Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

col75

Post by col75 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
col75 wrote:All the star wars games! man they just bite.. the lego one's are ok but wtf is with the others?
Obviously not played Tie Fighter then... or ESB on 2600
i did play tie fighter and i stand by the biteness of that game!
Last edited by col75 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's the point of mining for nose gold if you can't share it with the townspeople?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:39 pm

col75 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
col75 wrote:All the star wars games! man they just bite.. the lego one's are ok but wtf is with the others?
Obviously not played Tie Fighter then... or ESB on 2600
i did and i stand by the biteness off the games!
fair enough! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SKYNET

Post by SKYNET » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Ive always hated Mario 64. Even when it first came out I thought it was very average and have never understood why its regarded highly by a lot of people.

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:34 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
MRMIdAS wrote:*Raises the flame shield*

Half life/counterstrike (series)
Final Fantasy (series)
Tekken (series)
Art Of Fighting (series)
Tetris (series)
Guilty Gear (series)
Final fight (series after 1)
Agree with most, apart from :

Half life??? :D
Tekken.

Tekken is strange as it has gone through major changes with nearly every game released - My personal views :

Tekken - Would be challenger to VF crown and a really bad job too.

Tekken 2 - Amazing, how to make a sequel that imporves on nearly every aspect of the original.

Tekken 3 - Loved by many, I'm not one of them! Took out some of the better characters and was just too different in my book.

Tekken Tag Tournament - Genius. The most fun you can (legally) have by beating someone up.

Tekken 4 - What the hell happened here? Disowned by 95% of Tekken fans.

Tekken 5 - Sidestep game has been butchered, and yet as with 4 - something just doesnt feel right. I've tried to love this game, but I just can't. The graphics and sound are stupendous, but the gameplay is just missing a certain magic.
Half Life never grabbed me, did nothing to keep me playing and irritated me to unreasonable lengths.

and counterstrike just frustrates the hell out of me, much rather play UT99.

The only tekken that didn't make want to gouge out my eyes with a spoon was tekken 2, all the others were just godawful.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

Zorrobandito

Post by Zorrobandito » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:47 am

I think the trick with the Star Wars games is that you need to add in the 'thrill' of being in the Star Wars universe. If you are a Star Wars fan then there is always an extra level of enjoyment you are receiving (and I mean that in a very pure way).

Star Wars Games That Pulled It Off:

Empire Strikes Back - Atari 2600
X-Wing & Tie Fighter (but not vs) - Lucasarts - PC
Star Wars - Atari - Arcade
Dark Forces - Lucasarts - PC
Jedi Knight - Lucasarts - PC
Rogue Squadron 1 & 2 - Factor 5 - Cube

daverage

Post by daverage » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:59 am

Zorrobandito wrote:
I think the trick with the Star Wars games is that you need to add in the 'thrill' of being in the Star Wars universe. If you are a Star Wars fan then there is always an extra level of enjoyment you are receiving (and I mean that in a very pure way).
Hence the game of episode 3 sold so well (including to me) as it was dire game!!
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:10 am

Probably in terms of something that's massively popular I'd go for the GTA games. I really don't like them at all, and it's not because of content or controls or anything as immediate as that. I simply have no interest in playing the type of game they are. My experience with them has always been:

wander about a bit
steal a car
create as much mayhem as possible with the car
get out before it explodes
kill some random people and cops
die
switch off.

I've tried getting into the missions a few times, but the compulsion to fall into the above sequence overcomes me ever time.

Ironically enough I've had infinite patience in the past with games that require far more dedication. I love Final Fantasy 7 and 8, I've played countless hours of EVE Online, WoW, FFXI, and Phantasy Star Online. I've caught them all in Pokémon Blue, gathered up secret costumes and bonus weapons in Resident Evil 2 and 3. Cleared Vagrant Story six times over... yet the very notion of getting deeply involved in a GTA leaves me completely cold.

col75

Post by col75 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Zorrobandito wrote:

Star Wars Games That Pulled It Off:

Empire Strikes Back - Atari 2600
X-Wing & Tie Fighter (but not vs) - Lucasarts - PC
Star Wars - Atari - Arcade
Dark Forces - Lucasarts - PC
Jedi Knight - Lucasarts - PC
Rogue Squadron 1 & 2 - Factor 5 - Cube
I love the star wars films in fact i watched sith last nightn and even have a signed photo off the fet man, wicket,and chewie but the games just bite i dont know what it is i just cant get in to them
What's the point of mining for nose gold if you can't share it with the townspeople?

