Xbox One year ....er .... one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

koopa42

Xbox One year ....er .... one

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am

So it's been here nearly a year, what are your thoughts then? If you own one that it, don't come blathering into this thread if you haven't got/had one. I'm not interested if you played CoD Ghosts for 3 minutes on your mates love sock encrusted bed.

For me? They are turning it around, slowly over all but faster of late. At last there are top end games but still kinda thin on the ground as a whole (for me anyway) but that has allowed proper time to be put into the games I've liked.

The quick version is:

Ace games: Battlefield 4, Diablo 3 (my GotY), Dead Rising 3, Lego Marvel, Peggle 2
Good games: Powerstar Golf, Max Curse of the Brotherhood, Lego Hobbit, Thief, PGR5
Meh to poor: Wolfenstein, most of the freebies, Titanfall, FIFA
Dashboard: Still a bit wrong but less wrong than before, sort of.
Apps: terrible lack of them

There are deffo games that are next (well now current) gen that I have to be honest about and say are also available on the older consoles but I have to add Dead Rising 3 would never be and Diablo 3 and BF4? just laughable on older machines.

I hated (yes hated) the console in many ways for a lot of the year, nonsensical dashboard? Snap-a-censored crap? only 2 and half games available? 3 apps available for most of the year (still a concern of mine TBH) but BF4 and DR3 probably saw me through.

Now? It's ace, and by ace? I mean almost ace, and by almost ace? I mean it's ace when it's not raging me into a rage coma of rage. Games are now hitting and the dash (although still nonsensical in many many ways) is a bit more stable(ish).

I'm still worried about the lack of apps ...... after a year? there's still hardly any TBH and by now I'd have thought they'd have Iplayer, facewank, titter, and a whole host of knocks off too. The media player is getting there but you want a choice, like when you search for one on google play there are 100s of them all pretty decent too. I've just ordered a shiny 2TB extHD so that will be pretty awesome when I set up my movies/tv shows etc.

BF4, DR3 and Diablo have the standout gaming moments for me and I'm not ashamed to admit I've used the 'xbox record that' for some awesome stuff with them.

I am deffo now happy(er?) with my XO and am pretty sure it'll come good now, Diablo 3 probably helped (a lot) at the right time
Last edited by koopa42 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Beans

Re: Xbox One year ....er .... one

Post by The Beans » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 am

I'm happy with it these days. It's my main machine despite also owning a PS4.

The freebie indie games are dire though. Microsoft's policy on indies is just ridiculous.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 am

Same here. My PS4 hasn't been turned on for months.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 am

A few thoughts - I've owned mine since launch:

It still annoys me a little that all my Xbox Live arcade games from 360 etc aren't usable on my Xbox One.

Would like to be able to play certain Xbox 360 games and the lack of any backward compat ruins that a little, but hey gotta move forward sometimes I guess. Would just have been nice to be able to play Skate 3.

There are a number of quirky bugs in the menu / dashboard, and it's still a bit crappy to navigate but it is much better than it was at launch.

As far as games go, I have PS4 as well, so on Xbox One I generally just play the exclusive stuff so for about ten months I hardly used it. Forza Horizon 2 has changed that - I think it's possibly the best new driving game I've played since GT4. Really fun, good mix of rally / normal cars and it's just really well made and presented. It's a great game, I recommend it to any folks who liked Burnout Paradise or similar.

Just got COD yesterday, played for about 20 minutes, seems ok...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:02 pm

It's been an ok start, getting better now though. June to September was just dead. For games I've played I'd say:

Good: Titanfall, Child of Light
Worth playing: D4, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3
Bad: Destiny, Watch Dogs, MGS Ground Zeroes, Halo Spartan Assault

I like the pad and don't mind the UI or dashboard, though a bit more customisation (gamer pics, backgrounds etc) would be welcome. Media is awful, considering it was sold as a TV machine they still don't have iplayer.

My biggest issue is the lack of games made specifically for the XB1. Far too many are just last gen ports or cross gen games. It doesn't make them bad games, and I don't expect all singing and dancing graphics on everything, but 360 games in higher resolution is not what I'm after. The indie games are just cack, only on there so microsoft have something to give away.

Next year looks better but they need a lot more games at the next E3 to really get things going.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm

I will wait for some douche who doesnt own one to start trapping off before i weigh in :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:30 pm

gman72 wrote:I will wait for some douche who doesnt own one to start trapping off before i weigh in :wink:

Isn't it strange that the people who don't own one have the strongest opinions.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:31 pm

gman72 wrote:I will wait for some douche who doesnt own one to start trapping off before i weigh in :wink:
Isn't that pretty much asking someone to do that? :?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:46 pm

We shall see.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 pm

koopa42 wrote:
Isn't that pretty much asking someone to do that? :?

I'm going to say there's still nothing that makes me want to rush out and spend £400 on one, does that count?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:44 pm

As they only cost £329 I'm not surprised you're not in a rush to pay £400.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Not been massively impressed tbh, Destiny has had some play and despite its flaws is OK, played an hour of Sunset Overdrive which looks promising, hate dashboard compared to PS4 ease of use, Titanfall, dunno, not thecsystem seller hoped but OK. In it for the long term but will stick to exclusives I think koops!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 pm

going to be the first year in a while that I dont buy every system. Xbox one and Wii U. not saying that the PS$ does not appeal to me, because it does, but the truth is that the PS3 hardly got touched last gen.

Hey Koops, for the sake of Equality, where is the Wii U version.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I have no interest in the WiiU, it's games, it's owners, anything about it, so no. Feel free to start a thread though.

I do have an interest in the PS4 because there was a (albeit it very very slight) chance I'd have bought one.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 pm

How come the PS4 only gets the dollar sign, the only profitable part of Sony I believe, are Nintendo and Microsoft not in it for the money!? ;)