Your most exciting time in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Your most exciting time in gaming

Post by errolwd40 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 pm

I was just wondering what was everybody's most exciting time in gaming?

For me it was around the mid 90's during the build up and launch of the original playstation. I had a snes and a megadrive at the time but the idea of trading sonic and mario world for the likes of ridge racer and tekken was incredible.

I bought every magazine from games master, games world, ultimate future games and cvg pouring over every screenshot of playstation/saturn games, I almost fell off my chair when sega decided to launch the saturn early (big mistake in hindsight).

I don't think we will ever see the sort of graphical leap we saw during this period ever again, gaming was cool for the first time thanks to sony's great advertising and games such as tomb raider, resident evil and wipeout. :)

Negative Creep

Re: Your most exciting time in gaming

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 pm

I'd also go for the launch of the PS1 - all I knew of Sony was they made tvs, but suddenly here was this console that looked cool and you could see instantly that the launch titles were far beyond what the SNES could ever have hoped to produce. My parents bought me one for Christmas with just the demo disc, but I did sneak it out the box a few times to give it a test drive. It also marked the first time I'd really experienced voice acting or fmv, (the novelty hid how awful it really was). Then you had games like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil, which were completely new to me

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:19 pm

'89-'05.

Era-wise, the 90's. By far, too.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Two to choose from.

First being my unwrapping of my megadrive at Christmas.

Second was seeing the ps1 on games master and thinking "I have got to get one of those". At the age of 15 took the hard sad decision to sell my megadrive to fund the buying of the ps1. This was due to my parents having no money but giving me the ok to sell everything. I finally got the funds and my dad drove me round almost all day on his birthday (December 28th) till we found one at toys r us.

To say we both loved playing on it when we got home was an understatement.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I have to say 1983-1991. C64 and Amiga were the two big ones in my life - PC was a good one but it could never replace the two Commodores. Lots of genuine ideas and space for imagination.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:40 pm

errolwd40 wrote:I was just wondering what was everybody's most exciting time in gaming?

For me it was around the mid 90's during the build up and launch of the original playstation. I had a snes and a megadrive at the time but the idea of trading sonic and mario world for the likes of ridge racer and tekken was incredible.

I bought every magazine from games master, games world, ultimate future games and cvg pouring over every screenshot of playstation/saturn games, I almost fell off my chair when sega decided to launch the saturn early (big mistake in hindsight).

I don't think we will ever see the sort of graphical leap we saw during this period ever again, gaming was cool for the first time thanks to sony's great advertising and games such as tomb raider, resident evil and wipeout. :)
Exactly this.

I was a total Sega fanboy so I was heavily Saturn biased for the first few months but I bought a ps1 within 6 months.

bought all the mags tho.
Thoughts and prayers.

useyournightvision

Post by useyournightvision » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Sixth gen easily.
So many amazing games and systems.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Now. 360? greatest console of all time, has been for years and will continue to be for at least a couple more .....and on the rare occasions the current gen hit's it's stride? also just too astonishingly good.

Current and last gen gaming owns both best gaming currently has to offer and also what is to come.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 pm

a four to five year period between around 89 - 94

discovering the NES and the pure joy of playing Zelda, Mario, Megaman, probotectoe, Double dragon 2.

Followed by the megadrive and Snes. a pure golden period.

not to mention the only way we got to find out about games were magazines, back then getting the latest mag was a momentous occasion. The mags were great as well, Super play, mean machines etc.

The arcade scene, going to the arcades to play wrestlefest, Final fight, Turtles, Simpsons etc.

Running home from school to watch gamesmaster, bad influence, gamesworld, and talking about it all day in school the next day.

It will never ever get better than that for me.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:52 pm

koopa42 wrote:Now. 360? greatest console of all time, has been for years and will continue to be for at least a couple more .....and on the rare occasions the current gen hit's it's stride? also just too astonishingly good.

Current and last gen gaming owns both best gaming currently has to offer and also what is to come.

have to admit and agree, the 360 did reignite gaming for me. I enjoyed the GC, Xbox, and PS2, but it was more of a detached enjoyment.

Some people on here like to distort reality and somehow try and convince themselves that modern gaming and games are not really different to ps1 games. Sorry but to me the online, HD, power for devekopers to build whatever worlds they wanted was in fact a huge leap in gaming to me.

but the NES-MD-Snes era is just too special for me, as much as I love the 360 it will never be abetter experience, despite the games being better.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm

for nostalgic reasons

the SNES was the pinnacle of gaming for me, the graphical boost was amazing compared to the NES, some of the best versions of Nintendo franchises (Super Mario World, A Link To The Past), great 3rd party support (Prince Of Persia, Syndicate, Super Double Dragon, International Superstar Soccer, Illusion of Gaia)

for factual reasons (game time spended)

the Xbox360 (and in lesser part PS3) with games like Mass Effect 1-3, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deadly Premonition, Dark Souls 1-2 and lesser gods like Binary Domain, Red Faction Armageddon, sometimes even guilty pleasures like The Cursed Crusade

combine this with the best handheld ever release in terms of available games (which is the Nintendo DS Lite, with Ace Attorney 1-3, Mario & Luigi, Final Fantasy III remaster, Etrian Odyssey and much more) and this easily beats any other moment (though every period has its highlights)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Nothing can top mid to late 80's for me (84-89). Most exciting time easily.

The Amiga going into the 90's was great though, as was and still is PC gaming.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:47 am

I did like the ST/Amiga war 89'ish and Megadrive vs Snes. It was like Mods verses Rockers for nerds.
Scott me up beamie!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 am

Upgrading my atari 800 to my ST in 1988/89. Moving from cassette tapes to disks seemed a massive leap to me! Getting back into gaming in 2006ish with the 360 then PS3 and the discovery of easy to use emulation was great too!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 am

Mid 80s to mid 90s, the Amigas heyday.

So many great games for that machine, nothing comes close in my eyes.