Imagine Publishing now own the rights to Crash & Zzap!64

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Imagine Publishing now own the rights to Crash & Zzap!64

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:25 am

I just don't see how that would be in any way commercially viable. Things like the bookazines make money because they are reprint and therefore cost very little money to get on the shelves. Creating an original-content Zzap!64 or Crash would be a massive risk as a separate, standalone product. (My reference to people whining was if these were smaller tributes bundled with the mag.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:29 am

I'd buy a few reprints of Crash for the nostalgia. I'm far more interested in that than RG, a magazine I haven't been interested in for over a year. I've got a couple of mates who have never bought RG and have no interest in it whatsoever but they were fairly excited about the possibility of picking up a mag from our glorious Spectrum days without having to trawl through ebay scummers.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 am

The Beans wrote:I'd buy a few reprints of Crash for the nostalgia. I'm far more interested in that than RG, a magazine I haven't been interested in for over a year. I've got a couple of mates who have never bought RG and have no interest in it whatsoever but they were fairly excited about the possibility of picking up a mag from our glorious Spectrum days without having to trawl through ebay scummers.
Without trying to seem argumentative (against RG) I agree with the above.
I buy 1 mag a month and I buy it without question (even though I have a LOT of issues which I barely looked at due to the content).
However, if say Crash was republished, from the start (full of non-relevant content in Craig's eyes) I'd drop RG in an instant.
That goes for other mags too by the way, TV Gamer, Your Sinclair etc. etc.

Playing/collecting old games is nostalgic. Part of RG's appeal is/was nostalgia. However, for the last few years the nostalgic feeling within the mag has went downhill. Iphones, PS4, 360, 3DS.
Shoehorning in multiple new releases on the flaky notion that it's retro "in essence"!!!!

I should also add that I wouldn't be interested in a "new" version of Crash.
It would be the originals (in full or in part) or nothing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:00 am

It could work as a one off, a compilation of all the Crash Smashes with features being the interviews and dev diaries, but I don't see much money in it beyond that. Back issues are too readily available as hard copy or downloads for much else.

Maybe the way to go is 'pull out' sub sections in regular RG, reviewing the Speccy and C64 games that came out since the former mags' demise, with corresponding fearures and interviews, with new developments included.

You'd really need the other labels for other mags to get widespread appeal. Maybe one of the multi platform names like Ace or The Games Machine. Rotate one of these into the main mag every few months when the content is sufficient, maybe as summer/winter/christmas specials?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:25 am

Think its a bit of a shame. These mags are just 'floating' out there, kept alive thanks to Mort who scanned all the issues. If it wasnt for him they wouldnt be available on the net probably or be so popular and would die a death.

Instead someone i 'think' will try and make a bookazine or 'best of' to keep the name alive/popular and instead its bickering of 'i own this/i own this', well get round a table, sort it out and try and get something sorted.

if not it'll still just 'disappear' and be available to the hardcore few from websites or buying dvds off ebay.

Shame. We all want a 'best of' or something similar and its all caught up with legal tape etc. Frustrating

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:52 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:but I don't see much money in it beyond that. Back issues are too readily available as hard copy or downloads for much else.
Probably right. But other than reprinting old mags what would you use the name for?
Sticking the logo on some sub-par publication and hoping the nostalgia freaks lap it up?

I'm old but not gullible.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 pm

stvd wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:but I don't see much money in it beyond that. Back issues are too readily available as hard copy or downloads for much else.
Probably right. But other than reprinting old mags what would you use the name for?
Sticking the logo on some sub-par publication and hoping the nostalgia freaks lap it up?

Sadly I am both! :(

If they stuck a Sinclair logo on pretty much any peice of technology I'd probably snap it up.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:36 pm

the_hawk wrote:Sadly I am both! :(
:lol:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:17 pm

With the back to the 80's feature finished it would be nice of they could replace that with reprints of classic reviews from these magazines.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:00 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:With the back to the 80's feature finished it would be nice of they could replace that with reprints of classic reviews from these magazines.
I wouldn't like that. I love Zzap64 but reprints would just be lazy magazine filler.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm

stvd wrote:

I agree. I'm not going to pay someone who sticks censored to a famous brand from back in the day; just like happened with Atari.

Not to say Imagine would do this , but just in general.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 am

stvd wrote:

Lets see what they do first. I can see a 'bookazine' of lots of the best Crash reviews etc. Volume or two of that i hope.

I've got all the Crash cbr files but it would be great to have one new emag/bookazine of lots of them. Just a shame as at the moment all these scans are just doing 'nothing' out there gathering dust for many people. Again if it wasnt for people like Mort many of us the last 20 years would never be able to read Crash as lots of people dont bother with the old physical versions.

Think its good somethings going to happen with them. Bit like the old Ultimate games 'no no they're denied' so they're just sat there gathering dust trapped in an IP hell and lots of people wont be able to play them (Unless they google around a bit ;)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Any news on the Zzap/Crash front?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:57 am

knight_beat wrote:Any news on the Zzap/Crash front?
I never heard back from anyone. But I imagine it's always been nothing more than a trademark grab, and one done in bad faith.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com