How many of your consoles and computers broke?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

How many of your consoles and computers broke?

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:59 pm

How luck or unlucky have you been with your systems over the years? Did you experience many system failures?

The first machine I had problem with was the Commodore 64 in the form of the newer C64, which broke a few weeks after Christmas. I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it, I think I just didn't turn on or something. That must have been Christmas 1986 or 87 - I was only 8 or 9 at time. The replacement worked right up to when I sold it in 1992.

The next one to have a problem was my first PC. It was back in 1997 and the CD-ROM drive failed and I paid some computer shop to get it replaced. I think it cost me £50. It was a shoddy drive though and seemed a fair bit noisier than the old drive. Towards the end of its life my old trusty 486 based computer's hard drive was on the way out - but I got rid of the whole machine before it totally went.

Then sometime in 2000 my Intel P2 PC PSU went up in smoke. I took the PC to a repair shop, which in hindsight now may not have been a good idea as they seemed to me now as nothing but a bunch of rip off merchants. At that time I didn't know how to build and repair computers, so they probably screwed me over. The guy told me the motherboard had gone including the DVD drive, the HDD and the graphics card. And because I had no way of knowing at the time, I had no way to test if they were still working or not. The replacement machine cost me £400 and even though the spec seemed better on paper, it was never as good as the old one it replaced.

In 2003 I started building my own PCs and since then, apart from a few DVD and graphics fails I've been mostly lucky. One of the graphics cards that burnt itself out was £300. I've never bought a graphics card for more than £200 since. All of my PCs have been replaced before they died. The last one I had I kept running for 7 years. It was only replaced April last year. I'm thinking of upgrading it this year though.

I've had some problems with the Xbox 360's. I've had three replacements and one new one since I bought my first in 2006. I also had a couple of replacement Xbox One's, but it turned out the culprit for their failure was the power adapter I was using, the consoles were not faulty until I used that faulty adapter.

Antiriad2097

Re: How many of your consoles and computers broke?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:05 pm

I killed my Oric, shorted out a parallel port connection while testing a joystick I was rewiring. Stupid really.

My breadbin C64 had a power pack meltdown and kill it, so that was a rare instance I managed to convince my parents to deal with an evil mail order company and got it repaired, with a new PSU from them too. I think the repair and PSU cost me more than the £35 I'd bought it for from Woolies originally!

My Speccy has had a couple of keyboard membrane issues, but I repaired those myself, slicing the membrane open and stuffing bits of foam from Citadel miniature packaging in between the layers to keep them apart when the bubbles burst. Works fine like that.

I don't think my other systems had any issues for years after, my STs ran pretty flawlessly.

My PS1 had drive issues, but the pittance I paid for an extended warranty at Dixons actually paid off, since I had three new systems from them in the time it ran for. iirc it was only about £40 for the warranty on my £250 PS1, worked out well for me. I think it may be the only time I've bought one of those things since usually they're a waste of cash.

In the late 90s (99 I think), I bought my first CDRW drive for my PC. It cost £140, a huge amount at the time, and was dead within a year. Gutted, especially as it meant I let someone down with some software supplies I'd promised. I tried and tried to burn that disc, but it just wouldn't read reliably, the laser had gone.

Since then, its all been minor stuff, usually PSU failures or other PC components on machines that are due for upgrade/replacement anyway.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:37 pm

The only one that has ever broken for me was my original Xbox 360. Even then, the replacement, which was just a refurbished old-style 360, has worked fine ever since. I've been really lucky I suppose.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:44 pm

I have had a couple of Amiga 500s die on me over the last couple of years, but considering their age I think that is understandable.
I'm sticking with my A1200 with a CF card in it from now on.

Occasionally had parts of my PC go on the blink (nothing for over 7 years now), nothing that has borked the whole system though.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 pm

My original, rubber key 48k Spectrum died. Replaced, under warranty, with a 48k+.

