'washed out' look, much like many of the early 3D games (the kind that gave me motion sickness when I played them). Give me the colourful, less realistic graphics of Far Cry any day.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm

gman72 wrote:I didn't think it was photo realistic. Just modern graphics... if you don't modern graphics that's your choice.

Yeah maybe you're right there. I prefer more colouful, 'gamey' graphics; and I also prefer 2D most of the time. Blame it on my age! :lol:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:37 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Yep, it's about 60 pages longer than the usual too with lots of 'turn to this page minus this page' meaning no cheating unless you found certain items, it also had that mechanic to get to AND beat the baddie. It also had 2 or 3 official endings :o I have 2 copies :oops: and one is always in my bedstand

Starship Traveller was always the toughest one for me; never succesfully got home.

One of my major disappointments in gaming was the release of Deathtrap Dungeon and finding out it was a crappy TR wannabe.
You didn't like Deathtrap Dungeon? I always thought it was the best book.
Scott me up beamie!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:

You didn't like Deathtrap Dungeon? I always thought it was the best book.

Sorry , no I meant the videogame. The book itself is one of the best , right up there with Freeway Fighter (my favourite)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

Sorry , no I meant the videogame. The book itself is one of the best , right up there with Freeway Fighter (my favourite)
Lol oh yea that sh1tty game. I completed that turd just because it was my favourite gamebook. Oh to be young and stoopid again.
Scott me up beamie!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Trail of the Champions (the other FF book in my nightstand)! Way better than Deathtrap Dungeon

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:58 pm

koopa42 wrote:Trail of the Champions (the other FF book in my nightstand)! Way better than Deathtrap Dungeon
Isn't that Deathtrap Dungeon 2? I haven't read that one since it came out.
Scott me up beamie!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Yep

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:35 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
That's right. I was saying something that does the job well is better than something which aims higher but fails.
I agree. It's why so many retro games are so abysmal. The poor speccy & C64 trying to ape the arcades with their humble resources etc. Constantly attempting something "higher" and really failing. It was all crap really. I don't know why they even bothered.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:16 bit era. SNES and Amiga - amazing gaming machines, and the DOS stuff around the time was pretty fantastic too, with Doom and Sim City 2000.

Yeah there was some real exciting, innovative stuff around this time in PC gaming, esp with the advent of the CD-ROM and 'talkie' SCUMM games like DOTT and Atlantis. It's what made me change from my 'miggy to PC.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I used to really love the FF books. Managed to get a copy of Masks of Mayhem (the first one I ever owned) the other day. And a copy of the first Lone Wolf book, too - I never had those as a kid but remember people saying they were good.

I might start collecting gamebooks again. I had a lot when I was a kid but most ended up in the bin or charity shops when I left home to go to uni. I had a lovely box set of the Sorcery! books which has probably bitten the dust now, but I might dig around in my parents' loft and see if it turns up.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:34 pm

As a mahoosive FF fan I even like the trilogy of novels that were written. The Trolltooth Wars, Demonstealer and Shadowmaster, while not literary classics, were always favourites of mine. The world was so visceral and had so much lore. Pants to the upcoming Warcraft film, I want a big budget movie based on the world of Titan.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!