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I have to say I don't get the "buzz" of the later Mortal Kombats. I mean one and two were pretty good games but after the second game it all went pear shaped. I play a lot of 2D fighting games and generaly like most of them but the later MK games I just can't understand...

I also feel the same way about the later Tekken games to. I mean I love Tekken 2, 3 (to a certain extent) and mt fave being Tekken Tag but 4 and 5 are nothing to write home about and Namco droped the ball I think.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Danny wrote:I have to say I don't get the "buzz" of the later Mortal Kombats. I mean one and two were pretty good games but after the second game it all went pear shaped. I play a lot of 2D fighting games and generaly like most of them but the later MK games I just can't understand...

I also feel the same way about the later Tekken games to. I mean I love Tekken 2, 3 (to a certain extent) and mt fave being Tekken Tag but 4 and 5 are nothing to write home about and Namco droped the ball I think.
I'm in full agreement with you statement about the Mortal Kombat games. I've never played any Tekken games other than Tekken 3, which I quite like!

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:38 am

This probably won't be a popular one, but I secretly hate the Street Fighter series.

When I played the original SF conversion for the Speccy, I thought it was an ok, nothing special game. SFII just didn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on why, but every time I try and play it I get a feeling of boredom and not caring if I win or lose - basically it just makes me want to go and do something, anything other than playing it. However, because it's supposedly such a classic that I keep trying to pretend it's fun and try to find the good in it.

I can't think of any other game that makes me feel like this.

I've tried going back to it and giving it another chance, with SF Alpha on the Playstation, and SF3 3rd Strike on the DC (which is probably my favorite)

I just don't get why Capcom keep churning out more and more variations of the theme, all the alpha games, all the turbo, super dooper champion editions, the Capcom vs SNK, Capcom vs Marvel, Capcom vs Namco etc etc etc - it just seems a bit laughable to me. And don't even get me started on the storyline, the comic books, the action figures, people's weird obsession with the mystical power that enables Ryu to shoot fireballs from his hands, or the whole Chun Li thing...

I wonder what would have happened if the development team behind SFII had decided to continue working on Final Fight games instead of StreetFighter. I wonder if the scrolling beatemup genre would have fallen as flat as it did, while vs fighters continued to evolve as they have.

Don't get me wrong, I do like 1 on 1 fighting games, the early Mortal Kombat's were great, havent played much KoF but it has a more fluid feel to it than SF. Love the Tekken series and Soul Calibur. I just (secretly) hate Street Fighter.

Ah, that actually feels better, great idea for a thread :)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 am

woody.cool wrote:
Danny wrote:I have to say I don't get the "buzz" of the later Mortal Kombats. I mean one and two were pretty good games but after the second game it all went pear shaped. I play a lot of 2D fighting games and generaly like most of them but the later MK games I just can't understand...

I'm in full agreement with you statement about the Mortal Kombat games. I've never played any Tekken games other than Tekken 3, which I quite like!
I'd almost agree with the above comments.

For Mortal Kombat the series died after MK2 and I think that in hindsight, it should have remained a 2D fighter like King of Fighters and Street Fighter (even though both have had 3D games in Maximum Impact and the EX series respectively). War Gods proved that it was unwise to make the leap to 3D and only Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance should be applauded for trying something different, with the "arts" system it incorporates.

Spot on about Tekken too. Tekken Tag is the highlight of the series in so many ways and the first three are great games, even though I only really like No.2

Tekken 4 onwards and the spark just disappeared. There is nothing even remotely exciting about these games now and it seems that the programmers care to much about character customisation - see Tekken 5, Dark Resurrection and the trailer for Tekken 6.

It's a FIGHTING game for gods sake, not London Fashion Week. Stop pissin about and go back to basics. Leave all the cutomisation to the home ports for people that really care, like Trinny and Suzannah :o
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

daverage

Post by daverage » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:05 am

I quite liked SF2 (the original that got ported to the snes)
After that they just got to complicated. I can't make head nor tales of the Alpha series!!

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:
For Mortal Kombat the series died after MK2 and I think that in hindsight, it should have remained a 2D fighter like King of Fighters and Street Fighter (even though both have had 3D games in Maximum Impact and the EX series respectively). War Gods proved that it was unwise to make the leap to 3D and only Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance should be applauded for trying something different, with the "arts" system it incorporates.
The reason MK got poo after MKII was because it tried to be killer instinct with it's "dial-a-kombo's" and the CPU's constant reliance on cheaping you (i'm the first to admit all MK's do this, but 3 (3, ultimate and trilogy) was the worst for this) and it got frustrating WAY too early.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

daverage

Post by daverage » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:41 am