My SNES died after 11 months and stayed in its box until 2011 when a guy at work replaced the fuse for me.

I've had 3 xbox 360's but that's normal.

Apart from those, I've been pretty lucky. Still have my original Atari VCS, Dreamcast, Megadrive, PS1 (although it sometimes has to be stood on its end to read discs). Still have a few original lcd's (incl AstroWars) that are still working fine.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I have had 1 ps1 and 2 psp's brake other than that nothing else has broken.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:24 pm

consoles have been mostly fine, pcs on the other hand have been a pain in the ****

first one to go was a computer i bought cheaply from my dad's mate, used it up till early 08, a virus killed it dramatically, replaced with an acer laptop, lasted 4 years before windows crashed it every time it was used, installed linux and got another 12 months before the psu died. might buy another as i have loads of music on there.
hard drive died on current laptop, my mate fixed it, cost us £45 for a new hard drive, then the cost of a pizza and a crate of cider.
md/ms psu died, my mate got me to send it to him, fully refurbed it and sent it back, earlier this year
ps3 pad not charging at the moment, not sure if its a dud battery or charging point, father in laws ps3 laser has gone, it is in a box unloved at our house currently

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm

My first Lynx broke, but that was because my brother spilt a pint of lemonade on it and then knocked it on the floor. Poor thing had no chance, thankfully it was insured.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Loads of consoles :( Dreamcast on launch wouldn't load games same with the Gamecube, very annoying as I turned up for a midnight launch only to get it home and it refused to work. Was too late to go back and they'd sold out by then so had to wait a couple of weeks!

Only other computer I can remember breaking was around the mid 80's with the Commodore 16 power brick. It was so huge it kept falling off the desk I was only 5/6 at the time so prolly pushed by accident a few times. Then one day it just refused to work and that was that, I was so forlorn I can recall making a computer out of a shoebox desperate to play games :shock: I think I drew Mr Puniverse on its screen :lol:

For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Been fairly lucky so far, my original PS1 eventually died a death after 4 years of constant use. went from only working upside down to totally not reading disks...might have lasted longer if I only used original games and not CD-R's.

More recently my PS Vita has completely messed up and needs to be sent of for some kind of repair, Sony wont touch it as the warranty has ran out.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:50 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Been fairly lucky so far, my original PS1 eventually died a death after 4 years of constant use. went from only working upside down to totally not reading disks...might have lasted longer if I only used original games and not CD-R's.

More recently my PS Vita has completely messed up and needs to be sent of for some kind of repair, Sony wont touch it as the warranty has ran out.

Same issue I had. no problems at all, but once I had it modded it would only work upside down.

Not mine as such, but after having so many friends have issues with games not loading, keys not registering properly etc I choose to by an amstrad instead. Never had any issues with it at all.

First 360 got the red lights.

only other one is my first snes, I had an import adaptor and my cousin pulled the game of it when the power was still on and it never worked again. Auntie ordered a new one from the catalogue and my dad swapped the insides and sent it back. little but naughty.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 pm

My C64's SID chip went bad so I had no sound for a long time, also the other joystick port stopped working at some point (faulty CIA chip?). An interesting side effect was that some games used either one of those for seeding random numbers and things were not that random after that :mrgreen: Pirates! kindly told me upon loading that it cannot run because of the issue.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:40 pm

My C64c stopped loading games one day, we had sent it back for a refund then buy another it took months in the end :(
My Amiga 600 internal floppy drive, it was £60 plus vat for a new one :shock:
3x Xbox 360's - Both RROD and drives dieing
I had a PC gfx card die on me plus a few HD's over the years
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I think we had to return our Speccy 48k+ a couple of times, then had a master system 2 that was DOA, and of course my launch PS1 that I paid nearly £300 for stopped reading discs after a couple of years.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:57 pm

My first ever C64 did not work properly, had to wait for it to be repaired :(
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube