Your most exciting time in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

Re: Your most exciting time in gaming

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Real life? Dragons and magic? :?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:01 pm

koopa42 wrote:Real life? Dragons and magic? :?

HAha, maybe!

Should have said photo-realistic; is that how it's still termed these days?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I like to play games that look like games. Skyrim tries to play as though it's real life, and fails. Trying to make a game look better than current technology can handle is commendable, but doesn't work; and when technology comes along which CAN do it properly and it will really be shown up. I'm thinking of stuff like many of the early 3d games which wowed people at the time, but now look really ropey. Funnily enough, Skyrim kinda gives me motion sickness like some of the early 3D games did

This is purely commenting on graphics and not the gameplay, and is my own personal opinion, so I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one!
Wait, so are you saying there is no point in doing any game until it can be done properly. That would mean we would just keep on waiting and waiting. The industry moves forward by pushing limits.

Then you go and mention you prefer the speccy graphics on the earlier comparison, surely that comment is the complete opposite of what you have just said. :?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I like to play games that look like games. Skyrim tries to play as though it's real life, and fails. Trying to make a game look better than current technology can handle is commendable, but doesn't work; and when technology comes along which CAN do it properly and it will really be shown up. I'm thinking of stuff like many of the early 3d games which wowed people at the time, but now look really ropey. Funnily enough, Skyrim kinda gives me motion sickness like some of the early 3D games did

This is purely commenting on graphics and not the gameplay, and is my own personal opinion, so I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one!
Wait, so are you saying there is no point in doing any game until it can be done properly. That would mean we would just keep on waiting and waiting. The industry moves forward by pushing limits.

Then you go and mention you prefer the speccy graphics on the earlier comparison, surely that comment is the complete opposite of what you have just said. :?
I prefer the Speccy graphics partly due to nostalgia, partly because (as I mentioned) they are close to the sketches in the book itself and partly because they don't try to do more that the computer is capable of.

Photo-realistic graphics only look that way if you have the right graphics engine and the right CPU/graphics card to do the job properly. So Avatar (for example) looks realistic (as far as that goes) whereas Skyrim doesn't. The closest thing I can compare it with is Tomb Raider on PS1 vs Mario 64 on N64 ; at the time TR was ground-breaking and looked ace (compared to other games of the time), but is now massively showing it's age because it pushed the graphical boundaries further than was capable at the time. Does that mean TR was or is a bad game? No. but does it look like it's aged? Yes.

It's hard to describe in words, but I prefer games that stick within the boundaries of what is possible , and make them look and play as great as they can. Which is why I prefer Elite over Frontier, Prince of Persia over Prince of Persia 3D etc. Does that mean that games shouldn't push the boundaries? Of course, but that doesn't necessarily make them great games, and usually they are the ones that don't stand the test of time.

As I mentioned, this was purely about graphics, and not gameplay. It's also personal opinion, and I must admit that I see most gaming through rose-tinted specs! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:32 pm

I would also add that I like 2D gaming far more than 3D (I absolutely love 2D RPGs like Baldurs Gate, Fallout 1+2, Planescape Torment) so that also affects my judgement!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:47 pm

It has to be mid-late 80's to mid 90's for me, which ties in with when I swapped micros for consoles. I'll never forget reading that Tony Takoushi article on the PCE and thinking "how can it get better than this? "Plus the arcade scene was fantastic, I really miss that. I could go on more but I would only be repeating what has been said by loads of you already. The magazines also contributed to the buzz too, and I suppose being young and largely carefree just ices the cake :D .

Like koopa I took "timeout" not long after the PS1 arrived, to pursue a mad few years of clubbing, women etc but soon came back to my consoles.

I enjoyed the PS2 but it was the 360 and PS3 that really gave me my buzz back and got me completely hooked again. On paper this is obviously the best era to be a gamer so far. But in terms of nostalgia? No way. If I was 14 in 2014 I would be seriously excited!

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: As I mentioned, this was purely about graphics, and not gameplay. It's also personal opinion, and I must admit that I see most gaming through rose-tinted specs! :D
yeah, but saying you don't like the look of a game because it isn't photo realistic yet prefer spectrum graphics is an opinion that is rather at odds with itself.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:35 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone else prefer the Speccy graphics?
If that is supposed to be the same scene, then yes.

Something about the perspective that feels more correct for a small hobbit.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:59 am

gman72 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: As I mentioned, this was purely about graphics, and not gameplay. It's also personal opinion, and I must admit that I see most gaming through rose-tinted specs! :D
yeah, but saying you don't like the look of a game because it isn't photo realistic yet prefer spectrum graphics is an opinion that is rather at odds with itself.
I'm not sure that's what he said though. He said he didn't like the look of the game because it was trying to be photorealistic and failed not because it was realistic in the first place.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:33 am

I don't think the game is trying to be photorealistic, it is just pushing the hardware as much as it can.
People would complain if a new RPG came out and they scaled back the graphics to capture the feel of some etchings in an old book.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 am

Hmm give me the hand drawn illustration or the speccy wobbly lines, the modern one is just 3D models placed on a grid. 3D can be done well with lots of imagination. I am super biased though I'm into fantasy illustration myself and lernt from copying fighting fantasy and Tolkienesque books.

*Learnt* lol
Last edited by Scratch_Porkings on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott me up beamie!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 am

Off topic, I'd pay for a simple digital version of Creature of Havoc FF book, the story is boss and it's the best FF of the lot.

edit:

Several years ago I looked into simple game making programs to see if I could do it LOL

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am

koopa42 wrote:Off topic, I'd pay for a simple digital version of Creature of Havoc FF book, the story is boss and it's the best FF of the lot.

edit:

Several years ago I looked into simple game making programs to see if I could do it LOL
It's the hardest normal FF book that I've played, follows obscure plotting and the crazy language in it was nigh on unfathomable. Good story though, Zharradan Marr was an ace villain. The Crown of Kings (from the Sorcery books) was also ball bustingly hard if I remember correctly.
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 am

Yep, it's about 60 pages longer than the usual too with lots of 'turn to this page minus this page' meaning no cheating unless you found certain items, it also had that mechanic to get to AND beat the baddie. It also had 2 or 3 official endings :o I have 2 copies :oops: and one is always in my bedstand

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 pm

16 bit era. SNES and Amiga - amazing gaming machines, and the DOS stuff around the time was pretty fantastic too, with Doom and Sim City 2000.