How many of your consoles and computers broke?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mayhem

Re: How many of your consoles and computers broke?

Post by Mayhem » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm

My original C64 died eventually after having water accidentally poured on it. Everything else I've ever had is still working, even my 360 :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 am

10 PS2s. TEN. I dont remember WHY, but I was for some reason very determined and wouldnt give up on the hideous things (all of them were early model slimlines). Whatever the reason, I eventually gave up, and sold every single PS2-related thing I owned. Havent missed it for a second, and have refused to touch another one ever since.

Other than that... hmm. I had maybe 2 of the original "grey box" NES systems that broke. The ones with that awful "tape deck" bit that never seemed to work right. Eventually I got that funky other model that came a bit later, and THAT thing has proven to be invulnerable over the years.

Broke a Gameboy also by dropping it. Lost a PSP much later to the same thing.

And an Atari 2600 just randomly died somewhat recently after a time, which is why I have the 7800 now.

Beyond that though... really nothing else, despite the huge number of consoles and computers that I own. Never even had an RROD despite owning more than one 360 for quite awhile (only have one now though).

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 am

My commodore 64 was a light fantastic pack. Had all sorts of trouble with it. The shop wasn’t sure what the issue was and first replaced the power pack, then the datasette before replacing the whole lot completely after weeks of arseing around. Was still utterly temperamental when it came to loading software, but I think that was par for the course with the Commodore 64.

Had similar trouble with my Amiga 500+ also. Modulator troubles. Again took a few weeks before the computer store got round to sorting the issue and supplying me with a wiring modulator. The computer itself was damaged years later and I had to replace the internal disk drive. But this was towards the end of the machines life.

RROD on my xBox 360 like most people. That was after owning the console for years though.

Some of the older stuff I have these days though is getting a bit ropey. Dodgey pins in my European NES means that games cut out randomly and revert to that flashing red screen.

Had to replace the membrane in my speccy as the original had cracked in several places.

My N64 is also getting a bit dodgy. It doesn’t seem to like some carts, which take a few trys to get working.

My first PS2 never worked properly either. Games were playable and all, but sections of polygons and textures would drop out occasionally in a lot of games.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 am

My Amstrad CPC 464 Power supply caught fire. This was about 7 years after we bought it though. My NES has the flashing light, won't read carts error, The 360 RROD but got it fixed under warranty, PS3 YLOD but got it replaced by GAME. I've got a Vectrex I got off ebay that doesn't work properly, think it's just some dry solder joints but my soldering skills are crap and I need someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:07 pm

My Master System 2 broke but that was mine and a friends fault as we were arguing over who's turn it was next and the console got pulled off the desk :x thankfully my mum managed to persuade Curry's that it just developed a fault and they replaced the whole system :mrgreen:

Other than that it's just been the usual modern day suspects...
I've had two PS2 (different generations) just stop reading discs and my first 360 developed the RRoD twice (which were both fixed by microsoft) and then the DVD drive broke

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

My Commodore 16 and since then several +4's have broke, I was talking to somebody who helps run a Retro Museum and he said Commodore used a cheap part and that if it was soldiered the Plus 4 would never break... If only I had known that would love a working plus 4

My Atari 2600 woody and Colecovision got damp in the attic when I took them apart the circuitry was rusted..

Old PS1's and my messiah chipped PS2 notorious for breaking

X Box 360 red ringed

My Commodore 64 broke a few times and was repaired still works apart from the tab needs to be wedged up

My Tomy Kingman broke yesterday :twisted:

My CDI wouldn't load games half the time, the battery died and wouldn't save games, luckily my friend fixed it and installed a new battery Zelda now saves
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I burnt all my graphics cards that I had and some sound cards died on me too, otherwise nothing. Even my old Famiclone still works... :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 pm

I've been quite lucky really. The only console deaths have been:

2 x phat PS2's. Technically still worked but the laser started scratching discs. Both were the really annoying SCPH-50003 models too which I couldn't find guides to fix (they are a bit different inside) so were sold as scrap on ebay.

1 x SNES that refused to read cartridges or just kept cutting out. Even after fitting a brand-new cart connector and thoroughly cleaning the whole thing it still didn't work so again, sold as scrap on ebay.

My Wii is also currently sitting dead beneath the TV. The laser has stopped reliably reading discs and everything keeps crashing due to disc read errors. It's not cost-effective to have it repaired by Nintendo (if they even offer the service anymore) so I plan to replace with a Wii-U since you can do a system transfer but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

My original Xbox is getting a bit dodgy thanks to the sh*tty Thomson DVD drive but thankfully a very kind chap on Retro Collect is sorting me with a superior Samsung drive that I will install to keep that console going.

Had approximately 3 PC's (2 towers and one laptop) die spectacularly thanks to crippling viruses. The laptop was completely and utterly ruined by some nasty f****r virus called 'smitfraud c' or something like that.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Had approximately 3 PC's (2 towers and one laptop) die spectacularly thanks to crippling viruses. The laptop was completely and utterly ruined by some nasty f****r virus called 'smitfraud c' or something like that.
I have yet to find a computer that I couldn't fix due to a virus. If I can't get a PC to work after completing a full virus scan (which has been extremely rare), I'll wipe it and re- install the OS. No virus can survive a hard drive format.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 am

Wow. you lot have been very unlucky. Seems I got off lightly!
MattyC64c wrote: No virus can survive a hard drive format.
CIH can. It Overwrites your BIOS. The first time you restart your PC your sunk. Technically the virus might be gone but your PC is dead.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:31 pm

CIH is an extremely old virus, which effected Win9x PC's between 1998 and 2001. Newer versions of Windows from XP onwards are unaffected. This type of virus predates BIOS restore functions on modern PCs. So if something similar was to come out now, it wouldn't kill your machine.

These days 99% of viruses are designed for their author/s to make money.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes it can't affect modern computers. The point is viruses can be created that can't be removed. People that write viruses can be insanely clever when they want to be :)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:04 pm

1 PS1 with a broken laser, 2 360s red ring and another break the disc tray, but other than that I've been pretty lucky

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:12 pm

My Commodore C64 C conked out on me just before one Christmas but my dad managed to get it back to me in time. Also the cassette deck was very temperamental - Until I acquired an older version (big square heavy thing) which was (and still is) bullet proof.

Various PC components have broken down in the past, but with upgrading, building your own tower units and so on I think it was par for the course. I did manage to ruin a PC once by ripping out the processor before I had pulled the locking arm up which held it in place :oops:

My son has had issues with several Xbox 360s as well as the Xbox One being DOA. (Touch wood) my PS3 is still rumbling along happily. All the Nintendo consoles I have owned have been bullet proof as they (SNES, N64, GBA) took one hell of a beating.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:29 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
I have yet to find a computer that I couldn't fix due to a virus. If I can't get a PC to work after completing a full virus scan (which has been extremely rare), I'll wipe it and re- install the OS. No virus can survive a hard drive format.
Well I can't remember the specifics but a system wipe was of course one of the first ideas. At least one (possibly 2) of those PC's had viruses that wouldn't let me do a re-format or do anything with the settings just after booting up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.